Brian Mclean

Steve Diggle

Say that too, great news!

He a really nice big lad and a true professional, and his injury was a right bad one you wouldn't wish on anyone. When he came in at right back at the end of last season I thought he was immense and I'm delighted to he is now getting back to match fitness. Looking forward to seeing him in first team action soon.

Hope he can have a right good run injury free, deserves it after this season.

Say that too, great news!

He a really nice big lad and a true professional, and his injury was a right bad one you wouldn't wish on anyone. When he came in at right back at the end of last season I thought he was immense and I'm delighted to he is now getting back to match fitness. Looking forward to seeing him in first team action soon.

Hope he can have a right good run injury free, deserves it after this season.

What he said...

PS.. Had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and can honestly say he deserves a lot of credit for hanging in and working so hard to get back to full fitness..

Best of luck for the season Stretch..

Looking forward to seeing him playing again! You think he will get ahead of Craigan when he gets back? How long has he got till full fitness? Can't be that long?

I'd have him ahead of Reynolds before I had him ahead of Craigan right now.....

craggs is our best center half,

Totally agree...

At the end of last season I was thinking Craigan was just about finished, but since his return from injury this season he has really shown how importrant he is to the squad and has been in a rich vein of form.

I think McLean's best bet is pushing Coach - although he could maybe play in the centre with Craggs, moth Reynolds to left back, Hammell to left wing and drop a midfielder that isn't performing.

Loads of opportunitiy for him to fight his way into the team.

If he stays fit and works his way into the first team then he is the ideal replacement for either Craigan or Quinn. He excelled at right back while Quinn was out after the gypsy hay-bailer he got.

Strange, I thought the general opinion on here at the time was he was never a right back. He regularly tried drifting towards centre-half position (like Quinn) and got absolutely skinned a few times for crucial crosses.

More than happy to see him come back though, just not at right-back.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ppy-ending.html

Motherwell's life of Brian McLean deserves to have a happy ending

Creamery Park, Bathgate, sounds more like a place for dreams to curdle than to be stirred. Not for Brian McLean, though.

By Roddy Forsyth

Last Updated: 9:53PM GMT 26 Feb 2009

His 81 minutes in a reserve game for Motherwell against Kilmarnock on Tuesday represented a mighty stride, in every sense of the word.

Nine months ago, as he lay crumpled on an Austrian pitch – victim of a thuggish tackle in a pre-season friendly – the affable, articulate defender thought his career was over, not before it had begun but just as it had promised to restart. A cruciate ligament injury is one of the most feared in football's medical lexicon, but when McLean felt the tendons in his right knee snap, it was not for the first time.

He had suffered the same injury against Hearts at Tynecastle in September 2007 and had been ruled out for the rest of that campaign, but after a graft from his good knee, was able to haul himself back to fitness by the end of the season. As part of Motherwell's summer warm-up they met the Romanian side, CFR Cluj in Austria with McLean appearing as a half-time substitute.

He lasted only until Cluj's Argentinian forward, Diego Ruiz, went over the top with a tackle that snapped the ligament. McLean's shriek of pain brought the Motherwell bench on to the field in rage – although, unbelievably, Ruiz was allowed to play on until he elbowed Mark Reynolds in the face and was removed by his own management.

"When it happened again I was devastated. It was a really bad tackle, I didn't even see it coming," McLean recollected. "I was being too honest.

"I knew straight away it was bad because the pain was incredible. It was a million times worse than the first time. I knew I'd done something bad and all I could do was pray.

"I kept thinking, 'Why me?' I was practically crying on the pitch. There was a bit of afters between the managers and that didn't help."

In the ambulance on the way to the local hospital, McLean began to address the disturbing truth that, even if he could play again, he would have to go through mind numbing months of rehabilitation.

"I knew what I had to do to make it back – it was unlucky that it happened in the same knee again, but actually that helped me.

"And the boys here were great. You know what it's like in football, you don't get sympathy – you get pelters regardless of the circumstances. My mindset was always strong and I think I've returned a million times better than last time."

McLean could take the field again at right back for Motherwell on Saturday at Inverness – Paul Quinn is suspended – against a team reviving under Terry Butcher, the man who first brought him to Fir Park.

"Terry has so many special qualities and he always gets the best out of every player – he was great when I got injured the first time – but I want to put one over on him if I'm selected.

"I feel fine but it's up to me to prove to everyone else I'm back in business."

And if not at Inverness, McLean will sooner or later be back in action at Fir Park – but the notorious pitch is no place for a footballer just out of convalescence, surely?

"Listen", said McLean, with quiet emphasis. "I can tackle anything – including that pitch. I can't afford to show fear. It doesn't matter if it's Troon beach or Fir Park, I'll take my bucket and spade out with me if I have to, but it's not going to be an issue."

Absolutely delighted that the big man is on his way back, fingers crossed he can get an injury free run and fulfil his potential. Really good centre-half on his day.

Bringing him back tomorrow though? Can't help but fear thats a bit of a gamble.

Hopefully it pays off as I see tomorrow as a pivotal moment in our season.

Totally agree...

At the end of last season I was thinking Craigan was just about finished, but since his return from injury this season he has really shown how importrant he is to the squad and has been in a rich vein of form.

I think McLean's best bet is pushing Coach - although he could maybe play in the centre with Craggs, moth Reynolds to left back, Hammell to left wing and drop a midfielder that isn't performing.

Loads of opportunitiy for him to fight his way into the team.

Couldnt agree more. Hammell for LW!! Theres no need for a wing back with our formation.

"Listen", said McLean, with quiet emphasis. "I can tackle anything – including that pitch. I can't afford to show fear. It doesn't matter if it's Troon beach or Fir Park, I'll take my bucket and spade out with me if I have to, but it's not going to be an issue."

Fucking brilliant quote!!

That is all.

"Brian will start at right-back tomorrow, there is no kidology about that," admitted Mark McGhee.

Hmm, that rings a bell...

"But he's (Murphy) the first name on the team sheet for Thursday I can assure you. There is no question; no kidology required with the French, Murphy will be playing without doubt."

Now admittedly Murphy did play, but I don't think "coming on as a sub for Fat Boab before he sold any more goals" was quite what anyone thought he meant by "first name on the team sheet", so that was still kidology if you ask me :D