Aftermath: A Few Thoughts From Abroad (And Some From Closer To Home Too)

The African

Well that was a bit of a roller coaster ride, both the season in general and the play off games.

Now that the dust has settled and my sleep patterns are returning to normal having gotten up at 2am on Monday morning, local time, to follow the second leg, I thought I might be bold enough to give a few very personal opinions on recent events.

Firstly, it is great we are still in the top division. Thirty one seasons there, for a club of our stature, is some achievement. Going down would have been interesting but the novelty would have soon worn off and the financial implications would have been far from positive.

Really good performances over both legs, but by God they were a piss poor outfit. The only reason I had the fear was forty years plus of being a Motherwell fan.

Credit to our support, especially those at Ibrox last Thursday evening. We, unlike a few clubs, never claim to be the "best supporters in the world", how do you quantify such a glib statement? We are who we are, we follow our team, and hopefully behave in a reasonable manner. The noise and utter joyfullness of the 950 made me proud to be a Motherwell fan.

The game on Sunday was equally pleasing though I think we got a couple of things wrong on the day. The guy who managed to strike Lee McCulloch on the face with the flag is a prime example. Not wishing to pick on the individual, but it was a pretty silly thing to do and could have seriously cost both him and the club. I understand that emotions were high, but please just try and think of the possible consequences. The same goes for the traditional pitch invasion at the end of the match. Again, emotions over pouring, but why give an opportunity to our opponents and an unfriendly media to have a go at us?

A few words for the gallant losers. The performance on the park tells us that they are not the side they claim to be. They are a new team and they are shite. I am actually quite disappointed we did not score a couple more just to rub that point in, and, though we played okay, let's not let that cover up the fact that we had a fairly dire season.

The fans haven't changed though. Unsurprising as it is the same bunch of people. It was actually good to be reminded just what a thoroughly awful lot they are. The irony of their club statement offering to help in any investigation into our support's behaviour just beggars belief. Take a look in the mirror!

The utter ghastliness of their support does lead to a reasonable excuse for the few things that did not go as well as it might, especially on Sunday. Losing to, and being relegated by them would have been awful. Much worse than by Hibs or QoS. That prospect was responsible for the atmosphere on Sunday and, as such, I think the odd indiscretion was understandable.

Anyway, hope folk don't think I am being too critical. It was bad enough following it from the other side of the world so it must have been pretty tough for those of you at the match.

Onwards and upwards, let's hope for better next season. Good luck to the manager and the team and all who follow Motherwell F C.

One last thing, Twist and Shout is awesome!

• Like 6

I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your thread African but I was about to post this and your thread seemed a fairly appropriate spot to do so.

Started off as a putting a few words down but it kind of kept going. Ach it'll pass a couple of minutes on your way to work if nothing else....

We are Staying Up!

https://andrewpatersonblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/01/we-are-staying-up/

• Like 7

What a read from both of you. Both so perfectly summed up every fans feelings of this past week. I still can't believe it, we are staying up and by some considerable distance. And Andy you should see my legs, black and fucking blue haha.

CMON THE WELL!!!!

I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your thread African but I was about to post this and your thread seemed a fairly appropriate spot to do so.

Started off as a putting a few words down but it kind of kept going. Ach it'll pass a couple of minutes on your way to work if nothing else....

We are Staying Up!

Not a problem. In fact, it is a great read and I really enjoyed it.

Absolute KUDO's to both of you - couldn't have put it any better.

Wonderful reading both these pieces.

I don't think the 'flag poking' was intentional and something that to his credit Lee McCulloch didn't make much of, so there wasn't really anything 'we got wrong" and again I don't think the person involved went out of his way to deliberately target, McCulloch, or any other player for that matter.

The pitch invasion - now Andy couldn't have described my emotions at the time any better - my first thought was get of the f....g park, this is all the excuse the authorities will need to overturn the result and catapult Rangers back into the big league.

Thanks to both of you.

We are Staying Up!

Andy, a good read.

I had the same thoughts about the establishment finding a way to get Sevco up.

2 Goals awarded to Sevco for the pitch invasion

2 Goals awarded for Erwin pushing Moshni

2 Goals awarded for the flare

and just for good measure 2 goals for each red card given to Motherwell.

May seem a little excessive but you know if the establishment could do it and keep their integrity intact they would.