Sponsors Night

B.K.

I know there are a few posters on here, who like myself, sponsor one of the players.

Part of the contract agreement that we entered into for this season was the presentation of the strip from that player on the last weekend of the season at a "Player of the Season & Sponsors Evening, Presentation Dinner", similar to the highly successful night last year in the Shawlands Hotel (great night, poor venue) that was organised by Davie T and Jamie G. One of the other "honours" as they called it, was being able to vote for the shortlist for Player of the year and Young Player of the year

Now, with only 4 weeks to go till the players disappear for their holidays, I was curious to know if anybody has heard anything about this event i.e. date, venue, shortlist nominations etc. As by this time last year we were being hassled to commit to an allocation of tickets for the event !!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Keith,

Letters are being prepared on this at the moment!

'Flow"

Aye good one !!!!

You didn't say it was a "sorry to disappoint" letter.

Typical, led up the garden path yet again, one step forward, two steps back.

Signed

Angry from Motherwell

well for me there is good news, and unclear news that's most probably bad news.

Good news that a letter from MFC has finally arrived at my address, so as a named contact for a group sponsoring the club they can contact me, but can't manage it for two season tickets :rolleyes:

Unclear news, that although sponsors will receive the strips, because 'the boys' will be using the kit right up until 23rd May a formal presentation is unfeasible this end of season.

as such the strips can be collected from the club or they can be held at the club prior to a more formal presentation in the early part of next season.

Now I'm more of a say it as it is sort of person, and although thankful that the club has issued the information (wonder what prompted them to?) my first thought is that its loaded with spin which I thought as a club we were moving away from under L.D's guidance

I wonder if the club would like to 'say it as it is'

Here it is as you would like it:

"Dear Brazilian,

I know we agreed (and signed a contract) to charge you £400 for a seat at a dinner, a vote in the PotY and a strip presented to you by your chosen player, but yer no gettin' it. Cheers for the cash. More of the same next year please.

It's been a pleasure to have shafted you.

Yours sincerely,

Murrawell FC.

It sure as hell will have a knock on effect for next season, if the parties I have spoken to are anything to go by.

Fact, the reason given for the price of player sponsorship increasing by about 25% (almost £400) from the previous season was purely and simply attributed at the cost of hosting the Official P O T Y & Sponsors night.

Lets face it, nobody does it just to get a strip !

As Brazilian says, maybe the good news is that all sponsors will be credited back the additional £100 because the contract we signed with the club at the start of the season has been broken :rolleyes:

After what happened to me last year and they way I was treated I chose not to give my money to the club for another sponsorship, I think I was proved right on this occasion even after the club telling me that nothing would happen like it did before.

Someone at the club should get one hell of an arse kicking for this........and don't go blaming the one's thats already left the club for this mess like they always do.

Now, is Leeann Dempster going to come on here and post the reason for this mess or do they only come on and post the good stuff.

I feel really sorry for the people that has spent their own cash on this only to be treated like crap.

Motherwell Football Club has a contract with each and everyone of the shirt sponsors and I wonder how they will wriggle out of this one, if this was me I just wouldn't accept an apology and £100 refund. I would want answers but I feel it would be like :rolleyes::D :D

Good luck to the sponsors on trying to get something sorted and quickly

Shug

Morning All,

Regarding the sponsors night. The truth of the matter is that we have tried but we can't get a date and a venue that can work before the end of the season. Essentially last year the team had additional match strips to use and rotate throughout the season therefore it was relatively straightforward for the team here at FP to secure authentic strips/merchandise to present before the end of the season.

The issue that has arisen around the sponsors presentation is that the team need all their kit right up until the 23rd May (because of the Canterbury change over we have not been replacing Bukta kit for the first team) for the Killie game and thereafter they quite literally all leave for their summer breaks. This leaves us no scope to have the presentation on the 24th May which was our tentative date. After discussion I took the decision that in order to have a proper presentation and a decent night that we should do it early into the new season. We are not trying to ‘rip’ anyone off, nor deliver on our promises, this year for all of the reasons I have mentioned above we just can’t get a date that works.

It has been compounded somewhat also as ideally we would have wanted to have an end of season dinner also. We had to wait on the split fixtures being issued so we could plan a date whereby the players were available. By the time we were in a position to secure a venue and date for this we were unable to pull it together in a way that would have delivered a quality of night and real value for money. Again, my thoughts were that we'd have this event early into the new season and / or merge the two.

I had written to everyone personally to explain the situation and asked for their personal views on whether they wanted the strips now or were content to wait. I have had a response from 3 people to date, all of whom understand and are would prefer to wait.

No smoke and mirrors on our part as there will be a presentation only slightly later.

Happy to talk to anyone that wants to on the above.

Leeann

Leeann,

Im not a Well supporter, but I am a football fan and like the guys on here I know flannel when I see it. Your explanation screams that organisation isnt a strong point at the club. As a shirt sponsor with my team (and for the past 4 seasons) I can tell you that no one pays nearly £400 for simply getting a players jersey.

Part of the package is always the presentation. Feel free to take on board any of this feedback as you wish but this is how Falkirk manage their sponsorship evening.

I paid £411 this season including VAT for the Away jersey for a first team player. For that money I recieve:

* Name in matchday programme

* Preferential hospitality deals (these are emailed once a quarter)

* 2 tickets to the Sponsors evening at the 4 star Inchrya Grange Hotel in Grangemouth which includes 4 course meal with wine.

* Photograph with the sponsored player supplied by a photograper.

* The evening is billed as the "Falkirk FC Oscars" and is a black tie event. Companies and individual sponsors sit with their sponsored player at the table. The POTY/YPOTY trophies are handed out on the same night aswell as the strip and boot presentations.

The evening is always the same night each year at the hotel, the last Wednesday before the seasons ends. I dont see how the split should effect a long term booking especially as these sort of nights dont have to be a saturday.

Re strips, again surely thats just a lack of planning or are you telling me Motherwell only have 1 set of strips? From my own knowledge I know FFC have at least 4 sets of first team strips Home & Away. Id be surprised if most teams dont.

Corporate sponsorship for all teams is due to go down with the state of the economy, this sort of PR does nothing to help that.

The thing that sticks out like a sore thumb for me is that we have our last game on a set date and the players are immediately off the next day on their break. Now don't get me wrong I don't begrudge them a break after a hard season but why are they not contractually obliged to be available for end of season events?

If the club wants a POTY/end of year dance/presentation dinner kind of event it should surely be easy enough to plan it around the first weekend after the definate last date of the season and host it then, instead of worrying about post split fixtures and organising it in haste and under considerably more organisational pressures.

By all means when the season ends let them take it easy, but can putting off their foreign holidays be that much of a hardship?

Morning All,

Regarding the sponsors night. The truth of the matter is that we have tried but we can't get a date and a venue that can work before the end of the season.

this and an apology for breaking the sponsorship contract by not delivering the POTY end of season dinner then a discussion on the alternative or compensation (reduced rates next season etc) would have sufficed

Whats follows might not be smoke and mirrors to you but it sure as hell seems to be to me.

Essentially last year the team had additional match strips to use and rotate throughout the season therefore it was relatively straightforward for the team here at FP to secure authentic strips/merchandise to present before the end of the season.

The issue that has arisen around the sponsors presentation is that the team need all their kit right up until the 23rd May (because of the Canterbury change over we have not been replacing Bukta kit for the first team) for the Killie game and thereafter they quite literally all leave for their summer breaks.

I'm most dissapointed that running a football club you think this is an acceptable yarn.

It is essentially what happens at the end of every season, is it not? that players go on holiday and that they do indeed need strips for the last game.

It also seems a tad insensitive that the fact we are getting a new strip is being used as leverage since that is also becoming an annual event.

This leaves us no scope to have the presentation on the 24th May which was our tentative date. After discussion I took the decision that in order to have a proper presentation and a decent night that we should do it early into the new season. We are not trying to 'rip' anyone off, nor deliver on our promises, this year for all of the reasons I have mentioned above we just can't get a date that works.

It has been compounded somewhat also as ideally we would have wanted to have an end of season dinner also. We had to wait on the split fixtures being issued so we could plan a date whereby the players were available. By the time we were in a position to secure a venue and date for this we were unable to pull it together in a way that would have delivered a quality of night and real value for money.

So despite the fact that everyone knew the season was to end on the weekend of the 23/24th and that the club had taken in sponsorship money based in part, on hosting the presentation evening, no venue booking had been made and the club expected to arrange such and event in less than 4-5weeks ?

Again, my thoughts were that we'd have this event early into the new season and / or merge the two.

acceptable thoughts for you to have,and quite possibly you would have received majority backing for this plan, if you had discussed this with the sponsors prior to dissapointing them and then feeding them a bunch of excuses/reasons that are all based on the fact that football business got in the way, but let's not forget sponsors entered into a contract at the start of the season for this to happen at the end of the season and the excuses given just don't stack up when the business is running a football club.

I had written to everyone personally to explain the situation and asked for their personal views on whether they wanted the strips now or were content to wait. I have had a response from 3 people to date, all of whom understand and are would prefer to wait.

No smoke and mirrors on our part as there will be a presentation only slightly later.

Happy to talk to anyone that wants to on the above.

Leeann

Asking for views after the decision has been made on not hosting the event is what pains the most, I collated money on behalf of a group of fans, they all contributed based on a promise by me to deliver at the end of the season and I had looked forward to delivering on my promise based on the contract I entered in to with the club.

add 1 person to that list who does not understand and will probably collect

Iain Manders.

PS who is going to present all the strips of players that leave at the end of this season ;)

I think I'll suggest that the MST sponsor our old pal Kevin McBride next season then!

I don't think you can dress it up any other way - we were made a promise, and charged a premium rate for it, and that promise has been broken.

Frazzle

I think I'll suggest that the MST sponsor our old pal Kevin McBride next season then!

I don't think you can dress it up any other way - we were made a promise, and charged a premium rate for it, and that promise has been broken.

Frazzle

There will be hell to pay if hes still in a navy shirt next season!!! ;)

Sorry Leeann, but I think you are totally missing the point here.

For me personally, it not about the money, its also not even about the strip, its all about integrity.

After a hard sell by the club at last years event, I agreed to sponsor a player. I was promised the days of getting the strip sent out to you after the last game, stuffed into jiffy bag, was a thing of the past, that was the "old way".

You were going Glitz and Glamour, yes it would increase by a considerable amount, but trust us it will be worth it.

In the space of 2 seasons the outlay has gone from £185 upto £395, but remember "trust us it will be worth it".

So 12 months on what am I getting for my initial outlay -;

Space in the programme, yes, although it was wrong for the first few games

Web site inclusion, no, check out the player sponsor page for yourself, it's been like that since last july.

Nominations for POTY, no, unless your quick.

Invite to the dinner, no, cancelled

Presented the strip by the player, no, see above.

Add to the fact that we had to sign a formal agreement with you on all of the above and it may go part way to explaining why "we are not very happy".

I agree with Iain on this one and you mention that 3 people are prepared to wait till next season, what if you have sponsored one of the players who is leaving, I know of 4 sponsors WHO WILL NOT BE RENEWING.

Please just accept you misread the fans feelings and got this one totally wrong. I dont accept your reasons (as mentioned by Iain) as we have known the weekend of the last game for 10 months now and 11 other clubs can fit in an end of season event, what makes us so different ?

Sorry Leeann, but I think you are totally missing the point here.

For me personally, it not about the money, its also not even about the strip, its all about integrity.

After a hard sell by the club at last years event, I agreed to sponsor a player. I was promised the days of getting the strip sent out to you after the last game, stuffed into jiffy bag, was a thing of the past, that was the "old way".

You were going Glitz and Glamour, yes it would increase by a considerable amount, but trust us it will be worth it.

In the space of 2 seasons the outlay has gone from £185 upto £395, but remember "trust us it will be worth it".

So 12 months on what am I getting for my initial outlay -;

Space in the programme, yes, although it was wrong for the first few games

Web site inclusion, no, check out the player sponsor page for yourself, it's been like that since last july.

Nominations for POTY, no, unless your quick.

Invite to the dinner, no, cancelled

Presented the strip by the player, no, see above.

Add to the fact that we had to sign a formal agreement with you on all of the above and it may go part way to explaining why "we are not very happy".

I agree with Iain on this one and you mention that 3 people are prepared to wait till next season, what if you have sponsored one of the players who is leaving, I know of 4 sponsors WHO WILL NOT BE RENEWING.

Please just accept you misread the fans feelings and got this one totally wrong. I dont accept your reasons (as mentioned by Iain) as we have known the weekend of the last game for 10 months now and 11 other clubs can fit in an end of season event, what makes us so different ?

I could understand businesses that have sponsored players accepting this, but it must be a punch in the guts to the average fan who has forked out a fair bit of money.

Seems to me that this should have been sorted out long ago - even with provisional dates pending fixture clarification.

The explanation given is lightweight, and highlights a lack of organisation by the club (lack of shirts, lack of time to organise etc etc)

Ceske Bairn's post is quite damning to be honest simply because that is an impartial post from a neutral.

Having been put off by the cost of sponsoring this year, its difficult not to find B.K.'s rationale compelling.

I think this issue may well have cost you a fair bit of the good will the club have deservedly built up from all the hard it has clearly put in over the last few months.

Having signed a formal agreement with the sponsors, what would the club have done if the sponsor had not honoured this?