Our Passing Game - What's The Problem?

David

I like the way we're trying to play and have no complaints about it so far but one thing i would say about 'passing' teams is that they can become very predictable and easy to defend against.It's fine passing it about in your own half but there should be a point to the passing, if there's a chance to go forward with a longer ball then take it.We played this way very well under McGhee but there's a few teams who it just hasn't worked for(Hamilton, Falkirk).

Andy P I wasn't having a pop at Craigen & Saunders.

I just feel more comfortable if they play the ball forward to the midfield and let them hold it up until an opening comes along.

If the central defenders do misplace a pass we are in a lot more trouble than if it happens further up the pitch.

Anyway lets be happy at where we are at the minute and bring on the Buddies.

Mon the Dossers

There is a time and place for passing. I felt we played a few too many balls across our box in the second half that were pretty dangerous. Passing is fine, nothing wrong with it, but if you keeping passing across the back four, inevitably the opposition will press you higher up the field and if you lose possession you can be in a lot of trouble, very quickly, with not much space or time to fix it.

However I don't have any problems passing the ball into the opposition half or in the opposition half and I think overall the original poster has a point. I remember there was one occasion when we were one nil up and just trying to see the game out and we were passing it around nicely around the half way line and Hearts half with most of the Hearts team behind the ball and the crowd started grumbling and inevitable someone played a daft ball forward and we lost possession and Hearts attacked.

Clever teams don't go all out attack all the time and fans need to be a bit more understanding sometimes.

Reminds me of a game at Fir Park a season or two ago where a great period of possession football was met with a serious cry of "stop just passing it about, Motherwell."

Motherwell, like every other club in the world, has some football fans who actually know fuck all about football.

• Like 2

Reminds me of a game at Fir Park a season or two ago where a great period of possession football was met with a serious cry of "stop just passing it about, Motherwell."

Motherwell, like every other club in the world, has some football fans who actually know fuck all about football.

More than just 'some' I'd wager. :whistling:

That strikes me as an odd thing to say.

That surely goes against the grain of everything we've produced since the start of the season when Craigan, and indeed the whole of the defence, have set the tone by spraying the ball about between themselves until an opening has presented itself.

It's surely impossible not to have them heavily involved if we want to play a patient, passing style of play.

Spot on.

The discussion here is one of the most annoying things about football is this country, where people think getting the ball up the park as fast as possible is the only way to play football. There are two others up there though...

"Close him doon" when it is 0-0 or we're winning and the opponent are passing about their own half - fucking idiotic, and the other is "needs to bulk up to make it" Only in fucking Scotland (Britain?) is not being bulky enough a problem :(

• Like 1

I think that was Malpas with that shout!

• Like 1