Jim O'brien

cossiemfc

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think he's a good player and he deserves his place in the team at the moment. i just don't think it'll be that hard to replace an extremely attack minded winger who has scored one (deflected) goal in near enough 50 appearances and very rarely crosses the ball especially when we have paul slane ready to step up soon.

I do agree with what yer saying and can't really recollect him playing a massive part in goals from open play however I think those stupid tackles he draws have been very very important to us this season. At one point we were all wondering where the goals from open play were going to come from but it wasn't a major concern as we were scoring from corners, free kicks around the box and penalties. Bet Jim was responsible for winning a good portion of them.

I think were still trying to find ways to make our striking partnerships really work and once that clicks I think you'll see him contribute a lot more to goals in open play.

Would love Jim to score a last-minute winner and calmly saunter up to McGhee saying, "Why the F*ck would I want to play for you, I wasn't good enough for ye when ye were here....erse".

McGhee comes out and states he is interested in one of our top performers a week before we play them? Pretty low tatctic and pretty much what we've come to expect from him. Would love it if Gannon came out and slaughered him for that as the press certainly won't.

McGhee comes out and states he is interested in one of our top performers a week before we play them? Pretty low tatctic and pretty much what we've come to expect from him. Would love it if Gannon came out and slaughered him for that as the press certainly won't.

There isn't a direct McGhee quote to go on though.

Was there not one on the BBC website?

Not that I could see - and I cant remember one in the Star or Express articles either. Very poor from the beeb.

Aberdeen aim to negotiate a pre-contract agreement with Motherwell winger Jim O'Brien in January. Dons manager Mark McGhee signed the 22-year-old during his time at Fir Park and is an admirer of the player.

O'Brien began his career at Celtic and had loan spells at Dunfermline and Dundee United before joining 'Well.

Meanwhile, McGhee is also likely to rekindle his interest in Plymouth full-back Jim Paterson, with Charlie Mulgrew yet to sign a new deal at Pittodrie.

Former Celtic defender Mulgrew has become a mainstay in the first team at Pittodrie since leaving Wolves in 2008 and has been offered a contract extension.

o.gifHowever, like O'Brien, he will be free to negotiate with other clubs at the turn of the year if a deal is not concluded before then.

McGhee also worked with Paterson, who can operate in midfield, at Motherwell and investigated the possibility of taking the 30-year-old on loan at the start of the season.

If O'Brien left for a Championship club i would be pleased for him as i would like every player to try to acheive to play in the best leagues and for the best teams and of course financially look after himself and or family.

HOWEVER if he were to go to Aberdeen personally i think his progress and career will falter as Aberdeen to me is a step down from Motherwell.

HOWEVER if he were to go to Aberdeen personally i think his progress and career will falter as Aberdeen to me is a step down from Motherwell.

I think that maybe a bit wishful thinking. We can get away with saying its a sideways step given Aberdeens predicament both on and off the field, but to say that a bigger club with bigger fan base, who finished above us last season and poached our manager off us is a step down is just the talk of a claret and amber goggled fundamentalist. Sorry.

Saying that, i wouldn't say it will be a step up, and would like to think if he go's he will be going down south.

People are saying Slane can replace JOB should he leave. I have no doubts this would work, however is JOB not a left winger, and Slane is a right winger I believe ...

Nah, both are just typical 'wingers', can see them being able to play on both sides. Slane, however, played on the left at the start of the season. O'Brien was more of a right winger last season and left this season.

Although we have Slane and Humphrey, and Murphy to a point, I would hate to see JOB leaving, especially to any of our league rivals, he is the best dribbler in the team. Saying that, I would say his poor judgement of when to release a pass has cost us a couple of goals this season

Both club and player have to agree to any termination of a pre-contract agreement.

This was all provoked around the time of Boumsong's move to Rangers. He was the first notable player to come into our league with this sort of deal. He agreed to move from Auxerre in the January, despite interest from Liverpool, a couple of clubs from both Serie A and La Liga. He agreed the £40k-a-week deal at Rangers, and come March realised that he could now gain comparable wages as one of the above mentioned clubs interest in him had increased, despite him signing the deal. He then went along all possible avenues to try and get himself out the deal, but understandably Rangers refused and as such he became a Rangers player and lasted just the 6 months before moving on to Newcastle.

So, there is loopholes to get out of these sorts of contracts, but helluva unlikely.

i think he's a good player and he deserves his place in the team at the moment. i just don't think it'll be that hard to replace an extremely attack minded winger who has scored one (deflected) goal in near enough 50 appearances and very rarely crosses the ball especially when we have paul slane ready to step up soon.

Ok fair enough he's only scored one but its the extra bit of positivity he gives the team. He wants to get forward and attack the opposition and he gets us into attacking position aswell. He just has that bit of extra push getting forward.

it might happen it might not but while i think JOB is a class player i think he needs to find a new agent if he moves up their what i would do is either wait for a offer from an English side or let his contract run out and move to someone half decent do yourself a favour lad and dont jump at the first offer

Today's Record has Gannon saying that he wouldn't stand in O'Brien's way and would tell a player if there was interest in him. Which is fair enough, but more concerned that there was no mention of him trying to keep O'Brien. Hopefully that is taking place.

That's him telling Aberdeen to put up or shut up, not that he's not trying to keep J O'B

Today's Record has Gannon saying that he wouldn't stand in O'Brien's way and would tell a player if there was interest in him. Which is fair enough, but more concerned that there was no mention of him trying to keep O'Brien. Hopefully that is taking place.

The Record article is probably a re-hash of the interview that was in the Sunday Herald.

The Record article is probably a re-hash of the interview that was in the Sunday Herald.

Never seen the one in the Herald but the one in the Record has very little quotes from Gannon and he doesnt mention O'Brien , the headline mentions O'Brien and the bit at the end that isnt from Gannon mentions that Slane is near to a return.

Dunno how much O'Brien is on , maybe Gannon think's he can do better for the money. He's dropped him , subbed him and took him out of wide midfield when he had options to do so, i think it's safe to say that he doesnt have as high an opinion of our wing wizard as some on here have.