Jim Paterson

something else

And Faddy and Lambert and McAllister and if only we'd kept Ian St John , Dixie Deans , Tam Boyd, Andy Walker , Choccy .....

Deal wae it and stop moaning, our best players will always move on to bigger and better things.

If missing out on the top 6 on the last day before the split is the worse youve encountered as a 'Well fan you've had no a bad time of it

Oh and brace yourself for next season

And Faddy and Lambert and McAllister and if only we'd kept Ian St John , Dixie Deans , Tam Boyd, Andy Walker , Choccy .....

Deal wae it and stop moaning, our best players will always move on to bigger and better things.

If missing out on the top 6 on the last day before the split is the worse youve encountered as a 'Well fan you've had no a bad time of it

Oh and brace yourself for next season

Got to agree , i feel we need a midfielder who can influence a game (easy said :D ) IMO Hughes is to lightweight and dosnt influence a game as the myth suggests,

Clarky couldnt trap a beach ball.

But having said that i would stiil like to see them next year playing for the Dosssers.

Lets face it unless we uncover a gem somewhere we need to get on with it and play with what we can afford and can keep.

Mon The Dossers :D:rolleyes::O:D:O

Personally I think the name he's lookin for is Chrissy Porter.

How much did we sell him for? Bet we'd have made more keeping him and gettin into the top six..

I was thinking about that this afternoon. If the figures quoted are accurate i.e 400k fee for Porter and top 6 is worth 300k, then from a business perspective selling was the right option.

Jim Paterosn would probably have went backwards this season in a similar manner to the rest of them.

Roscoe we didn't have a cat in hells chance of keeping.

As for Porter though, we basically kicked him out the door in order to get £300-£400k. If we still had him, the chances are we would still be in with a shout of Europe and possibly have a Scottish Cup semi-final to look forward to.

Of course I understand the economics of football but the day we sold Porter, our season effectively finished.

Jim Paterson never even made the squad for the Plymouth game yesterday (in which they got pumped at home to Donny) so they may be willing to let him go for nothing! Wouldnt be the worst signing in the world and would produce a good left handside for us!

Ross McCormack is a bigger loss to us than we all first thought! Excellent player but as Lobey says, we had bugger all chance of keeping him.

Jim Paterosn would probably have went backwards this season in a similar manner to the rest of them.

Roscoe we didn't have a cat in hells chance of keeping.

As for Porter though, we basically kicked him out the door in order to get £300-£400k. If we still had him, the chances are we would still be in with a shout of Europe and possibly have a Scottish Cup semi-final to look forward to.

Of course I understand the economics of football but the day we sold Porter, our season effectively finished.

Porter played all through our terrible run over November/December (it was Clarkson and Craigan who we really missed since we immediately picked up again and went on a long unbeaten run as soon as they came back).

This idea that Porter was some kind of one man solution to all our woes is a lot of nonsense.

Is he a better player than Sutton - yes. Was our season 'over' as soon as we sold him - no.

I'd have Jim Patterson back in a heartbeat as Stevie Hammell just don't cut the mustard going forward. Either that or Simon Lappin. We had half a season of patty and half a season of lappy last year and I think both players were crucial to our 3rd place finish. Hammell is better than both defensively, but going forward his inability to hit the byline and overlap when attacking means we should be in the market for a better attacking option, either as an out and out left mid, or an attacking left back.

Porter played all through our terrible run over November/December (it was Clarkson and Craigan who we really missed since we immediately picked up again and went on a long unbeaten run as soon as they came back).

This idea that Porter was some kind of one man solution to all our woes is a lot of nonsense.

Is he a better player than Sutton - yes. Was our season 'over' as soon as we sold him - no.

Prior to Christmas, we were gash and were being soundly beaten. However, how many games have we drew post-Christmas that we should have won? Porter would have been the difference.

We were not scoring because Porter was missing at least three sitters a game. What makes you think a striker that scored 9 goals in 22 games (three of them against the worst defence in the league) would have made a difference against Aberdeen, Dundee Utd or Hearts, where one who has played 28 and score 8 wouldn't?

The reason we are not looking down on teams in mainly because our strikers prior to Christmas, headed and the worst culprit by a country mile, Porter were not worth their wages.

Patersons not getting a game. Neither is Lappin. I'd love them both back. My biggest worry is we need a minimum of 3 or 4 quality additions to the squad over the summer even if Hughes and Klimpl STAY. Which I don't think either will.

I'm not a betting man, but what are the chances of us starting next season with a smaller and weaker squad than we did this one? Pretty high I would've thought. We have no money and McGhees dealings in the transfer market are an extremely mixed bag so far.

I'm away to put my head in the oven.

In order we need:

• a striker who will score us 10 to 15 a season
  • a centre half
  • a goalkeeper
  • a digging midfielder (esp if Klimpl goes)
  • a creative midfielder (esp if Hughes goes)

Paterson and Lappin would be nice to haves in my view but there are need to haves that are more pressing and given our budget these two will get shelved if there is any intention to bring them.

Not sure I agree Tweed, not saying any or all what you suggest aren't useful or not needed but we have a keeper coming in, we got 3 fit centre halves which is one more than we started with this season yes if Hughes and Klimpl go then there replacements certainly jump to the top of the queue. Lasley can come back in but certainly don't fancy him and McGarry as first choice next season.

However we sorely lack a natural left sided midfielder. I like Fitzpatrick but good work horse though he is I don't see him quite being the answer. Paterson or Lappin might be. I'd prefer Lappin I fear the size of Jim's waistline after being so inactive this season.

But either or could be very decent additions.

I'd have Jim Patterson back in a heartbeat as Stevie Hammell just don't cut the mustard going forward. Either that or Simon Lappin. We had half a season of patty and half a season of lappy last year and I think both players were crucial to our 3rd place finish. Hammell is better than both defensively, but going forward his inability to hit the byline and overlap when attacking means we should be in the market for a better attacking option, either as an out and out left mid, or an attacking left back.

Lappin was an unused sub today for Norwich in their defeat at Ipswich....

That is an absolute shambles of a comment. We were a bawhair away. we've missed Porter nae doubt but to say the day he left it was done and dusted is daft.

Unless you were joking.

Lappin eyes new Canaries contract

_45642796_lappin.jpg Lappin was training with the youth team under Glenn Roeder

Norwich City defender Simon Lappin wants a new contract after forcing his way back in the first team less than three months before his deal expires. He has started the Canaries' last two games, his first appearances in almost 18 months after being forced to train with the youth team under Glenn Roeder.

"I was banging my head against the wall, I didn't know what to do," the Scot, 26, told BBC Radio Norfolk.

"I've let the manager know I want to be here for the long term."

The former St Mirren left-back has played in the centre of Norwich's midfield in their last two games covering for the suspended Darel Russell.

His current deal is due to expire at the end of the season and he is ready to put a frustrating period behind him.

"I've always believed in my own ability and it was just about getting the opportunity to show it," he said.

After being signed by Peter Grant in January 2007, Lappin scored three goals in 33 games for Norwich and played in Roeder's first three matches as Norwich manager.

He lost his place after a 3-0 defeat at Plymouth in November 2007 and spent the end of last season on loan at Motherwell. Article 7th April 2009

The most important factor with all of the players mentioned is money and the fact they will be getting paid a good deal more away from Motherwell.

Paterson wouldn't have gone all the way to Plymouth unless they were making it worth his while and Lappin will be on a healthy wage at Norwich.

There's little point in wondering what might have been with Porter as he might have been extremely disgruntled if he felt we had reneged on an agreement to let him further his career should a reasonable offer come in. Also, if we're going to offer contracts on that basis to attract players we wouldn't otherwise, then players would stay well clear if we were seen to be not upholding our end of the bargain.

It was obvious from before Christmas that Ross McCormack was going to leave for money. I admit I felt he should have stayed another year to improve parts of his game but I'll now freely admit I was wrong in that respect.

We had a weaker side this season than the previous and have probably ended up where our general play has deserved. I've seen a lot worse over the years and you could probably argue this season has been slightly above average when compared to the last ten or twenty years. Unfortunately I think our side is likely to be weakened further next season and we could be right in amongst it, although the chances are the competition is also likely to be weakened ( or players are going to have accept wages reducing across the board).