Last Minute Winners

steelman1991

Easter road early eighties kept missing penalties that season.remember edvaldsson at parkhead.Not won a game till March in that season (enjoy the current experiences guys).we won 1-0 and bobby Watson did lap of honour as if we'd won the cup .got relegated and wee tommy came in!

Was that Stuart Rafferty that scored in that game? I think I was there.

Great double post - especially the Ray Farningham one. Tucked away in the top left hand corner of the Main Stand, That was the quickest evacuation drill Ibrox had ever seen. :yahoo:

That ones a great shout.

This has got me thinking now. How late was Kirky's free kick at Aberdeen?

Ray Farningham's late header in early Souness era at Ibrox with what I think was our only attempt on goal. That really was a robbery!

No late enough lol - seemed an age between the goal and full-time.

1400011829[/url]' post='412122']

Easter road early eighties kept missing penalties that season.remember edvaldsson at parkhead.Not won a game till March in that season (enjoy the current experiences guys).we won 1-0 and bobby Watson did lap of honour as if we'd won the cup .got relegated and wee tommy came in!

Jesus, you've a good memory!!! Either that or I've got Alzheimer's ......evilgrin.gif

But the winner of the three is Jukes. That was a special game.

Not only a last minute goal but also virtually the last kick of the season!

The Philliben equalizer is a good call.

The Fitzpatrick one is probably the best though. How there were no fatalities on the very steep Easter Road stands I don't know! Absolute bedlam.

That's later than the Van Der Gaag goal posted earlier so that'll do for me!

The last minute equaliser for Lukas against Hibs wasn't near enough the last kick of the season as we played at Ibrox and scored 2 very late goals there as well (sorry for being pedantic).

That's later than the Van Der Gaag goal posted earlier so that'll do for me!

The last minute equaliser for Lukas against Hibs wasn't near enough the last kick of the season as we played at Ibrox and scored 2 very late goals there as well (sorry for being pedantic).

Yeah forgot it was only the last home game but didn't Jamie Murphy score a last minute penalty in the Rangers game?

My ex's father was speaking to my eldest daughter Amber' and he said your dad's team is not very good when she was 6 and had just been a mascot. Seemed a bit of an odd thing to say.She told me and I said your grandad supports Tottenham. So we will hatch a plan.next time he says anything about motherwell that is negative say grandad has Tottenham ever played motherwell?He will say no, just as a celtic fan would not know their record defeat is 8-0 to the mighties, then just say, I think grandad you'll find they did in the seventies and Tottenham were WELL beaten.She delivered the line beautifully.

• Like 1

My ex's father was speaking to my eldest daughter Amber' and he said your dad's team is not very good when she was 6 and had just been a mascot. Seemed a bit of an odd thing to say.She told me and I said your grandad supports Tottenham. So we will hatch a plan.next time he says anything about motherwell that is negative say grandad has Tottenham ever played motherwell?He will say no, just as a celtic fan would not know their record defeat is 8-0 to the mighties, then just say, I think grandad you'll find they did in the seventies and Tottenham were WELL beaten.She delivered the line beautifully.

Remember it well Chivers et al, we totally overwhelmed them. If I remember right there was a cancelled OF? game that night and they all piled in too.

Seem to remember a mid-week game in the season post-admin and we were 2-1 down to Dunfermline and absolutely pumping them, laying seige to their goal etc. and we just couldn't get a goal.

Craigan smacked a shot from 30 yards that flew over the bar towards the end and I thought that was it.

Up step Kaiser; back post header to make it 2-2. Elation.

Also, for the giggles; Tony Vaughan vs Dundee Utd in the Adminstration season? Think it was an equaliser, can't be sure.

Not quite last minute but late on...Willie Falconer against Rangers in 1998 to seal a 2-1 win at Fir Park.

Luminous yellow strip, headline on back page of the Motherwell Times was 'Muddy Marvel'. Remember it well; was sitting in the 'family' section in the Main stand next to the Rangers fans who sat right next to us with a wooden barrier between me and them. One of them reached over my brother and I, grabbed and threatened my uncle after he'd told him to calm down because of the family section being right next to him.

i remembered this as being a last minute winner but it was 83. still a great game.

Motherwell 3-2 Aberdeen Young Motherwell striker James McFadden came off the bench to score the winner for the home side in a five-goal thriller at Fir Park.

Aberdeen had played second fiddle to a lively Motherwell side for much of the game half, finding themselves two down within 20 minutes.

The first move of the game came from the home side when Martyn Corrigan sent in a teasing cross after an intelligent diagonal ball from returning Scott Leitch. The ball was eventually cleared by the Aberdeen defence.

The game came to life after eight minutes when Keith Lasley's attempted shot took a wicked deflection off Aberdeen's Philip Maguire, allowing Stephen Pearson to ease the ball past Kjaer and into the Don's net.

By now, Motherwell were enjoying the lion's share of possession, with Scott Leitch in particular using the ball well.

Stunned

By contrast Aberdeen seemed stunned by the early goal and were struggling to settle.

Stuart Elliot grabbed Motherwell's second after 17 minutes, capitalising on a mistake by the unfortunate Maguire who tried to control the ball in his own penalty area, but succeeded only in gifting the ball to Elliot who turned swiftly before crashing the ball into the net.

Aberdeen's first real attempt at goal came in the 26th minute when Robbie Winters laid the ball back for Derek Young - but his 20-yard drive was wide.

Robbie Winters pulled one back for the visitors just before the interval, when he rose to meet a Derek Young cross to send the ball looping over the stranded Brown.

Winters could have grabbed a sensational equaliser seconds before the half-time whistle, but his curling free-kick was easily saved by Mark Brown.

_1672024_lasley150.jpg
Motherwell's Keith Lasley stretches for the ball

Darren Mackie almost levelled the score minutes after the restart, but his attempt was thwarted by Motherwell debutant, Eric Deloumeaux.

Ryan Esson replaced Peter Kjaer in the Aberdeen goal, after the Danish internationalist failed to recover from a first-half knock.

Motherwell continued to enjoy most of the possession, winning a succession of corners but Aberdeen coped with them all.

A deflected Pearson through-ball almost put Derek Adams in but Kevin McNaughton had tracked back to get there first.

Substitute Hicham Zerouali levelled for the Dons 11 minutes from time with a sensational strike from the edge of the box, after Darren Mackie had laid the ball off for him.

Minutes later, another substitute, James McFadden, put Motherwell back in front when he nodded in an inviting cross from the right by Stuart Elliot.

The young striker's goal proved to be the winner, as Motherwell deservedly atoned for the defeat by Aberdeen at Pittodrie earlier in the month.

Motherwell: Brown, Corrigan, Ready, Strong, Hammell, Deloumeaux, Lasley, Leitch, Pearson, Elliott, Adams.

Subs: Dow, Forrest, Martinez, Woods, McFadden.

Aberdeen: Kjaer, Anderson, McGuire, Whyte, McNaughton, Tiernan, Derek Young, Bisconti, Winters, Dadi, Mackie.

Subs: Guntveit, McAllister, Zerouali, Thornley, Esson.

Referee: K Toner

Couple more spring to mind;

McHugh's 89th winner at Easter Road in Decemeber 2012 to complete a 3-2 win having been 0-2 down.

And Stephen Nicholas - remember him - in what was about his only good game for us against St.Johnstone at Perth in 01/02. We were 0-1 and 1-2 down, Nicholas got a double with his second being a stoppage time winner prompting him to remove his top in celebration and looking like a skinny wee 13 year old in the process.