Oldham Fan Peace

AFCTinpot

New manager, assistant, right back, centre-forward and a goalkeeper all with 'Well connections. Doesn't look like many are too disappointed to see Law go but a few opinions on the others would be appreciated.

It's hard to get upbeat at the moment in truth and the majority of Blues think some big changes are needed but Robinson's said all the right things so far. Looks like he wants grafters.

Good luck for the season. Met a good lad (Motherwell fan) when travelling a few years back so I don't mind your lot ;-)

Edited by AFCTinpot

They are all injury prone, rotten, done the dirty on us and will absolutely bomb in your shitty league. And all those all those other lovely things you Oldham fans said about Chris Porter, Motherwell and Scottish fitba when he left you to sign for us .... :spiteful::P

In seriousness Robinson seems a pretty highly regarded coach. It was perceived as a good bit of business by Ian Barraclough to tempt him to Fir Park when he became our manager eighteen months or so back. It's always hard to gauge how an assistant manager is doing because you don't know to what extent the manager leans upon him but certainly there were few if any dissenting voices about him during his time at Motherwell. He seems have to have growing reputation as a coach. You'll find out soon enough as to how he is as a manager I guess.

Ripley, I suspect will do well for you. He came on considerably during his season at Motherwell both in terms of ability, confidence and physique. I liked the fact that he appeared very keen to ingratiate himself into Motherwell FC culture, if you want to call it that. He seemed keen to interact with fans and appeared to take an interest beyond just collecting his wages. To his credit as a loan player. I must admit whilst I fully expected him to go back out on loan but to a Championship side in England rather then League One as a challenge up from the Scottish top flight.

Erwin had promise at Fir Park but due to injuries was only really involved seriously for about six months. He wasn't prolific but scored some good, and important, goals. Has good movement and is clearly very confident in his own ability. He really benefited from playing alongside Scott McDonald so if you've an experienced whinging moany striker that he can learn from he's got a chance of doing well for you.

Law happened to score two inside 20 minutes on his debut whilst playing out of position and arguably it was the worst thing he could ever have done as it was impossible to live up to it. Suffered for being perceived as a "utility" player and was played (generally poorly) all over the team whilst the "Son of McCall" type bitching grew ever louder. In fairness he would always give his all, never hid despite being in a poor, struggling Motherwell side. Once he settled at right back you knew what you'd get. Rarely outstanding, rarely awful you would generally get an honest hard working competent performance from him without ever convincing you he was going to push on.

I'm sure we'll be watching all of their progress with interest in the coming months.

Ripley - Good goalie. All round fairly competent. Bit suspect at crosses but strong and good shot stopper. Seems a bit of a character in the dressing room.

Law - Will give you 100%. One of those players, at Scottish Premiership level, not really good enough to be a right back or a right midfielder. Gets caught ball watching a fair bit.

Erwin - Big strong forward. Likes ball at his feet and good at using it when it's there. Only played a handful of decent games for us near end of his final (and first!) season for the first team so hard to tell really. But for those few games he scored a few and was involved in a lot of good play.

If Erwin has his head screwed on, you'll have your best striker since Chris Porter. Ripley is a solid keeper with plenty of scope for development. Law will try his best.

Robinson could prove to be a very shrewd appointment if he can manage the transition from assistant to manager. Undoubtedly a good coach.

Hard to disagree with what grizzlyg, Andy_P, superward and Lobey_Dosser have said.

Robinson - seems a very highly regarded coach, Baraclough bringing him in was one of the handful of positives to be drawn from his time at the club (alongside Moult and Johnson). Difficult to know how he'll do given he's taking a step up from assistant to manager. I'd be absolutely bricking it if I were you and it was Baraclough in with Robinson as his assistant however since it's not you can probably rest a bit easier.

Ripley - best goalkeeper we've had since Ruddy/Randolph, though that possibly says as much about the goalkeepers we've had as anything. First thing to say is that he 'looks' like a goalkeeper, tall and has a bit of presence. Found his feet with us the more he played but still prone to a lapse in concentration (see goals he conceded vs Thistle and Celtic at Fir Park). You'd think the more games he gets the better he'll do. Absolutely no denying he put in some outstanding performances (notably the 2-1 win vs Aberdeen at Fir Park).

Law - for me he was the definition of a 'squad player', sort of guy you'd happily have step in and cover positions, will give you endeavour and has a good delivery but not the sort of guy you'd want to be your first pick right back IMO. It's difficult to shake the notion that he's been converted to that role. He knows roughly how to play the position but doesn't defend like a natural right back should (see comments about him getting caught ball watching).

Erwin - The positive here is that Baraclough and Robinson actually managed to get the best out him in the short stint of games that he showed form. Definitely benefited from being played through the middle alongside McDonald. Rangey and physical if Robinson can get a tune out of him again then you should have a decent centre forward, he's categorically not a winger though (I saw Steve Evans trying make an argument for him playing out wide for Dirty Leeds before he got his jotters).

Ripley - a very capable goal keeper. His main strengths are shop stopping and one on ones. Not any obvious weaknesses but is prone to the odd lack of concentration. Our best since John ruddy and Darren Randolph (both international goalies) As others have suggested engages with the club and supporters, not typical of other loanees who only seem interested in collecting a wage and then returning to parent club.

Law - He's not a midfielder which is where we played him for the first 6 months of the season two seasons ago and which nearly led to relegation. Latterly played at full back for us. Positives gets forward well and can play a good cross in to the box. Now for the disadvantages - He struggles positionally at times and switches off at the back post. I cannot see him being good enough to be a first pick at league one level.

Erwin - very good technically and links play well. Best played through the middle either as front man or just off, not as a winger. For his size he's not good in the air. Can score a goal out of nothing but equally likely to miss a sitter.

Robinson - very well thought of. It will be interesting to see how his first gig as manager turns out as good number twos don't always result in good managers.

Good luck

Cheers all. On the subject of goalkeepers, I've seen that you've signed Dean Brill. May have improved over the last few years but it's no exaggeration when I say he's the worst keeper we've had in my lifetime. I'm sure he survived as long as he did in our side for comedy value alone. Hard to put into words exactly how bad he was.

• Like 1

Erwin and Ripley were over rated by our support. Erwin definitely had some raw talent that suggested he could go to a higher level , lots of improvement needed when he left here though. Ripley mightve been the best since Randolph but he shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath as him ,Mark McGhee couldve spent the season in goals and wouldve probably been the best since Randolph.

Law probably a bit under rated as he was something of a whipping boy, as BWF says above he was effective going forward as assist stats show but thats not much use if youre playing in defence and causing a couple to go in at the back by sleeping

Just about everyones opinion on Robinson on here is irrelevant , they are guessing as unless they watched training they'd have no idea how good or otherwise he is - he was animated trackside and very involved during games though.

Sorry i dont do social media so cant advise on how good Ripley or the rest are at giving you a retweet like or follow to persuade you, if you are that gullible into believing that they are one of the boys and Boro/Motherwell/Oldham through and through although what the f*** that has to do with their ability as a player is beyond me anyway :ph34r:

• Like 2

Erwin and Ripley were over rated by our support. Erwin definitely had some raw talent that suggested he could go to a higher level , lots of improvement needed when he left here though. Ripley mightve been the best since Randolph but he shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath as him ,Mark McGhee couldve spent the season in goals and wouldve probably been the best since Randolph.

Law probably a bit under rated as he was something of a whipping boy, as BWF says above he was effective going forward as assist stats show but thats not much use if youre playing in defence and causing a couple to go in at the back by sleeping

Just about everyones opinion on Robinson on here is irrelevant , they are guessing as unless they watched training they'd have no idea how good or otherwise he is - he was animated trackside and very involved during games though.

Sorry i dont do social media so cant advise on how good Ripley or the rest are at giving you a retweet like or follow to persuade you, if you are that gullible into believing that they are one of the boys and Boro/Motherwell/Oldham through and through although what the f*** that has to do with their ability as a player is beyond me anyway :ph34r:

Wake up with a sore head? Tattie scones get burnt in the frying pan or something?

• Like 1

I've not really known what out players look like since about '98... Not on Twitter myself but it's apparently primarily used to abuse our players anyway.

Wake up with a sore head? Tattie scones get burnt in the frying pan or something?

Because i dont think Ripley is Dino Zoff ?

Time will tell but this time last year Erwin was destined for Real Madrid , i'll follow Ripleys career with interest.

What kind of fan interaction was it that impressed you with Ripley and how did it make him a more valuable player to us than other loanees ?

Cheers all. On the subject of goalkeepers, I've seen that you've signed Dean Brill. May have improved over the last few years but it's no exaggeration when I say he's the worst keeper we've had in my lifetime. I'm sure he survived as long as he did in our side for comedy value alone. Hard to put into words exactly how bad he was.

Interestingly, it was Robinson who got him talking to Motherwell...

Because i dont think Ripley is Dino Zoff ?

Time will tell but this time last year Erwin was destined for Real Madrid , i'll follow Ripleys career with interest.

What kind of fan interaction was it that impressed you with Ripley and how did it make him a more valuable player to us than other loanees ?

I was ofcourse being facetious, your view on the players and Robinson, is no more or less valid than anyone elses, even if put across in an slightly amusingly dry manner.

But since you ask about the interaction you can surely see the merits between someone like Ripley who seemed genuinely positive about being out at a club on loan, who sought to make the very most of the opportunity which was helped by establishing a good rapport and relationship with the Motherwell support; as opposed to someone like Calum Elliot who couldn't give a shit and gret like fuck about a 45 minute train journey from Edinburgh.

Law is an amateur player promoted to full time due to Stuart McCall being pally with his father. To be fair to the guy tho he does give his all but is simply not good enough.

Ripley is a very promising young keeper who needs games to learn and make mistakes. He made quite a few with us last year but i do think he'll end up a very good goalie at a better level than either Motherwell or Oldham.

Erwin........just not sure about the boy. At times i thought he looked excellent and other times awful. Another boy who could get better if he screwed the head but unsure if he'll ever do that due to him being connected to a totally unscrupulous agent who'll have his head turning constantly.

All the best to Oldham next year, Robinson might do well. Ive spoken to the guy a few times and i find him a really dour Northern Irish guy but he seems to be well rated. Baraclough could be his assistant and i think he'd be a very good assistant as he's not really a manager, too nice a guy.

Crikey

New manager, assistant, right back, centre-forward and a goalkeeper all with 'Well connections. Doesn't look like many are too disappointed to see Law go but a few opinions on the others would be appreciated.

It's hard to get upbeat at the moment in truth and the majority of Blues think some big changes are needed but Robinson's said all the right things so far. Looks like he wants grafters.

Good luck for the season. Met a good lad (Motherwell fan) when travelling a few years back so I don't mind your lot ;-)

Josh Law - No problem with attitude just ability. We want to be challenging for the top half of the Scottish Premiership and Josh Law just wasn't good enough.

Lee Erwin - A frustrating player. Good pace, good with the ball at his feet but very poor for someone his size in the air and crucially for a forward, not a very good finisher. Will cause defences problems without actually scoring too often.

Connor Ripley - A young goalkeeper learning the trade. Decent shot stopper, sometimes flaps at crosses. Good at coming off his line to narrow angles for oncoming strikers. Doesn't take command his area enough although that is usually something that comes with experience for goalkeepers.

• Like 1

Connor Ripley. MOTM versus Celtic despite letting a trickler through his legs and costing us a point. Kinda sums him up.

Josh Law. Not the worst player ever, not great. Consitently average.

Lee Erwin. Doesn't play like player he looks but, if his head is right, do you a good turn.

Robinson is highly rated but it's difficult to know.

I think you'll do well.

I was not convinced by Ripley at the start of the season and he made a few mistakes that some of our previous goalkeepers would have been slaughtered for but he came onto a game and did well for us in the second half of the season.

I found Erwin a very frustrating player to watch when he broke through but he offered something different at a time when we were fighting relegation. At times he was clumsy looking with a poor touch, at others he was able to run at players and his quick change in direction got us some important goals. Disappointing in the air for his size but he certainly has potential and I'd like to see him do well.

I'd agree with almost of all of the comments on Law. Gives his all, doesn't hide but was a bit lacking and we needed a better right back.

Don't really know anything about Robinson but Stephen Craigan did say he was our best signing (in a period of many signings).

• Like 1

What'd he do? I canny mind. I will check the highlights but I really liked Ripley. Thought folk were a bit off with him, always looked solid to me!

A shot from distance (Booth I think), seemed to dip a bit but he completely missed it. Wasn't on a par with the Celtic one but had we not been 3-0 up at the time he'd have taken a kicking for it. https://youtu.be/l_FrlHqP4wo?t=6m52s