Aberdeen V Motherwell

SteelmaninOZ

Sure i remember the Jim Hamilton one, was it not a looping half volley from about 35 yards out?

Aye and in another game Quinn drilled one in from the edge of the 18 yard box - was in hospitality in the RDS stand at the time when I was working for Aberdeen Journals - nearly got booted out :yahoo:

Can't tell if you don't want Hateley to play because you think he's signing for Sevco as you alluded to above or because you genuinely believe he's not good enough.

Either way it's a load of shite and Hateley will be playing on Saturday.

It was meant as a "since he's supposed to be signing for Rangers, can we please use it as an excuse to drop him" - because he's been utter gash all season.

Just clearing that up :thumbup:

• Like 1

It was meant as a "since he's supposed to be signing for Rangers, can we please use it as an excuse to drop him" - because he's been utter gash all season.

Just clearing that up :thumbup:

As I suspected...

Hateley has become a real scapegoat this season which is a shame when you consider the service he's given the club over the last 3 and a bit years and the remarkable consistency he's shown for the majority of that time.

He's not been as good this season as he was last, yet neither have Hammell or Hutchinson for example in my opinion yet they seem to get away without any abuse whilst Hateley seems to bare the brunt of it. It's a shame, especially as the defence as a whole doesn't get as much protection this season as it has done in previous seasons when we had Jennings.

Essentially I don't understand why Hateley gets all the abuse when the defence as a whole has been poor this season, and even then they haven't had much protection so I'm not sure how much blame you can proportion to the defence. Then again I've never understood the need to find a player to abuse week in week out regardless of how he plays so what do I know.

• Like 2

As I suspected...

Hateley has become a real scapegoat this season which is a shame when you consider the service he's given the club over the last 3 and a bit years and the remarkable consistency he's shown for the majority of that time.

He's not been as good this season as he was last, yet neither have Hammell or Hutchinson for example in my opinion yet they seem to get away without any abuse whilst Hateley seems to bare the brunt of it. It's a shame, especially as the defence as a whole doesn't get as much protection this season as it has done in previous seasons when we had Jennings.

Essentially I don't understand why Hateley gets all the abuse when the defence as a whole has been poor this season, and even then they haven't had much protection so I'm not sure how much blame you can proportion to the defence. Then again I've never understood the need to find a player to abuse week in week out regardless of how he plays so what do I know.

Saying someone has been poor all season is hardly abusing him is it?

Hammell and Hutchinson have been criticised for games they have been poor in but they have also had good games this season.

Good performances from Tom Hately this season have been few and far between.

Saying someone has been poor all season is hardly abusing him is it?

Hammell and Hutchinson have been criticised for games they have been poor in but they have also had good games this season.

Good performances from Tom Hately this season have been few and far between.

I'm obviously referring to the abuse he receives everytime he pulls on a Motherwell strip, not the pathetic moaning that goes on here.

He's not been as good this season as he was last, yet neither have Hammell or Hutchinson for example in my opinion yet they seem to get away without any abuse whilst Hateley seems to bare the brunt of it.

One reason, I suspect, is that Hateley is also a key figure in many of our attacking set pieces, but he's been useless at those for a while too.

I'm obviously referring to the abuse he receives everytime he pulls on a Motherwell strip, not the pathetic moaning that goes on here.

Hateley gets away with blue murder compared to other players in the team.

I love how cos I said he'd been gash all season all of a sudden I'm the one who hurls abuse at players for 90 mins on a match day. :laugh:

The fact remains, that, like it or not, Hateley has been pretty awful all season. He is seemingly unable to pass, tackle, cross, beat the first man from a corner or do just about anything else a full back should be required to do from time to time.

Like any other player, they get praise when play well and criticised when they have poor games. The difference between anyone else and Hateley is at least they've played well in the odd game or two this season - Hateley hasn't had a good game since the start of 2012. We can't afford to be carrying this type of player.

We did perfectly well against Celtic without him... where's the need to slot him straight back in? No thanks.

Again - just in case you can't read my posts properly - I'm not abusing or pathetically moaning as you like to put it. I'm stating fact.

Edited: I'm stating what I see as fact

No you're not, you are blatantly exaggerating on almost every point

And explicitly choosing some truths to try and back up those exaggerations

Just saying like

Exactly what I was thinking. Claiming Hateley gets away with murder then ironically kind of proving my point by going over the top with his criticism of him and greatly exaggerating how 'poor' Hateley has been.

I also never accused 'Gaag' of being one of the people to hurl abuse at Hateley.

One reason, I suspect, is that Hateley is also a key figure in many of our attacking set pieces, but he's been useless at those for a while too.

We've scored six goals from Hateley's corners this season, what would you consider an acceptable amount?

We've scored six goals from Hateley's corners this season, what would you consider an acceptable amount?

To be clear, I'm not Hateley bashing here at all. I'm only focusing on his set-piece deliveries.

Six goals from his corners is incredible considering he's only managed to land about eight corner kicks into the opposition's penalty box in this entire season. Yes, that's an exaggeration too. Rather than proving that he's a fine set-piece taker, I would argue that the statistic you mentioned proves how dangerous we could be from corners. We must have a bloody good ratio of goals to accurate corner kicks. Imagine if Hateley was able to regularly lift the ball over the first defender and not over the heads of everyone else in the penalty box too?

I have no problem with Hateley the right back whatsoever. I'd offer him a contract right now. However, it would have one condition written in huge letters with a permanent marker: must not take corner kicks.