Rangers (H) Sunday 21st August

Andy_P

Not trying to win is not right. More like some of our players show Rangers far too much respect that they don't deserve.

Rangers had two young lads in defence today. Had a striker in midfield and still McGregor didn't have mire than one save all game.

Spineless today.

It's more the manner of the defeats that annoys me. For the last season and a bit we have been fucking hopeless against them and shipped about 20 goals.

We have learned fuck all.

I'm not particularly bothered about today - maybe I've just gotten used to not bothering when we lose to Rangers due to it being a regular occurance, I'm still perfectly happy with things as they are so far this season and there was nothing today that has me genuinely worried. However, the one thing that did annoy the fuck out of me was our complete lack of interest in taking advantage of the young Rangers right-back being on a booking. He'd already been spoken to by Craig Thomson for talking too much before he picked up his booking - that combined with his lack of experience and youthful enthusasim should have ensured us running at him every chance we got in the second half. Instead, we were continually trying to go down the right which was beyond belief.

Not trying to win is not right. More like some of our players show Rangers far too much respect that they don't deserve.

Rangers had two young lads in defence today. Had a striker in midfield and still McGregor didn't have mire than one save all game.

Spineless today.

It's more the manner of the defeats that annoys me. For the last season and a bit we have been fucking hopeless against them and shipped about 20 goals.

We have learned fuck all.

I agree we didn't play that well and can accept it but people trying to suggest that McCall and co weren't trying to win the match is ridiculous. If these people genuinely believe, really, that McCall is losing these games to Rangers on purpose then quite frankly they deserve a good slap for listening to too much of that Celtic paranoia pish.

He got his tactics wrong today but he also got them wrong in the cup final against Celtic, are we trying to lose to them too?

Or maybe McCall is not a mini Mourinho like so many on here, is a relatively young manager doing a decent job in only his second job in management who's bound to also make mistakes. What young manager hasn't? The way some on here go on you would think it was the easiest job in the world.

Give McCall a break, he's done a good job so far and we have still had a cracking start to the season. I personally am looking forward to the games against Clyde and Dunfermline and have started to enjoy the football alot more again under McCall and by in large like the way we go about playing with him in charge.

So can we drop this whole we lie down to Rangers pish, leave the conspiracy theories to Celtic fans and get behind McCall and the team and enjoy what by and large has been an excellent start to the season.

Gutless and effortless second 45 today. First half we were by far and away the better team, no doubt the second just on half time was a back breaker but how the likes of Humphrey get a game week after week baffles me. He was terrible at Killie, worse last week and today was akin to a man down. He needs dropped and given either the rest he needs to get over his mystery injury or time to sort out his act as he just now is a waste of a jersey. Sad thing is we have no one to challenge his place in the team.

Nothing much more to add other than it was the same old same old against them.

Well constructed post there Neil ! If Forbes was playing we would of won... of course totally agree :wank:

Poor performance my arse. Played them off the park in the first half.

Lost to a set piece and two break-away goals.

Steve Davis the difference between the teams.

No offence mate, but did you have your eyes shut when Rangers midfield was basically strolling through ours, or when they carved us open at will, or when they hit the bar or when they got a free header from their first corner which they should have scored with???

We didn't play them off the park at any point in that game, they were happy to sit off us and have the ball because they knew that we could do fuck all with it and they would get ample opportunties to pick us off with ease on the break. We did not create a clear cut chance all day today and had just a fairly decent early effort from Murphy saved aswell as a long range shot from Law in the first half to show for our 'possession'.

As for the 'goal' we had disallowed, I've seen the replay and yes it did hit his arm but it was harsh to penalise him for that, but that cannot be used as an excuse for yet another spineless and clueless display against Rangers and at the end of the day we can consider ourselves fortunate to have only lost by three because if Rangers had really went for it today they could have scored five or six.

Games against Rangers should just be written off as far as we're concerned as we don't even give them a game of it anymore.

Poor performance my arse. Played them off the park in the first half.

Lost to a set piece and two break-away goals.

Steve Davis the difference between the teams.

The only reason we had more of the ball is because after the first goal they already had the game won. They just had to sit back watch us tippy tappy about then when we give them the ball they counter attack. I honestly don't think Rangers broke sweat in that game and if they really wanted to they could easily have scored more.

Don't understand why Higdon & Humphrey get so much stick but Murphy always gets a pass. Apart from ICT Murphy hasn't kicked a ball all season but seems immune from criticism.

Maybe the biggest surprise of all is that some people on here are actually surprised that we lost. Said it before that no matter how well we are playing when it comes to Rangers we are like a deer caught in headlights & forget how to play football.

Delighted with our league position but don't foreget there are a few teams below us with a game in hand which can take them level with us or above us.

• Like 1

The only reason we had more of the ball is because after the first goal they already had the game won. They just had to sit back watch us tippy tappy about then when we give them the ball they counter attack. I honestly don't think Rangers broke sweat in that game and if they really wanted to they could easily have scored more.

Don't understand why Higdon & Humphrey get so much stick but Murphy always gets a pass. Apart from ICT Murphy hasn't kicked a ball all season but seems immune from criticism.

Maybe the biggest surprise of all is that some people on here are actually surprised that we lost. Said it before that no matter how well we are playing when it comes to Rangers we are like a deer caught in headlights & forget how to play football.

Delighted with our league position but don't foreget there are a few teams below us with a game in hand which can take them level with us or above us.

Here Here That man !

Honestly didn't think we were half as bad as some are making out. We were undone by the mental tactic of playing so high up the field that we left gaping holes in our back line all too often. This and the fact they have players who can strike a ball, and we don't really..

Some of our football was really good to watch though (in the first half at least), the wee routine for Murphy's disallowed goal was nice.

Overall good points, I'm glad we're actually trying to play football, atmosphere was good, n thought Humphrey had actually improved on previous performances too. Bad points, our tactics were shite, we got pumped..again.

And the term "tippy tappy pish" is pish in itself. It's just used to describe decent passing football if we don't win.

The reason we lost wasn't because we passed the ball too much it's cos we left ridiculous big holes in the back line while we tried to play some decent football.

• Like 1

And the term "tippy tappy pish" is pish in itself. It's just used to describe decent passing football if we don't win.

The reason we lost wasn't because we passed the ball too much it's cos we left ridiculous big holes in the back line while we tried to play some decent football.

very very good point mate.

I feel kind of annoyed, frustrated and disappointed after watching that. We did pretty well in the first half and played some lovely stuff without ever getting in behind them. It was almost like a replica of the game we had with St MIrren last week but this time we were the team that could not get the cutting edge our play needed.

Today I would have played with a middle three of Jennings, Lasley and Forbes. Its a bit negative but it worked a treat against Celtic back in February and I cannot understand why we have not tried it against the Old FIrm since. We then had to forego one of Humphrey, Law or Murphy and I think with the added rigidity in the midfield we would have created more.

All that said Rangers love picking teams off on the break and its much easier to do that whilst in the lead. So to avoid that its important not to give away daft goals. And I'm afraid the first goal was daft. Jelavic is their best player by a country mile so leaving him unmarked was criminal. We did it again later in the half too. At 0-1 though we were superb and really tried to turn the screw. At the time I thought Thomson was right to disallow our goal but having seen it again I now think we were really unlucky. Though I can see why he didn't allow it. But that was a break we could have had and that might have been the moment to give us belief because it was a move that was full of confidence and ability.

Second goal killed the game stone dead. Jennings should have done better on the ball but to be fair to Rangers it was a cracking goal.

Second half I was really disappointed with us but that was partly because Rangers were so deep. We probed but struggled to find space and it was almost like a game against St Mirren or Kilmarnock at times where we are in control but cannot find a way in. Our players just lacked that incisive final ball or the killer bit of movement to get the chance. But Rangers were able to pick us off so easily and we could have ended up losing a game we had most of the territory 7-0 quite easily.

But as I said at the start we need to be more combative in the midfield when we play the Old Firm and we cannot give away daft goals and that was what beat us today.

Just watched the online highlights and they appeared to have ignored the first half hand ball. Any opinions from people that have seen a replay of the incident as at the time I was sure it was a penalty.

It wasn't. ESPN showed about three different angles, and it never touched his arm.

Went into this game with high hopes. And to be fair for the first bit of the game I felt we played them off the park. However reality set in when you remember their players man for man are generally better than ours. When they broke (despite all our neat intricate play in the middle third of the park) they looked dangerous and on occasion it was like a hot knife through butter as we were very exposed and tactically naive.

Upon reflection I looked again at the summary of the St. Mirren game and found a lot of it echoed today. St. Mirren played nice passing football, enjoyed the lion's share of possession, however we had all the meaningful chances, drive and ultimately won.

The last 30 minutes were played at pre-season friendly pace and that annoyed me more than anything else. More so because a good number of this team were involved in the 3-3 Hearts game last season and the 6-6 too where that attitude would have left us with nothing.

I do feel we've rode our luck at times so far this season and it was only a matter of time until a better team exposed that. Too many slack balls in the midfield transferring possession and a plan to break Rangers down with neat triangles and probe a blue wall stationed 18 yards out rather than a counter attack or God forbid a shot from distance that troubled McGregor.

I wouldn't agree that everyone hasn't been critical of Murphy, I can't count how many games he's started spritely then went AWOL for anything from 30 minutes to an hour in the middle of the match. Today was another example. Higdon had a thankless task, but I do think Sutton was more intelligent in the way he challenged and played against centre halves. Higdon will come good however his judgement and timing were again out of sync.

I thought both our centre backs played well and am encouraged week on week that Hateley is returning to some of the form he's exhibited in the past. I also thought Law would be used more on the wing, but he seems to be employed more in a central role. Naismith and Davis were excellent and provided good covering back and that bit extra up front.

A positive for me was Humphrey improved on what I've seen so far, one of few memorable moments was his drag back and angling into the box in the first half. Still too many questions about his game for me which I think would have been helped if he came on as an impact player from the bench in this particular encounter. I really don't know Forbes has to do to retain his place in this team and therefore feel for him (granted I don't see him daily in training), however a sub or two even from our light bench was certainly merited.

Finally, 4 cops to remove a 13 year old when bile still bubbles under the surface in the South seems to me to be counter to the setting up of this task force.

Passing football is fantastic & should be encouraged as a necessity however when you have a chance to play an incisive through ball or have a strike at goal but instead pass it backwards or sideways then that's when it becomes tippy tappy pish.

Loved the passing & movement for the Murphy disallowed goal but can't help thinking the guy who passed it to Murphy had a clear shot at goal and this may have been the better option. One pass too many? Dunno but it would appear we are working on corners on the training ground now if only we could do a bit of work on defending corners & explain giving their best player countless free headers is not the best idea.

Passing football is fantastic & should be encouraged as a necessity however when you have a chance to play an incisive through ball or have a strike at goal but instead pass it backwards or sideways then that's when it becomes tippy tappy pish.

Loved the passing & movement for the Murphy disallowed goal but can't help thinking the guy who passed it to Murphy had a clear shot at goal and this may have been the better option. One pass too many? Dunno but it would appear we are working on corners on the training ground now if only we could do a bit of work on defending corners & explain giving their best player countless free headers is not the best idea.

That's a fair comment Ian