The Last 20 Minutes

Welldaft Mk1

For the last 3 games has been despairing at times. In all 3 games we should have been more than 1 goal ahead.

Of course the losing team will press hard for the equaliser, but it almost feels as if we have been letting them do this a lot easier than I would like. Yesterday a case in point. Cummins and Lawson on to replace 2 more attack minded players.

May be I and we as a support have to come to terms that this season when we are ahead we will be defending more than attacking. The problem is that is fine playing Killie, St Mirren and Thistle. But do it against the better teams in the league and they will take their chances.

That plus another game where I hope Faddy can start to influence a game with some magic. He is trying - you can see that, but that is now 6 games where I have come away less than impressed with his contribution. I see Goodwillie was on the bench for DDee United today. Is it time for Faddy to be benched? I am not sure myself - but it merits asking the Q.

Delighted to be 4 wins from 6 and on 12 points, but all 4 wins could easily have been draws. Whilst we are marginally better game by game I still came away yesterday thinking we are still to click as a team this season. That is maybe the sign of a really good team :nod:

Actually thought we handled the last 20 minutes a lot better yesterday, it wasn't until the last five we were really under the cosh. Though I would grant you part of the reason for that was our opponent were tepid. I thought we may have brought on Ainsworth to give us a runner to stretch them a bit more. We need to do better with our chances though, if we have a 2 goal lead a lot of the nervousness could go.

For the last 3 games has been despairing at times. In all 3 games we should have been more than 1 goal ahead.

Of course the losing team will press hard for the equaliser, but it almost feels as if we have been letting them do this a lot easier than I would like. Yesterday a case in point. Cummins and Lawson on to replace 2 more attack minded players.

May be I and we as a support have to come to terms that this season when we are ahead we will be defending more than attacking. The problem is that is fine playing Killie, St Mirren and Thistle. But do it against the better teams in the league and they will take their chances.

I'd certainly agree we should have had each of the three games in the bag long before we've the anxieties of the last fifteen, twenty minutes in those games. How you deal with those situations it's a bit devil or deep blue sea. There were a couple of games last season where McCall was criticised for failing to act towards the end of matches to see games through - the two Aberdeen games immediately spring to mind.

There has to be a balance struck between retaining an attacking option and trying to capitalise on the break and strengthening the rearguard to get the job done, but I'd say in the last three games I couldn't criticise McCall too much but that's subjective. I'd concede you could just us as easily argue we might have been better served in each of them trying to keep the ball in the opposition half than packing in around our box.

But not so sure we can say with certainty better teams would punish us. I say that as in each of those three games in keeping with much of the season it has been a positive that we've been limiting opposition teams in the number of efforts they are getting in on goal. They've had the bulk of the possession, no question but as for cast iron opportunities created, we've limited our opponents.

Look through the goals we've conceded in the league so far this season so far, two penalties and own goal, two from set-pieces. Only one goal we've conceded has been from open play.

If we can continue along those lines, which you might hope would be the case the more that defensive line and keeper play together, then we'll have an excellent base to start from each game. It's then as you say just getting things to click that bit more offensively.

We ARE winning but there is a tendency with us after we take a lead to 'shut up shop' in games. It doesn't make for pretty viewing but does build confidence in what is still a virtually new team. Hopefully Faddy can find some form too cos he's been quite poor so far. I was hoping with 10 good days training before yesterday's game he'd be in good fettle but alas he still seems to be running through treacle. <_ . maybe a wee spell on the bench awaits and give ainsworth chance. thought mchugh did well when he came too.>

Not sure benching Faddy would help. Think he needs to try and play himself out of this slump in form. Thats fine as long as we are winning. Becomes much harder to justify if we are not.

I thought he was better yesterday in a more central role with some of the little one two's between him Anier Vigurs and Lasley lovely to watch. However his work in the last third was frustrating to watch. But you can see from his reaction he is well aware of it.

As for the original point, I agree. Was disappointing to see us try to shut up shop only for it to invite them onto us more as I thought there was another goal in it for us and I thought Ainsworth would have been a better shout than Lawson. However, I understand why the decision was made and I guess the manager is vindicated with the 3 points.

On the plus side we are third in the league with 4 wins out of 6 playing poorly with a team that barely knows one another. Just think how good we could be when it all settles down and Faddy finds some form!

In McCall we trust.....

• Like 2

I think we are more suited to sitting in and soaking up pressure in the last 20mins or so than chasing the game at the same stage. I personally think we have been spoiled by the football we have seen the team playing over the past few years and this season may not be as good to watch as last season for instance but thats not to say it cant be every bit as effective.

Actually thought we handled the last 20 minutes a lot better yesterday, it wasn't until the last five we were really under the cosh. Though I would grant you part of the reason for that was our opponent were tepid. I thought we may have brought on Ainsworth to give us a runner to stretch them a bit more. We need to do better with our chances though, if we have a 2 goal lead a lot of the nervousness could go.

Maybe but if a team scores with anything more than 5 minutes to go then it's always going to be difficult so I don't think 2-0 is a guaranteed game winning lead, in fact I think teams often are over confident at 2-0 up, switch off and actually are more likely to lose a lead than at 1-0.

I'd like to see the stats for teams losing a 1-0 lead in the last 15 minutes compared to losing a 2-1 lead.

This season we are pretty much doing what we did in McCall's first season and parking the bus with 15 minutes to go and attempting to hold any lead we have. I don't really agree with that footballing philosophy if only because, as a fan it puts me through an emotional wringer but you have to say it's been relatively successful up till now.

I don't think shutting up shop is the game plan. It's more a consequence of not taking our chances when we are on top. However, the players have handled it not too badly, so can't complain too much.

Be easier on the old ticker when we get 3 goal leads though.