• Steven McGarry
    • Stephen Hughes
    • John Sutton
    • David Clarkson
    • Jim O'Brien
    • Cillian Sheridan
    • Jamie Murphy
    • Null Vote

Hughes for me. Head and shoulders above the rest. It's amazing what a driving force he is to this team when he's fit and I really worry about our ability to keep him for next season. Getting Klimpl would be great but I believe top priority has to be trying to keep hold of Stephen Hughes.

Sorry to dredge this up but I just noticed it. We only had one shot on target in this game, and it wasn't from Hughes, so what was he the 'driving force' behind? Keeping the ball for 10/15 minutes doesn't matter a jot when you're 2-0 down. If we score two in the first five minutes on saturday, St Mirren can pass it amongst themselves in the centre circle for the rest of the afternoon as far as I'm concerned.

Frazzle

Sorry to dredge this up but I just noticed it. We only had one shot on target in this game, and it wasn't from Hughes, so what was he the 'driving force' behind? Keeping the ball for 10/15 minutes doesn't matter a jot when you're 2-0 down. If we score two in the first five minutes on saturday, St Mirren can pass it amongst themselves in the centre circle for the rest of the afternoon as far as I'm concerned.

Frazzle

I'm not referring to the Rangers game specifically (although I did think he was our best player) but since he has been back to fitness (coinciding with our good run) the impact he has on games is plain to see. Whenever we pick up the ball anywhere on the pitch, Hughes is the one making himself available and trying to find the pass to kick off a move. When we don't have the ball, his work rate is tremendous and I've lost count of the number of times this season he's come steaming back from an advanced position to put in an important tackle before looking to start another move. He works a lot harder than you would expect for a "creative" player.

Okay, so he's not got the sheer power of Klimpl but Hughes always chases men down and is always looking to receive the ball and kick something off. What more do you want from a box-to-box player?