Lanarkshire's Premier Team

mfcmainstand

Aye, when I was growing up the derby was Airdrie, we only ever played the likes of Accies and Albion Rovers in the Lanarkshire Cup and used to hump them royally. I remember Joe Wark scoring a hat-trick against Accies when we beat them 10-1. I'm afraid the thought of a derby against Accies doesn't do anything for me.

• 2 weeks later...

There were some cracking games with Motherwell, Airdrie and Accies back in the day....

nothing against u steelman but I fuckin hate that saying - appears to be the latest "hip" saying and seems to get used by everyone on tv and my arsehole of a boss!

wee rant over - feeling better now :D

The Cup game a few years ago showed that there is very little appetite in the town of Airdrie for their local football club nowadays. I think most of that went when Airdrieonians ceased to exist. Similarly, Accies lost a lot of support when they went on their travels.

Sadly, our local derbies will never be the same again.

Would take a miricale for Airdre to get back into the top flight. It's a pity because I reckon many would regard as one of the best derbies in scotland

Don't think the polis would agree!

I agree that Airdrie United is basically a different team from Airdrieonians. They have never really had the support of the local fans and most of the guys that stood at Broomfield are long gone.

As I said elsewhere, I'm vaguely gutted that Accies went down. One of my best mates is an Accies fan, and the derby days, however shit the game was, were always excellent. New Year at his bit was always a belter of a two day party.

That, and I have a storming hatred of Motherwell v St Mirren games. They always suck to watch, we usually get beaten, and just generally, St Mirren to me are a bit of a.. nothing.. team. Just there.