Motherwell Penalty

cameltoe

Stumbled across this. Commentary provided by that former blue nose "Derek Johnstone" - I would suggest putting your volume right up to catch all the reactions. LOL.

"NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVAAAAAAAAAAAAA, He's a f**KING DIVER REF.....

After all these months I can't believe I forgot we got an injury time nalty against the h**s.

How ironic, given that Derek Johnstone has never dived for a penalty in his illustious career.

Indeed. 1970s (I think). 'Well v Rangers. Willie P through on goal and taken out in the area - ref waves play on. Ball booted up the other end as Motherwell players are aghast. Johnstone chases it, blatantly dives, penalty given and scored.

Not that I hold a grudge for any length of time, or anything... :wallbash:

Indeed. 1970s (I think). 'Well v Rangers. Willie P through on goal and taken out in the area - ref waves play on. Ball booted up the other end as Motherwell players are aghast. Johnstone chases it, blatantly dives, penalty given and scored.

My auld man has never managed to get over that. Still mentions it anytime he hears DJ on Clyde.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ctoM-nNRk&NR=1 -This one shows totally what Craig Brown thought of the penalty being given.

Looking back from When I First started watching the 'Well until Now, I can honestly say that the h**s Cannot complain about that one being given considering their team had the likes of Kyle Lafferty in it. Also I cant remember many times other than that where a motherwell player has dived.

I still don't think Murphy Dived. I don't think it should have been a penalty either.

Murphy had jumped to try to clear the keeper, and fell over when he landed. He got up instantly. The ref had the whistle in hiw mouth and blowing before Jamie even had a chance to get up. it was a simple fall, which the ref mis-read.

I would still have rather we won the game at FP where the goal was wrongly chopped off, and lost the game at ibrox. we would have been a point better off.

Your right it was John Greig who fouled W Pettigrew in the box, Peter McCloy booted the ball up the other end, Derek Johnstone was going away from the goal at the corner of the 18 yard box, when he dived. Took the wind out of Motherwell after leading 2 v 0 at half time, and went on to lose 3 v 2. Sickening! Little blue nosed ref!

Your right it was John Greig who fouled W Pettigrew in the box, Peter McCloy booted the ball up the other end, Derek Johnstone was going away from the goal at the corner of the 18 yard box, when he dived. Took the wind out of Motherwell after leading 2 v 0 at half time, and went on to lose 3 v 2. Sickening! Little blue nosed ref!

The referee that night was JPR Gordon (or something like that) who was charged with corruption later in his career. He must have been 50 yards away from the ball when fat boy dived and I remember him running the length of the pitch before ending up in our penalty box pointing to the spot. I have cried on very few occasions while watching Motherwell but don't mind admitting I was in tears that night.

2 wrongs don't make a right. Murphy dived imo and Craig Brown's reaction was absolutely right. Never going to not take it obviously, but cheating is a blight on our game regardless of whether or not it's our own club.

My recollection of that night at Hampden ( We were behind the goals at the Celtic end) was not only that Johnstone dived for the penalty but he dived from outside the box into the box to get it.

The one at Ibrox last season is the only one I can remember off the top of my head ever getting against Rangers and I have followed the Dossers since the days of the Ancell Babes.

I totally agree that it's wrong to think that it's ok for Murphy to do it just because Rangers players have dived in the past, and I, too, detest diving, but I don't think that was the point - it was more about the hypocrisy of Derek Johnstone given his happiness to dive when he was playing.