Scottish Cup 2014-15

ekwellfan

Here's a possible scenario that i don't think has been though over by the SFA / SPFL regarding next years competition

The Date for the Cup final has been decided as 30th May 2015

Should the Premiership champions reach the cup final and win( for arguments sake say Celtic as champions play Motherwell) Then unless Motherwell finish 2nd or 3rd in the league the first tie in the Europa league would be on the first Thursday in July giving a close season of approximately 4 and a half weeks.

This would be true of any club losing to the premiership champions

I understand the season kicks off 1 week later due to the Commonwealth games and the cup final cannot be on on the 23rd of May due to the champions league final but surely there are alternatives.

1) Play an extra midweek game with the season finishing 1 week earlier and play the cup final on 16th May or

2) Keep the season as it is and play cup final on Sunday 24th May

This scenario is not at all unlikely and would certainly disadvantage our representative in the Europa league. I believe the Scottish national ranking is unchanged from last year at 23rd in UEFA rankings so our teams would have to compete at the same stages as this year.

Thoughts?

there are euro 2016 qualifiers on the 12-14 june 2015 when we are away to ROI so i think the sfa will want to keep the season going for as long as possible.

the FA cup final is the same day and the championship play off final the previous monday. the EPL finishes the same weekend as the champions league final which could cause problems.