Scotland U21

CrosshillWell

Did anyone else notice the lack of our players in the U21 squad for next week?

I know Murphy and Forbes are now twenty-two, but I thought we'd have a few players in our squad.

Yeah, like who? Saunders is out or he'd most likely have been in. No one else anywhere near deserving of a place.

• Like 1

Harsh crowd in here is it not :rolleyes:

but I thought we'd have a few players in our squad.

Did you mean, you thought we'd have a few players in our squad that would be in with a shout of a Scotland U21 squad place and are surprised not to see any in there

and as such opening the debate for others with more knowledge for input into why we have none at this time or perhaps lending an opinion on who might be on the horizon?

Because

thats what I was thinking when I seen your post and I'm also a little surprised to see no 'Well players in the pool although I have limited knowledge of the U21 pool of players who are in contention

Is it not just the case though that there is a slight bit of a gap between the likes of Saunders and the next crop coming through.

That whilst our squad is young in general some of them have just crept above the U21 threshold or have yet to establish themselves enough in the first team to warrant inclusion?

If you want to take some consolation both Josh Watt and Stuart Carswell were picked for the U19's squad.

Having a quick look at the Under 21 squad. A good few i've either never seen playing or even knew of their existence.

Goalkeepers

Grant Adam (Rangers)

Jordan Archer (Tottenham Hotspur)

Mark Ridgers (Heart of Midlothian)

Defenders

Callum Booth (Hibernian)

Darren Cole (Rangers)

Paul Hanlon (Hibernian)

Ryan Jack (Aberdeen)

Ross Perry (Rangers)

Lewis Toshney (Celtic)

Midfielders

Scott Allan (Dundee United)

Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United)

Tom Cairney (Hull City)

Liam Kelly (Kilmarnock)

Liam Palmer (Sheffield Wednesday)

Peter Pawlett (Aberdeen)

David Wotherspoon (Hibernian)

Gregg Wylde (Rangers)

Forwards

Leigh Griffiths (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

Alexander MacDonald (Burnley)

Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield Town)

Johnathon Russell (Dundee United)

Having a quick look at the Under 21 squad. A good few i've either never seen playing or even knew of their existence.

[/i]

[/u][/b]

Darren Cole (Rangers)

Lewis Toshney (Celtic)

Midfielders

Scott Allan (Dundee United)

Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United)

Tom Cairney (Hull City)

Liam Palmer (Sheffield Wednesday)

Forwards

Alexander MacDonald (Burnley)

Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield Town)

cole - played right back for rangers last year away to bursapor and did ok.

toshney - never seen him

allan - dundee united fans were raving about him at the start of the season. suppossed silky midfielder.

armstrong - scored against us in january and in the last u21 game

palmer - right sided midfielder, looks no bad.

tom cairney - probably the best player in the squad. class act.

alex mcdonald - was on loan at falkirk and ict. pish

rhodes - big centreforward. he's banged in about 50 goals in league one already.

quite a strong squad considering saunders, ness and fyvie are injure and wilson, hanley and forrest are in the big squad. think i'd rather see them play u21 though.

3 out of the 4 strikers will have very decent careers. Russell's looked decent, I've seen Rhodes a few times and he's impressed and Griffiths we all expect to do well.

McDonald on the other hand, meh. Poor when I've saw him.

Heard great reviews on that Liam Palmer, very highly rated by Wednesday fans.

I really like Russell, for me, he's a better player than Goodwillie was at that age. Goodwillie's selfish streak can be a positive in many ways, but Russell seems far more aware that he's part of a team, and everything he does doesn't have to be Hollywood.

Other than Saunders we have no one suitable. Of our regular starting eleven, only three are Scottish- Murphy, Hammell and Lasley. The only player with first team experience on the bench who is under 21 is Bob McHugh, and I think MacDonald, Griffiths and Russell are easily a better option than him.