Paul Wilson

livivoice

R I P Paul.

Worthy of our respect for a number of reasons. Firstly, as a former player, even if his time with us was not successful. Secondly, and probably most importantly, as a player who, for no other reason than his heritage, faced and dealt with the insidious racial abuse of the time with more dignity than it deserved. Thirdly, and only slightly with tongue in cheek, for scoring the two goals which helped deny Airdrieonions a cup final win, after they had knocked us out in the dodgiest of fashions in the semi final.

Thoughts and prayers with his family and friends.

He certainly didn't join us at the best time - we finished bottom of the league with 17 points - but still part of my formative years, disappointments and all.

Didn't realise he was a groundbreaker by being the first Asian to have represented any of the 4 home nations at senior level.

RIP Paul.

He scored against us in this 2-0 defeat to Celtic. former Motherwell striker Dixie Deans scored the other one.

GW768_H1049.jpg

Shame to hear about his passing at such a young age......I'm sure he played in the game where we won 2-1 at piggery in the relegation season

In the mid to late 70's I recall us having a not bad record against Smeltic especially away......Big Goldie and Willie P loved scoring against them........unfortunately Dixie and Lennox always seemed to return the favour