Over Zealous Stewards

mjw

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen this happening, it came from the front row of the east stand where a group of young boys about 10 years old were standing, they waited 'till McCarthy turned his back and spat on him. A steward must have seen it happening but maybe he just never seen who did it.

Im afraid I saw the incident from the next section and it was not the group of young boys as you put it. Its a adult who had been abusing McCarthy the whole game, from a few rows back. When the incident happened with Quinn he seemed to jump down and ended up a nearer the front and it was him who spat on McCarthy.

People may dislike McCarthy for many reasons but spitting on someone is just fucking vile!

To be fair, 'bouncing' in a hastily-arranged, unsuitable seating area like the East Stand probaby is dangerous. The amount of cuts and bruises I've had from jumping about in there over the years couldn't be counted and I'm quite happy in the knowledge that if I want to behave in such a way, that's the risk I take. However, the 'Well boys (and fans in general) have a lot of minors in their number and if they do themselves an injury, their parents could attempt legal action against our club. A load of pish, I know, but that's the world we live in now. I'm sure fatcalf will confirm with the WTFC, amateur football is sufferring with the same sort of nonsense, as teams have to have insurance nowadays, even though any player would tell you that the risk of injury is something you should factor in to your decision of pulling on a pair of boots.

A bit of a tangent there, but my point is that MFC, and their stewards, are bound by the ridiculous rules that have been forced on them by the PC madness that is gripping the world, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. However, I do agree that there is a jobsworth element to the police and stewards present in the stadium - that's the only issue that can be eradicated.

Frazzle

But someone somewhere has to stand up and do something about it rather than meekly abide by the daft rules. Do we have to introduce dafter rules like having to sign a disclaimer absolving the club from blame if bouncing results in an injury? Yes even amateurs are being hit by nonsense, difficult to see how we get round that but if we don't try we never will. Meekly accepting it is not an issue if we want to protect (or even get back) the atmospheric part of our game. Managers want fans behind their team, officaldom prevents that from happening. There has to be a compromise somewhere and as an example bouncing is no more dangerous than jumping up to celebrate a goal.

It's something fans do yet we're told not to, but we don't have to accept it. Someone in authority can listen to the opinions of those being inconvenienced by it and say enough is enough. H&S guidelines are just that, not rules or laws, guidelines. Interpretation is the key, that's where the decision makers can choose how exactly they implement them and we are being let down continually by people with no understanding of how a football crowd operates.

We had commented at the game that depite the entire last section standing for most of the game, the police and stewards seemed determined to get 4 or 5 14 year olds to sit down.

I thought somebody spat on McCarthy from the front row of the 2nd last section, wouldn't have been able to identify them mind you.

Maybe someone will get huckled next week for spitting on the ground, or down the toilet. ;)

They do like a scapegoat! :huh:

I think you're right fatcalf, but I don't think that if even if every single Motherwell fan decided to stand at the next home game and refused to sit down no matter what that it would solve the problem. It either needs all the wee teams like ourselves to make a stand (no pun intended) or for bigger clubs to get involved. If we take it on as one group of supporters, we'd be massacred - loads of fans banned from the stadium, MFC hit with fines/point deductions, etc and that would help nobody. If I thought that enough 'Well fans felt the same about it, I would contact other Supporters Trusts to get a campaign started, but the 'protests' that went on during the Malpas season seems to suggest that not enough 'Well fans care enough about it for us to be able to make a difference.

Frazzle

To be fair, 'bouncing' in a hastily-arranged, unsuitable seating area like the East Stand probaby is dangerous. The amount of cuts and bruises I've had from jumping about in there over the years couldn't be counted and I'm quite happy in the knowledge that if I want to behave in such a way, that's the risk I take. However, the 'Well boys (and fans in general) have a lot of minors in their number and if they do themselves an injury, their parents could attempt legal action against our club. A load of pish, I know, but that's the world we live in now. I'm sure fatcalf will confirm with the WTFC, amateur football is sufferring with the same sort of nonsense, as teams have to have insurance nowadays, even though any player would tell you that the risk of injury is something you should factor in to your decision of pulling on a pair of boots.

A bit of a tangent there, but my point is that MFC, and their stewards, are bound by the ridiculous rules that have been forced on them by the PC madness that is gripping the world, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. However, I do agree that there is a jobsworth element to the police and stewards present in the stadium - that's the only issue that can be eradicated.

Frazzle

Call me a pedant but I don't see where, "political correctness gone mad" is what you getting at. The fact we live in a society where people/organisations like a football club have to walk on eggshells for fear of litigation has he-haw to do with some idea of what is or isn't PC whatever definition of that one chooses to use.

On the main point I agree it is a heap of shite!

I think it all goes hand in hand, Malky. It's the modern culture to sue everyone or look for compensation and that encompasses ridiculous claims of everyone being something-ist when a person of a minority group doesn't get what they want. To me, that mindset has grown legs and that's what's led to crazy rules everywhere. The fun is being slowly squeezed out of the world with masses of disclaimers and everyone carefully choosing their words before the speak, shout or type for fear of reprisal. Nobody likes it, or agrees with it, but it doesn't matter because the minority of jobsworth pen-pushers have all the power.

Frazzle

PS - Are we still talking about fitba'?

Most of the time things the PC label is just a stick to hit people with when they suggest people should maybe not be able to abuse others often minorities.

I don't see where fears over ligitgation regarding health and safety issues really connect with that. That not to say there is no cases of political correctness that haven't been a bit mad but i find it mostly exaggerated daily mail headlines that any sane person with a bit of capability to think would generally see through.

The issue that what you getting at goes more hand in hand is increasing restrictions on all our civil liberties, what we can and can't do in public within reasonable boundaries that groups of adults should be able to define for themselves such as standing up and bouncing around a bit at the football at the smaller end of the scale that is issue at hand here. Even what we can shout at white people of scottish descent getting called racist, that maybe ties in a bit more with being overly PC.

Aye, I know what you're saying, but my opinion is that it's the two issues (PC madness and removal of civil liberties/big brother state, etc) is a result of the same school of thought. I think we agree with each other on the state of the world - just a debate on definition I suppose.

Frazzle