Best Well Games Ever

Tid

Been too many games to mention, but heres some

1. Skippy sunday 2-1 Motherwell

2. Motherwell v Celtic 3-3

3. Hearts 2-1 to get to the CIS cup final

4. Kilmarnock 1-2. Strange choice here, we got beat at FP but we absolutely hammered them that day. Wave after wave of attack and somehow managed to lose.

5. Dundee Utd 5-3. Obviously game will be remembered for other reasons, but anybody who was there witnessed a tremendous game for 75 minutes. Dont think the highlights were ever broadcast either so you would have to have been there to see it.

no 5 has been mentioned already & rightly so. Hard to remember how good a game that was before the nightmare near the end.

at 5-1 we were sitting in awe giving it how this is the best 'Well performance ever only for the back to earth comedown later that night.

probably fitting that we turned in that performance on such a tragic occasion cos everyone there will remember that as well as the following tragedy.

Tearing Hearts apart at Fir Park the season after we went into administration, we were drifting away at the bottom whereas hearts were riding high in third, pearo and faddy tore the jambos apart and we were 4-0 up after 30 odd mins, big David Partridge even hit a thunder bolt clerance off his own cross bar LOL, 6-1 win what a midweek game :thumbup: . Same season beating rangers, celtic and Livi 6-2 all rank highly for me.

great shout for the top 5.

what a game that was.

any of the techno-heids able to fire up highlights of that one?

finger oot Yabba!!! :evilgrin:

We didnt win this game but the one against Aberdeen in the 80s in the Scottsh at Fir Park when the sheep scored in the first minute and we pounded them for the rest of the game, the place was rammed and from that minute i knew Motherwell was the only team i wanted to follow,

remember that as well.

think it was Hewitt scored & we pummelled them for the next 89 mins & coudn't score.

remember going round to Muirhouse to get picked up after that & passed loads of 'Well boys launching hauf bricks at the Aberdeen buses that parked down towards the college & Our Ladies.

we always took a home defeat gracefully in those days :whistling:

As has been said too many to mention any win against the old firm and hearts, faddys game v livi when butch gave him armband, kirkies 4 against at midden think my favourite has to be 3-2 gainst the tic willie p gettin the winner :-)

Thankfully way way way too many to mention.

Some from Leftfield..........

1-0 at Parkhead 1994, the day after the Beggarz were saved from oblivion. Dougie scores and over 2000 'Well fans sing "Part-time supporters, you're only part-time supporters.

1-0 at Swynecastle 1982, kept the Jambos in the 1st Div and we went up as Champs, and I started work in Edinburgh the following week.

3-2 against the Tims in the Cup in the mid 70's. 2 down at half-time then up step Bobby Graham, Ian Taylor and the Grew to make it 3-2.

3-1 v Spurs in the Texaco Cup 1971. We lost the 1st leg 3-2 and the Double winning Spurs side scored early at Fir Park. Brian Heron, Bobby Watson and Tom Donnelly sent a packed Fir Park wild as we progressed to the Semi.

3-0 v the Buns in 1991 2nd last game of season. Win and they'd won the League, but they were sent packing. Also the Shed's last stand, as seats went in after that.

:cry:

What he said!!!!! :yahoo:

I don't even remember the score (I think it was 0-0 or 1-1), but the night Stevie Kirk got sent off at Love Street after an 'incident' with Billy Abercrombie. Abercrombie eventually followed him, but not until he had been given 2 red cards (and received a 3rd in the tunnel). You don't get to witness things like that very often.

Other memorable games would include the 5-4 Killie match, 2 - 0 win at Cowdenbeath in the Cup, the 1 - 0 last game of the season at Tynecastle that, thanks to Killie knocking in 6 in their game, prevented Hearts being promoted, winning 7 -1 at Kilbowie against a good Clydebank side, Brian McLair scoring 5 goals in consecutive games against the OF, Joe Wark (unusually for him) gifting a goal to Hearts and then playing like a man possessed to ensure we beat them 4 - 2 and, of course, the Cup Final.

In no particular order:

1. Celtic 3rd Round Scottish Cup 3rd Round. Two down at half time, 3-2 winners. My first year as a season ticket holder and my first scottish Cup Tie.

2. 3-1 vs Rangers at Fir Park, same season as above. The 'Well goals were posted on here recently. Vic Davidson was one of the most gifted players I've ever seen at Fir park. Also, I was at a school full of h**s, so Monday morning at school, with my scarf on, was a joy !!

3. 5-4 vs Kilmarnock (late 70's) 0-2 down, 3-2 up, 3-4 down, 5-4 winners. Fucking amazing game.

4. 91 SC Semi Replay 4-2. Went into this with no expectations, thinking we blew it in the first game. c**t of a night, someone crashed into my car on the way home from work, couldn't get a lift, had to go to Hampden in a well fucked up car with a squint front wheel and no drivers window :-) Looked like we were going to get fuckin' murdered in the first 5 mins. Was right behind the goals where Dooooogie equalised in the second half and Psycho landed the screamer to make it 3-2. With both those goals, I couldn't really see the action. Just saw Bonner diving and the ball nestling in the net both times. That was a fuckin' crazy 20 mins or so. Even my Da, who is normally very reserved and well behaved was jumping about mental giving viccies to the Tims and screaming. Was almost in tears at the end.

5. The Hearts game mentioned by Pie and Weeyin. We had already won the 1st Div and didn't need to beat them. Seem to recall they only needed a draw to come up. Can someone confirm though please ? I thought we won 2 or 3 nil, rather than 1. Highlight was walking back to my car, a cortina Mk3 with a Starsky and Hutch style paint job, but in yellow and black (oh dear) and driving up gorgie rd with 'well scarves flying from every window. Lost my back windy and one side windy from missiles hurled by the pissed of jambos. Fuckin' great days.

Can't let this go without mentioning the '91 cup final. I did not enjoy the game one bit. There was too much at stake and despite being 1-0 and 3-1 up, I always had the feeling we were going to blow it. I'd been to every semi we'd been in from 75 up to that point and never seen us win one. I didn't expect us to get past Celtic in the replay so enjoyed that game in hope we might pull it off. In the final, I was never comfortable and never really enjoyed the day up until the final whistle, where I gret like a wean and went out and got pished beyond belief and woke up the following morning face down on the living room floor with the phone in my hand :-)

I've just thought of another 5 games I could put in here, but I'll no bother :-)

Most of mine have been mentioned, beating Celtic 3-2 in the cup after being 2-0 down, beating Spurs in the Texaco Cup, horsing Celtic in the 1991 semi-final, The Cup Final in 1991, but my fifth choice might surprise a few. My dad took me down to Stoke to watch Motherwell in the Texaco Cup and that was my first experience of a penalty shoot out we won 4-3 on pens. It's all a bit vague although the fact that I was there sticks in my memory.

Loads, and most of them have already been mentioned, but it is always special getting it up either of the Mouldy Firm :

1. Wee Fergus McCann's first home game at the piggery when Dougie gatecrashed the party

2. The 1-1 at the piggery when Ian Angus scored right at the death, that was really special

3. Beating R***ers 3-0 at FP to put the breaks on the title party (in '91 or '92?)

4. Skippy Sunday

5. THAT semi-final replay, humping C**tic 4-2

Bit of a 'get it right up ye' theme with all of the above choices but need to mention number 6 as it will always be remembered, and unfortunately not just for the quality of football,but the day we beat Utd 5-3 was by far the best performance I think I've ever seen from the 'Well.

Just a couple a don`t see mentioned:

Motherwell 2-0 Rangers (Sure it was Spenny n Twaddle?) Season 99/00? We just missed out on europe to Hearts, but that was 1 of the best atmospheres I remember at Fir Park, in the May sunshine too!!

Dundee Utd 0-4 Motherwell (Clarky, Ports, Klimpl n the 4th escapes me!) Cupla seasons back under Mcghee am sure? Great day! :thumbup:

Motherwell 2-0 Rangers (Sure it was Spenny n Twaddle?) Season 99/00? We just missed out on europe to Hearts, but that was 1 of the best atmospheres I remember at Fir Park, in the May sunshine too!!

Dundee Utd 0-4 Motherwell (Clarky, Ports, Klimpl n the 4th escapes me!) Cupla seasons back under Mcghee am sure? Great day! :thumbup:

Fitzy.

One that I dont think has been mentioned.

Beating "Celtic Football Club" 2-1 in 96-97. The game where Jamie Dolan was in goals for a good whack of the second half.

Ian Ross (I think) scored in the dying seconds to give us the win.

That 96/97 season was largely shite but it did have the 2-0 win over Lizzies XI that has been discussed. Fucking loved that game

• Like 1

All the usual one like the final and semi final replay in 1991, the league cup semi at Easter Road, Skippy Sunday, the one against Celtic where Jamie Dolan played in goals and Ian Ross scrambled in the winner.

2 always stand out for me.

3-1 v Hearts in the Scottish Cup in 1999. Brannan, Coyle and Tony Thomas! I really thought we were going to win the cup that year.

2-1 v Aberdeen in 2008 in the game that clinced European football. I don't think I've ever wanted to win a game so much and the elation at Porters goal will live with me forever. Probably the only "must win" game that we've actually won!

Special mention to the home game v Odense. What an atmosphere in the build up.

2-1 v Aberdeen in 2008 in the game that clinced European football. I don't think I've ever wanted to win a game so much and the elation at Porters goal will live with me forever. Probably the only "must win" game that we've actually won!

Och there's been plenty 'must win' games where we've come out on top, one of the best being the winner take all Falkirk game in 93, when we just escaped a last day relegation battle at Airdire. They would have beaten us for sure and taken us down with them if we had gone there looking for a nervy win I reckon so that Falkirk win took on added significance.

Then there's the Rangers May Day holiday and subsequently the Dunfermline last day relegation escape. Two more 'must win' games that we managed to escape from with our Premier League place intact even though the Pars game was a draw.

There's a pattern growing so I'll go no further

It feels like we never win these "must win" games!!

2 or 3 (not sure the Rangers spoiler in 1997 counts :rolleyes: ) must win wins in 18 years ain't great though!

I only mentioned those ones as they sprung to mind, and yes the Rangers game counts cos if we'd lost that we'd have been down.

We've won plenty 'must win' games, I just can't be arsed trawling through the records or memory banks to list them.

It was Fitzy with what I believe was has last goal for the Club??? huh.gif

2-1 vs Celtic 96. Howie took a skelp to the heed and Dolan saved the day.

2-2 vs Dunfermline 97. Last day relegation battle. Fir park was rammed.

6-2 vs Hibs 97. 2 nil down in under ten minutes then pumped them the rest of the game.

Don't know if those games stick out more because I was 13 year old and only just started going to games. Fuckin great memories.

More recent times would be 2-1 vs dons to clinch Europe, 2-2 with Hearts the same season for obvious reasons. I'm in no doubt 5-3 vs Dundee United would be in there too on purely footballing terms.

And of course 6-6. Don't gee a fuck that it was pish fitba, only worth a point and made no difference to anything. Easily the most exciting game I've been to.