Saunders Out For The Season

WilliePettigrew

I'd say, Hateley for the next three home games. After once our hopes for the season become a bit clearer, whether top or bottom six I'd like to see Page or whoever at right back and the likes of Meechan, Pollock etc across the team get a start or two to help their development for next season.....with Hateley at right back for the Semi and Final :whistling:

Hateley is a better right back than centre half IMHO

Aye, don't fancy him much at centre half!

I think it very much depends what formation we go for in games who we will play in Saunders' absence. Jennings has a three match man coming up, so Hateley may be needed in midfield then, especially if we go with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation at any point, that would give Page an opportunity at right back. I don't think you can write Page off yet as a fullback, he has only had three starts there (Brechin, Kilmarnock x2) although now he is 21 he will be losing the promising youngster tag soon.

Wouldn't play Hammell or Gunning at right back in a month of Sundays!

I take it Angelis Charalambous isn't making a slant on the first team any time soon?

With Jennings suspended for the next 3 league games Hateley has to play centre midfield.

Page has played 2 games at right back and one at left back. I thought it was a mistake to put Hateley to right back at Killie instead of switching Page and moving Gunning to left back. We need two of Lasley, Jennings and Hateley in centre mid to be competitive so Hateley should be fine at right back for United leaving us a defence of Hammell Gunning Hutchison Hateley with possibly Hollis in goal.

Only one problem with playing Hateley at right back,read in the Evening Times yesterday that Mcall says he picked up an ankle injury in the Killie game as well as Saunders,we also have Hammell and Jeffers struggling for the replay,he says Jeffers is the least serious out of the 4,but more than likely all 4 will be out,not good!!!!

I'd have the Hump at right back, sure he could attack effectively from there whilst he's also disciplined enough to remember his defensive duties.

• Like 1

I'd have the Hump at right back, sure he could attack effectively from there whilst he's also disciplined enough to remember his defensive duties.

There is absolutley no chance of playin the humph at right back! Sure he cud bomb forward and provide some width, but you cant ask him to do both that and be solid at the back. Hes just not that good. Danny alves? Aye. Christopher Cross Humphrey? Naw!

• 4 months later...

According to Twitter he's picked up an ankle injury after 10 minutes.

Quite worrying as he's our most experianced backup and could well have figured against St Mirren. Depending on Hutchesons injury or to allow Hately to move in to midfield as cover for Lasley.

Also a reminder of how threadbare our squad is.

Hopefully it's not too bad.

The original thread title might have been apt.

Apparently he went to control the ball with nobody near him and his knee just buckled. Could be a pretty bad one, did an Accies player not do something similar a last season and was out for months?

Hopefuly it's not as serious as first feared for his sake and ours.