Goals

Frazzie

Clarky was utter gash last night, and with him off-form it was only ever going to end 'Motherwell Nil'. Last season, we had three strikers who scored well into double figures and that compensated for a midfield that produces hee-haw. If Clarkson stays off the boil, or if he picks up an injury, where are the goals going to come from?

It's a scandal that a first team squad that contains midfielders such as Fitzpatrick, Hughes, Lasley, Smith, McGarry, Klimpl and Malcolm, we can't hope for more than a couple of goals a season from any of them. The vast majority of teams we're competing with have at least one goalscoring midfielder like Kingston, Dornan, Rankin, Imrie, etc or even centre-backs that can chip in from set pieces like Wilkie, Jones, etc but we literally have no-one.

The last three games against St. Mirren, as well as the league games against Hibs and Falkirk would all have been won in my opinion if we had that someone to get into the right place at the right time, or even to hit a shot from outside the box. But it's just not happening.

Sort it out, McGhee!

Rant over.

Frazzle

Clarky was utter gash last night, and with him off-form it was only ever going to end 'Motherwell Nil'. Last season, we had three strikers who scored well into double figures and that compensated for a midfield that produces hee-haw. If Clarkson stays off the boil, or if he picks up an injury, where are the goals going to come from?

It's a scandal that a first team squad that contains midfielders such as Fitzpatrick, Hughes, Lasley, Smith, McGarry, Klimpl and Malcolm, we can't hope for more than a couple of goals a season from any of them. The vast majority of teams we're competing with have at least one goalscoring midfielder like Kingston, Dornan, Rankin, Imrie, etc or even centre-backs that can chip in from set pieces like Wilkie, Jones, etc but we literally have no-one.

The last three games against St. Mirren, as well as the league games against Hibs and Falkirk would all have been won in my opinion if we had that someone to get into the right place at the right time, or even to hit a shot from outside the box. But it's just not happening.

Sort it out, McGhee!

Rant over.

Frazzle

Agree with you to a certain extent here Frazzle old chap...but just a few points to add:

1/ Clarkson has never been a goalscorer as his 1 goal in 4.5matches tells you - last season was his best return ever for us - and the vast majority of they goals were created from Rosco, Porter and Shug

2/The style of play McGhee plays is passing football - and that hampers midfielders chance of goals.

3/ Sutton is our teams most proven goalscorer and I think he needs to be utilized more than Clarkson to get these goals.

But I do strongly agree that the midfield hav to get their finger out and help out with the goals. As much as I rate Shuggie, the boy needs to learn to hit them. How many times has he been in space on the edge of the box and been looking for a pass?!

Last season we had a greedy wee bar steward in Rosco, who would try the unthinkable and sometimes it would pay off. We badly lack that this year, but I think O'Brien has the potential to offer that outlet. I feel he should be cutting inside and looking for shots much more!

Fizzy isn't a regular goalscorer, neither is McGarry, Lasley or DLS - only a couple of goals a season each if any. And Klimpl is still undetermined, though I'd love to see more of the same that he showed against United - shooting with power from outside the box.

So sad truth is, we aren't a goalscoring team - especially with Ports and Rosco away. Hopefully the whole team can try that bit harder and get us the goasl we badly need!

1/ Clarkson has never been a goalscorer as his 1 goal in 4.5matches tells you - last season was his best return ever for us - and the vast majority of they goals were created from Rosco, Porter and Shug

1 in 4.5 sounds poor granted but Clarkson has a better than 1 in 3 ratio under McGhee, approx 1 in 2.8. For all the goals created for him he created a fair few for others.

2/The style of play McGhee plays is passing football - and that hampers midfielders chance of goals.

Not agreeing or disagreeing but our midfielders do get in and about the area and rarely have a dig. I think they could mix it up a bit more.

3/ Sutton is our teams most proven goalscorer and I think he needs to be utilized more than Clarkson to get these goals.

Sutton looks as mobile as a double decker bus at times but he has shown in his career he kows where goals are, not sure why we used him so little since Porter left but I don't think it should be at Clarksons expence. Hope he gets his chance on sunday and takes it as nothing against Sheridan but good, bad or indifferent he a loan player and rather see Sutton settle into the team and do the business than some guy who'll be off in summer anyway.

We needed to re-invest the monay received for Porter in another striker. We haven't and we will suffer accordingly. Sheridan isn't the answer, lthough he may do well enough in spells. Our final ball is very poor and even wehn it isn't we don't have the men in the middle who can put these chances away. Richie Foran could've done another job for us.

Maybe rather than questioning the ability of our current players, there deserves to be a bit of scrutiny over our training methods and set-pieces in particular.

When it comes to free-kicks and corners we generally offer very little threat. Hammelll used to have a decent strike on him, now he seems content at 'lofting' the ball into the box when he is 25 yards from goal.

As for corners, there is rarely any pace on the ball. And why the fuck do we keep Craigan and Reynolds back? Very few clubs in world football must keep both there centre halves back at corners. Craigan and Reynolds used to pop up with a goal once in a while did they not!?

Maybe rather than questioning the ability of our current players, there deserves to be a bit of scrutiny over our training methods and set-pieces in particular.

Similarly, what's the thinking behind the throw-ins? Very rarely do Motherwell seem to gain any advantage from throw-ins (we can all dream of Craigan opening the gate once more to repeat that throw in)

To be fair, we have scored a few goals (three maybe :unsure:) this season from quick thinking of Hammell and Quinn from throw-ins. Unfortunately I don't get this whole lets stand still for a while and then decide to move for the thrower. Nor do I get this whole "we have a throw in in line with the six yard box so lets wait for Hammell/Quinn/Craigan to get the ball when Clarky/Hughes/Sheridan/Sutton are all there or there abouts"

As for Craigan's throws, he had one late on last night that was very dangerous, but our players (Smith maybe) decided that he would foul the defender instead of make a fair challenge.

thats the thing we need to be working on, in todays world, a lot of teams are so evenly matched that the way to win is through set pieces, long free kicks, short free kicks,corners + throw ins all provide opportunities to get the ball into the oppos box + more importantly score a goal!

And lets face it, when some of our players have worse crossing,passing + ball control than most pub league players we need to exploit every opportunity we get!

Like or loathe him, Clarkson has scored a vast percentage of our goals this season (bettered only by someone who is currently on Derby's books) and particularly since Sutton's early season burst dried up. He has his faults but looking at our form when both he and Craigan were out of the side, it tells you all you need to know about his value to the side. At the moment, if he's injured or off form (as he was last night), we're snookered. It also means it's all too easy for opponents to close us down.

The way we are set up means that Clarkson is the focal point of our attack. To get the best out of John Sutton we would need to have crosses coming in from both flanks. That would mean 4-4-2. And for all his obvious qualities, Stephen Hughes isn't cut out for playing in the centre of a midfield four in the SPL. He doesn't bring the necessary graft to the table. In the SPL, you need to win the battle before you play football. So do you sacrifice Hughes in order to give Clarkson a partner who might share goalscoring duties? I would but from all his comments, we all know how highly McGhee rates Hughes. I would say he needs to find a way to accomodate Hughes into his team without basing his team around him (the first cup game vs St Mirren as an exampleas how badly that can go wrong), Maybe 3-5-2?

Oh, aye, and I tend to agree with those who wish we'd shoot from around the edge of the box now and again...

Sort it out, McGhee!

Rant over.

Frazzle

I blame the Trust!

Sort it out McGhee!

Think Sheridan will chip in with a few goals for us, however, long term we need to replace McCormack..players like O'Brien, McGarry, DLS should be scoring more or at least getting into scoring positions IMO. Elsewhere on the park, looking at Celtic...Loovens has scored 3, McManus 4, Caldwell 2..Dundee United, Wilkie's chipped in with 5, Dods 2..Aberdeen Mulgrew (albeit freekicks) 4, Diamond 3 ...Even Killie have had two goals a piece from Ford and Wright

You look at us and....Reynolds 0...Craigan 0...Quinn 0...Hammell 0!

We have a reliance on our strikers and when there off form we have nothing elsewhere...ironically the only midfielder/make shift centre back that has actually bagged an impressive 3 goals this year is...Big bad Boab!

For me the problem seems to be when we get the ball in or around the box the players dither about look for a pass.

The solution shoot on sight get the ball in or around the box have a dig at goal odds are some will go in others will go out for corners giving us more opportunities to score