Motherwell Vs Celtic: Cup Final

dazamfc

Serious question , I read this regularly . When did it happen and what does it mean , when i was a kid Fir Park was full of drunk men throwing stuff at each other inside and regularly knocking lumps out each other outside.

Theres folk greetin' their eyes out every single week on here giving it "wont someone please think of the children" over something or another , so where and when does it come from ?

Rightly or wrongly for me there are a few things that I think would be in people's minds when attributing the title to us.

There's the size of the club itself or at least the number staff. There have been a number of players who have referred to the "family atmosphere" within the staff due to the fact that they are relatively few in number, several of whom wear a few hats in the jobs, and some of them have been there for yonks. Take Bill Dickie as a director going back to the 80's if not 70's, JP the physio has a decade plus service, Karen Paterson must be hitting two decades worth as a couple of examples and that's not even including the players. The continuity and atmosphere created by that has meant that its been likened to have a comfortable feel about the place, making newbies feel a bit like they've been welcomed into the family.

There's the network of former players that are either in positions within the club like Stevie Kirk as community officer, Dougie in the bar and several former players that do or have done coaching for the club. There was and may still be the Former Players Club which ensures that former players contributions are noted and they'll be warmly welcomed back. Well perhaps Paul Slane's application might have got lost in the post....:whistling:

There's the support. Not so big that even if you don't happen to be well kent face there is a good chance you can quickly build up a fair number of folk you can count as acquaintances and friends through watching the team and on places like this.

There's the club's attempts to develop links with the community at large through those Fitness schemes, through the stuff with the college and through schools.

Justifiable family club tag? Suppose that's up for debate but there's a few reasons that might be why they've earned the tag.

Randolph

Saunders,Craigan,Hutchinson,Hammell

Hateley,Jennings,Lasley

Humphrey,Murphy

Sutton

Completely agree with this line-up and formation. I believe this is our best chance of winning the cup, and if we get every facet of it right then we'll be in with a real chance. A good blend of tactics and passion will see the cup back at Fir Park!!

If there was ever a guy that deserves to score the winner in the cup final its John Sutton. Won 80 quid on a coupon yesterday considering sticking it all on Sutty to score the winner.

He is our king afterall

In my opinion we have got to have a five man midfield with big Sutts as target man.

My team would be: Randolph, great keeper.

Would go for Ross at right back, because of experience, but I think he is injured. I think it will be Saunders, hopefully, no mistakes and a threat at corners.

Hammell at left back. Solid and dependable. Left us then came back, he deserves a winners medal.

Big Hutchinson at centre half, we haven't missed Mark Reynolds with the big man in there, another threat at set peices.

Craigan our Captain, another guy who left and returned, talks big Hutch through the game and this will be the game of his life, he deserves it.

Hateley as the holding midfielder, sitting in front of the back four allowing Las and Jenno to push further forward.

Humphrey on the right, he has speed to burn and hopefully will run at the left back all day.

Keith Lasley in the centre mid, another guy who has left and came back, player of the year and will run himself into the ground to win this.

He told me that last night. :pleasantry:

Steve Jennings beside Las. Another cracking player, will run all day.

Murphy on the left. his pace and dribbling skill will cause them all sorts of problems. Has really came on to a game recently and his confidence is sky high.

Sutton up front. A great target man and will be a handful for them.

Subs: Hollis, had a great game today. Forbes, looked alright today and played against them in the 2 - 0 game. Gunning, a good loan signing but not better than anybody in the team. Jeffers, good experience and link up play.

I can't make my mind up about the last place, McHugh, Meechan, Casagolda, Page or Jones?

I spoke to Stuart McCall last night and he wouldn't give me any clues about the team except to say that the guys rested today would be starters along with Hammell and Hutchy.

I think the other option could be, Hateley at right back, Saunders on the bench with Jeffers playing behind Sutton.

I think he will go for the more cautious approach which is a 4 - 5 -1 in defence to a 4 - 3 -3 in attack.

In McCall we trust. :notworthy:

Randolph

Hateley,Jennings,Lasley

Humphrey,Murphy

Sutton

Spot on, although if Ross were fit I would think about him instead of Saunders. We must play with a three/five man midfield, if we try and go with Jeffers & Sutton, Humph & Murphy I think we could be out of it by HT. Must keep it tight early doors. Samaras worries me big time.

It's all well and good playing defensive and keeping it tight and ensuring we are in the game but we aren't good enough to defend for ninety minutes. We can't sit off Celtic and allow them to play like we did today, like we did against Rangers at Fir Park and like we did at Tannadice last week. One up front and no out ball doesn't work and it just keeps coming back to us. We need to put in tackles, chase and challenge and most importantlygive John Sutton some support. Celtics defence is pish but is made to look good when a team plays one up front against them and sits back.

It’s a one off game, so we need to have a go right from the start. If we sit back and try and defend they will hammer us. Inverness showed how to play Celtic a few weeks back, if you have a go they are vulnerable at the back. Our 2-0 victory at Fir Park also exposed Celtic’s problems and proved that attack is the best form of defense.

• Like 1

Randolph

Hateley,Jennings,Lasley

Humphrey,Murphy

Sutton

Spot on. Any less than a midfield three and we'll be completely over-run in the middle of the park - the game could be over by half-time.

It's no coincidence we've been pumped every time we've played Rangers apart from the 4-5-1 at Hampden in the CIS Cup semi-final.

Come next Saturday there will be two managers in the Hampden dug-outs.

One of them displayed an unbelievable will to win as a player, for both club & country. Taking no prisoners and always leading from the front during a career that saw him win league titles and domestic trophies.

He backs every one of his players to the hilt, putting 100% into the job every day, and has instilled a sense of pride in a club that had suffered recently under a former manager who doesn't even compare to the man in the job today.

He's taken his team to the Scottish cup final, and the chance to win some silverwear this season, and will deserve every accolade he gets after doing just that.

Regardless of the result though, he's given his clubs fans hope for the season ahead and managed to create a buzz around the club again.

The manager in the other dug out will be Neil Lennon.

You missed out the phrases:

"One is StrawberryBlonde"............................................"The other is a Ginger @@@@er"

(Well ye never know with all this politcal correctness about this now)

Before the Semi I would have had Gunning, Hutchison but having watched Gunning throw the dummy out the pram twice now, most notebly second half against rangers then it has to be Craigan, Hutch. Last thing we need is a defender who is going to jack it if we go 2-0 down.

I think Brazilian made the point that Hutch has been made to look bad in recent weeks due to Gunnings mistakes/ lack of effort.

I want to see a Well team out there. No imposters. Ross, Gunning and I have to say Jeffers as well just have not shown the desire to fight for the jersey for me. Jeffers has that touch of class but he does not show it nearly enough. Saunders over Ross, Hateley over Jeffers and Crags/ Hutch over Gunning. Those are the boys that have put in the hard work over the course of a full season.

Randolph

Saunders, Hutchinson, Craigan, Hammell

Hateley, Jennings, Lasley, Murphy

Sutton, Jeffers

(same as semi-final)

Think Humphrey will run at them as a sub roughly half way into the second half, maybe shove on Jones

Motherwell to win on penalties :D

Well, aint this gona be an exciting wee week!!

Al be settlin down on prob Tue night, with "Simply the greatest" on show, lookin forward to that.

Pop over to FP at some point, get some attire, hopefully a flag or two for the van :yahoo:

Team wise, think pretty much picks itself : 4-5-1/4-3-3.

`MON THE WELL!!! :yahoo::thumbup::yahoo:

think the team that started the semi final should start the final (possibly our strongest team.) On a personal note i hope the hospitality section in the south stand finds it voice. ive been for the two semi finals this year and there has been no atmosphere at all. MON THE WELL :cheers:

Sellik have just cancelled the john kennedy match on sunday. They say it is for security regarding neil lennon.

But surely he is going to the cup final therefore its lies lies and more lies. The benefit match is off as they have won F' all this season so nothing to cheer about.

MON THE WELL