Regarding The Pitch

Smalltown

conversation starter regarding the pitch: there's seemingly a season long complaint about the quality of the pitch, which is probably more complicated to maintain than most of us think. looking beyond simple tradition (not a point to trifle with, but this is a conversation starter), why not consider more seriously artificial turf? I know that my son's teams love to play on it when they get the chance (U16 to U18 level here the US). it gives a consistent bounce (faster and higher but consistent)and there's no question that it's either to maintain, especially in difficult weather situations. the technology of turf has advanced considerably, so that it's not a sheet of plastic on concrete anymore, so the physical damage of it is less than years ago.

thoughts?

thanks for the info. I understand the tradition of grass and, generally, do think it's better. but, given the choice between poor grass and losing games to to unplayable natural turf and then the more options available with artificial turf, I think it should at least be considered by the authorities. but the SPL has a lot bigger issues to settle than this

looking forward to the season

please excuse my ignorance of the regulations on that - is that an SFA rule, UEFA or? as noted, they do allow them in Russia and here in the US. thanks for the input

It's an SPL rule but I think there is also a UEFA rule as well, when Man Ure beat Chelsea in the Champions League final in Moscow, the Russians had to dig up their artificial turf and relay grass for the final.

There is no UEFA rule per say. Many clubs have used it in European Competition with the Luzhniki Stadium (CSKA Moscow) even been given a 5 star rating.

I don't understand why they don't allow them in the SPL, would probably, I guess save clubs a decent amount with maintenance, and the need to no longer have undersoil heating.

There is no UEFA rule per say. Many clubs have used it in European Competition with the Luzhniki Stadium (CSKA Moscow) even been given a 5 star rating.

I don't understand why they don't allow them in the SPL, would probably, I guess save clubs a decent amount with maintenance, and the need to no longer have undersoil heating.

The Luzhniki hada 5 Star rating but UEFA still made them replace the artificial turf for the Champions League final.

The Luzhniki hada 5 Star rating but UEFA still made them replace the artificial turf for the Champions League final.

So? To even hold the final you need a 5 Star Stadium. CSKA Moscow played all their European Games on the Synthetic surface and so have Russia, in fact they played England not so long ago.

Its not allowed in the SPL as it would have shown them up to be the shambolic organisation they are who forced clubs with perfectly good pitches to rip them up and install undersoil heating

Accies must be seething at the farce, the had a pitch that was being used daily by the community, never had matches cancelled and because some fuckwit committee in the SPL decided the needed undersoil heating they had to rip it up and install turf