Motherwell Vs Hibernian Discussion Thread

David

Sorry don't agree with you. The squad McGhee had was bigger than the current squad. Last season the squad was thin but this year its even thinner and many warned that we'd gone just too far. I appreciate that its a quality V quantity decision for us but this season we have gone just too far. It should be a calcucated gamble but this year it looks like an uncalculated gamble. Only one recognised first team striker on our books? I ask you. Craigan should have been replaced last year and his wages spent on bringing a new centre back in.

Yes, we made errors on the pitch but also many errors of it. Playing one isolated striker up front meant that we did not thave the firepower to finish good moves off. Thats a managerial decision. Failing to make changes midway through the second half - again an off field decision. Playing Jamie Murphy out of position to the extent that he's being wasted - again an off field decision. Who recruited Tim Clancy as an auxilliary centre back? I could go on.

The thing is I don't think he was isolated on Tuesday night. Murphy and Law were never far behind him. He was isolated on Saturday but I think that was due to us being garbage rather than by design. Playing one up top is fine as long as there is support close to him. On Tuesday I didn't really think the game was crying out for a change. The only one I may have made was McHugh for Murphy and with the best will in the world - would that have stopped the kamikaze 2nd goal?

To be fair on Clancy I think he was hired to have someone else who could play right back after Saunders got crocked. After that his hand was forced by what happened to Hutchinson. Clancy has not done enough for me to convince me he is a centre back.

On your first point on Quantity v Quality there is always a call to be made. When McGhee made his call Setanta were still here so there was more money in the game and every single SPL club has had to tighten their belts since then. So basically every club has had to make that decision with two or three players less so an exact comparison like you made is unfair. You can only compare the general idea and I think McCall is right.

I hope I don't regret saying this but there is no way we are anywhere near the worst club in this league so unless we are unlucky beyond belief with injuries we will stay up. So I would always rather take a punt so we can push on for 3rd/4th/5th if we all stay fit than accept 7th irrespective. But we understand on the flip side we could come 10th.

Has McCall picked the right players? Possibly not but that will only become clear over a longer period of time. However I think his philosophy is correct. However if we have a spare bob or two trying to find a dedicated centre half to play centre half for a couple of months may not be a bad shout. And whilst the last two games have been disappointing we have lost goals to individual errors (normally from Craigan).

Am I the only one who thought craggs was fucking dire last night?

Griffiths should never ever have been given that much space to cross for the first goal. And when the ball approached craigan even he knew what was going to happen...one up in a cup tie, 87th minute - he should have done what he does best and stuck his boot through it but no, he tried to control it with his bollocks and made an arse of it.

Dont get me wrong I like craigan, he has been a great player and ambassador for the club but the fact we are quite heavily relying on him gives me the fear.

I think Craigan is pish most games unsure.gif

I actually feel very uncomfortable when he's on the ball...