Stamping Out Sectarianism

fatcalf

the only reason h*n is considered sectarian is because when nil by mouth started all their pish they had to give rangers something to be seen to be fair so they designated h*n as sectarian as a counterbalance. the basis for it is due to it being a banned insult in northern ireland but again that is likely to be due to tit for tat between the political parties when making the list rather than any realistic basis.

as finlay pointed out it is a nonsense to consider it sectarian as everyone knows it means rangers fans rather than presbyterians. this the end result of all the greeting about songs and terms, sheer stupidity and censorship. my family background is church of scotland so surely if it is sectarian it's ok for me to say it a la 'paddy mccourt's feni&n army' and spike jones saying n****r constantly?

it'll be interesting to see what the outcome of the sectarianism bill is when it comes back up in november. there's no way they'll be able to ban the sash and they'll probably shite out of banning boys of the old brigade so we'' no doubt be hearing plenty of government endorsed versions of them in future.

I've gied up going to any games against the OF (after the cup final).

Not an option for everyone I'm sure but I canny stick the c***s & the pish that goes on around them.

They bring out the worst in me (& others it would seem) so I trying to pretend they don' t fuckin exist. c***s.

Completely agree...

I've gied up going to any games against the OF (after the cup final).

Not an option for everyone I'm sure but I canny stick the c***s & the pish that goes on around them.

They bring out the worst in me (& others it would seem) so I trying to pretend they don' t fuckin exist. c***s.

I actually thought Sunday was the quietest I've ever heard the Rangers support at Fir Park. Didn't hear a peep out of them until they went 3-0 up with five minutes to go when they woke up and gave a rendition of 'God Save the Queen'.

I actually thought Sunday was the quietest I've ever heard the Rangers support at Fir Park. Didn't hear a peep out of them until they went 3-0 up with five minutes to go when they woke up and gave a rendition of 'God Save the Queen'.

Going some way off topic here but when they do sing that I'm sometimes taken back to my school days where I'd go with my Airdrie supporting mate to see them when MFC weren't playing. Complete bams the Airdrie lot may well have been but they had some amusing ditties in their songbook at the time among them 'God Save McQueen' in tribute to everyone's future favourite stuttering wooden SSN panelist.

Complete bams the Airdrie lot may well have been but they had some amusing ditties in their songbook at the time among them 'God Save McQueen' in tribute to everyone's future favourite stuttering wooden SSN panelist.

I remember "He's black, He's gay, He plays for Air-der-ay- Fashanu Fashanu."

Probably get banned for that now!

Context

The wee guy that got chibbed oot looked to me like he was greetin.

I suspect he was a young wean that has been brought up thinking calling them H uns is acceptable.

I can understand why the coppers and stewards want to stamp it out (and need to stamp out old firm bigotry). That means they need to enforce it with everybody.

Two problems I've got. The No Surrender flags; get them taken doon as well then if we're playing fair. The wee lad; he was clearly taken doon a peg or three. If I was the powers that be, I would have pulled him oot, gave him a talking to and maybe punted him down the other end of the stand fur a bit.

No place for the bigotry on both sides; but Equal treatment fur both if they are clamping down or it makes a mockery

This amateur etymology argument is bullshit. By applying that argument you can say lots of offensive terms aren't offensive by ignoring the context they are used in or focusing on one of many derivations of meaning. One would be that its perfectly fine to describe Chris Humphrey as a 'negro' when everyone knows it isn't.

Likewise, everyone knows the context the 'H' word is used in 21st century, west central Scotland. The 'H' word should not be used by anyone in that context, end of story and trying to justify its use is pathetic and hypocritical.

Far too many fans of provincial club fans are guilty of double standards on these issues. They complain about the OF and then behave in exactly the same way, expressing exactly the same thoughts and ideas in exactly the same language.

It's pretty simple - if you aren't sectarian don't use sectarian language and take care of your own house before you criticize others. The whole idea that its OK to do something because other people do it or get away with it belongs in the schoolyard. Personally, I think this incident and a lot of the opinions in this thread make us look just as backwards and troglodyte as a lot of other football supporters in this country.

And I've got nothing against creating an atmosphere, the addition of the drum and chanting has been a step forward in that regard and just proves if it needed proving that creating atmosphere is a separate issue from sectarianism.

I'm not entirely innocent myself. In the past I used these sorts of terms but a number of years ago I woke up to my own hypocrisy and stopped doing it. Might I suggest more people follow my lead.

I've used this post to highlight the double standards used by our set of supporters (St Mirren) on a consistant basis who don't seem to see the old "pot, kettle, black" saying. :whistling:

Having been brought up in the murky atmosphere of the west coast illness of bigots surrounding me, before moving away some 20 years ago, I was always aware of the poison that is there on a weekly/monthly basis. I just can't see the point in any provincial clubs allowing their support to be seen to be dragging the clubs into the gutter with the Old Firm. (Again, the OF supporters have a moronic element who drag them down) I have seen nothing to suggest to suggest that the OF get the bad press because they, simply, have more supporters, than other teams.

I feart this section of so called "supporters" will always use provincial clubs to spread their sad lives and sad views while dragging these clubs into the gutter, confirming the view we are a country that is blighted with the illness of bigotry with no real sign of a cure. dry.gif

• Like 1

Are the Old Firm not provincial clubs?

We need something to differentiate them from the rest of us. We used to use the term 'diddy teams' for the rest of us but a few years of being spanked in Europe has ensured that the old firm are now included in the 'diddy team' group as well. :nod: