Europa League

el-pidge

Simple question really. The rules and regulations on it seem to change so often that I'm lost

Have we qualified?/ How do we qualify?

does it go to 5th in the league if celtic win the cup?... does it matter whether celtic win the league?... what round would we go in at if we won the cup etc etc etc

The only way we can qualify is by either of the following:

A. We win the cup

B. We lose the cup but Celtic win the league

They are the ONLY two variables that will see us Europe next season

I thought that if Celtic win the league and the cup, we go through as cup runners up.

But "When the Well, go up to lift the Scottish Cup... :fans: ", We'll qualify as Scottish Cup Winners 2010 - 2011

Is that not what i said? :unsure:

If we were to make it, does anyone have any idea of the dates for the first games we'd play? My work is horrible for getting holidays, i'd really need to put them in asap.

Courtesy of Wikipedia

"Scotland (SCO): Motherwell play Celtic in the Scottish Cup final. If Motherwell win the Scottish Cup, they will enter at the 3rd Qualifying round, however if they lose, they get the lowest available place in the Europa League, which is in the 2nd Qualifying round currently reserved for the 3rd place team in the Scottish Premier League. Celtic are guaranteed finishing either 1st or 2nd in the League, therefore if Celtic win the cup, the CW spot will not be needed and will be given to the 3rd placed team in the League instead."

So we win, same entry stage as Aalesund last year, if we lose and Celtic win the league, we enter at Breidablik stage.

As for the dates, I guess they will probably be much the same as last summer give or take (we played our first game against Breidablik on Thursday, 15 July). However there is talk the SPL will start 2-3 weeks earlier than this season, however I don't know if that has been rubber stamped yet or planned for 2012-13.

Courtesy of Wikipedia

"Scotland (SCO): Motherwell play Celtic in the Scottish Cup final. If Motherwell win the Scottish Cup, they will enter at the 3rd Qualifying round, however if they lose, they get the lowest available place in the Europa League, which is in the 2nd Qualifying round currently reserved for the 3rd place team in the Scottish Premier League. Celtic are guaranteed finishing either 1st or 2nd in the League, therefore if Celtic win the cup, the CW spot will not be needed and will be given to the 3rd placed team in the League instead."

So we win, same entry stage as Aalesund last year, if we lose and Celtic win the league, we enter at Breidablik stage.

As for the dates, I guess they will probably be much the same as last summer give or take (we played our first game against Breidablik on Thursday, 15 July). However there is talk the SPL will start 2-3 weeks earlier than this season, however I don't know if that has been rubber stamped yet or planned for 2012-13.

See reading the bit in bold, that sounds as if we are in Europe regardless. The only thing that seems to be up for grabs is whether we go in the 2nd Qualifying Round (If we lose the cup) or the 3rd (if we win). It doesn't say that Celtic either need to win or lose the league. Or am I totally missing the point there?

That's what I read into it as well, especially when the heading for the section that contains that quote is "The following teams have qualified, but their starting round is not yet certain:"

Bert's site is normally more trustworthy than Wikipedia though and it only has Rangers & Celtic as having qualified so far

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/qual2011.html

Does it hinge on the number of Champions League places Scotland have ? - if 1st & 2nd go into the CL, then I would have thought we are in the Europa Cup.

I've a feeling the coefficient dropped though, and only the Scottish league winners qualify for the CL, which screws up the above, so Smellic need to win the league, or we need to get up the table pronto.

My understanding of it anyway, which could well be utter tosh :blink:

MON RA DOSSERS

Yes - if we still had two champions league spots then we would already have qualified but because we have only the one this year - due to the fact that we are the only team that makes an effort in Europe and all the others get pumped in their first match - it is as gaag says earlier!

Come our last spl game this season we could be in the ugly position of (say it quietly) gifting Celtic the title for our own benefit.

Regardless of whether Celtic need to win or not, I'd be surprised to see McCall field a team any stronger (and possibly weaker) than the one he played against Hearts prior to our semi-final.