Left Backs

sinjy

No he didn't. By the time Hammell made his debut, squad numbers were in play. He's never worn the number 4 shirt. I'm sure he's worn 25, 16 and latterly 3 during his time with Motherwell. Although I'm sure Joeboy will be along soon with official confirmation.

Well he's listed as wearing 4 in the official league records and there is no mention of squad numbers until the season after McMillan left, ie, 2001/02.

For the record his squad number is 16 for 2001/02.

How many Motherwell fans know that we paid £440000. Yes four hundred and forty grand for Shawn McScimming. By far the BIGGEST disaster ever of a signing we've ever made.

Painful to think that Alex McLeish spent close to 2 million in his first season, just think what the club could do with that cash these days. Eddie May was another poor signing, attacking midfielder often deployed at full back.

Painful to think that Alex McLeish spent close to 2 million in his first season, just think what the club could do with that cash these days. Eddie May was another poor signing, attacking midfielder often deployed at full back.

It still angers me to this day that McLeish was given so much money to spend, especially given that one of the main reasons McLean left was lack of budget.

• Like 2

Gava Falkirk Stevie Kirk, AND Paul McGrillen, AND cash...just to get Eddie May. And then played him in a different position from the one he had impressed in at Falkirk!

Gava Falkirk Stevie Kirk, AND Paul McGrillen, AND cash...just to get Eddie May. And then played him in a different position from the one he had impressed in at Falkirk!

He did the same with mcskimming. He was a very good attacking midfielder at the time and MacLeish then deployed him often at full back or left midfield. He was far from the worst player to play for us at time and was often, unfairly in my opinion, gauged against his transfer fee and the fact he never played regularly due to injury.

He did the same with mcskimming. He was a very good attacking midfielder at the time and MacLeish then deployed him often at full back or left midfield. He was far from the worst player to play for us at time and was often, unfairly in my opinion, gauged against his transfer fee and the fact he never played regularly due to injury.

McSkimming wasn't a bad player at all but his fee was excessive and he was made out of bone china.

Think it was £100-150k for Roddie. The one that got me during that era was John Hendry, over £200k iirc.

A year later Hendry was playing for Stirling Albion and a year after that Pollok Juniors.

McLeish wasted so much money. He paid over the odds for Eddie May and Shaun McSkimming and bought duds like Roddie and Hendry yet he never got any criticism in the media. To this day I loath the man. He is up there with Roger Hynd, Bobby Watson and Harry Kampman as the worst manager we have ever had. He Spent a couple of million and took a team that had finished third and second to the relegation play off. A complete tosser.

I think McLeish has proved time and time again he is a decent coach, but terrible talent spotter. He tweaked wee Tommy's team's tactics and had them playing well, but then failed miserably when it was time to rebuild his own.

The reason he got an easy ride from the media is because he was quite articulate and capable of dealing with them. That, plus his success as a player meant the average "how do you feel?" journo thought he was a genius.

• Like 1

Hendry came highly recommended, but spent his time back in Glasgow getting hammered at the snooker club on a daily basis. He was mates with a crowd of boys I knew back then and just wasted any talent he had. He missed a sitter against Rangers at Ibrox I remember clearly, heading over from two yards out.

McLeish knew Roddie from Aberdeen and thought he was a decent prospect.

We did pay way over the odds for these two players and went on to buy Falconer at £200,000 too.

A year later Hendry was playing for Stirling Albion and a year after that Pollok Juniors.

McLeish wasted so much money. He paid over the odds for Eddie May and Shaun McSkimming and bought duds like Roddie and Hendry yet he never got any criticism in the media. To this day I loath the man. He is up there with Roger Hynd, Bobby Watson and Harry Kampman as the worst manager we have ever had. He Spent a couple of million and took a team that had finished third and second to the relegation play off. A complete tosser.

Maurice Malpas?