John Boyle

underboyleheating

John Boyle is a legend, no doubt about it. His business decisions saved our Club and he gave and still gives 100% to his/our team. We owe him and we won't forget his contributions financially and as a supporter.

John Boyle, thank you.!

Rangers fans may say that Watty is a "LEGNED" but John Boyle to us is a LEGEND.

Yes he's only human, he's made mistakes but you don't get to be a successful businessman without doing so. HE THE MAN.

"To walk only on sunny days is to never reach your destination"

• 2 weeks later...

BBC Sport News Story

Seems to be a lot of sense in this. As he points out the OF have to get out of this EPL/Championship/Atlantic league nonsense that surfaces on a 2 year cycle. It's not going to happen for political and regulatory reasons. Best to get on with what you have here at home and make the best of it. A league divvied up every year primarily due to the performances in the four OF games it pointless and ultimately will result in their own fans turning off in the way that everyone elses does.

Departing Motherwell chairman John Boyle believes the Old Firm must agree to a fairer allocation of revenue.

The teams finishing first and second in the Scottish Premier League currently take 32% of the money dished out.

"The criticism I would have of Celtic and Rangers in my time is that the distribution of monies was too niggardly," Boyle told BBC Scotland.

"By squeezing the other clubs, as they have pretty regularly done, all you get is an ever-more lopsided league."

Boyle, who took over at Fir Park in 1998, is stepping down this summer and handing his shareholding over to the club's supporters.

And, while he is leaving, he is urging new Rangers owner Craig Whyte to lead the way with a new approach to SPL funding.

"He needs to look at the situation with fresh eyes and not say 'we need more and more money' because they want to be in Europe," he said of Whyte's recent takeover at Ibrox.

"Rangers have got a hugely loyal, faithful and sound fanbase. That's where they derive most of their revenue from."

Continue reading the main story

I would say to the Old Firm, be generous

John Boyle

Motherwell chairman

Rangers won a third consecutive title this month, edging out Celtic by one point, with Hearts 29 points behind in third place.

The Glasgow giants each lost only three games to other SPL rivals and 26 years have passed since another team last won the top flight.

"I would say to the Old Firm, be generous," stressed Boyle.

"You're not going to get into the Premiership or even the Championship in England. The politics of sport in the United Kingdom are pretty clear on that front.

"Celtic and Rangers are going to have to play in Scotland. If that's the case, make it a better league.

"Distribute the money more fairly so the other teams can buy better players and make it more competitive.

"What will happen if they continue to apply the squeeze is that the games will become repetitive and beating Celtic and Rangers will become a quite extraordinary feat.

"The very thing that cements their success, that they have 50,000 supporters turning up every second week, will begin to evaporate.

"They need to have a competitive league, they need to make the distribution of monies much more equitable - and that can happen."

The problem with his comment about them being more generous is the implication that they care about playing every other team in the league. They're never happy to have got a good win over us, or Hibs, or anyone else; just that they've now got three more points than the other side.

John Boyle was a treasured client of mine for years. The day he put the club into administration, the interviews were given in the restaurant I worked in. I told him that I'm sorry, and that I didn't know what to say... and burst into tears! He turned to Fiona, then his wife, and said, the boy here is a huge Motherwell fan. A true gentleman in every sense.

Mr Boyle, I, for one, salute you!