Threadbare Squad

Haggischomper

Not really understanding the outrage over McGhee leaving us with a threadbare squad. Personally, I'm glad about that. The new guy can bring in the guys he wants then and is not stuck with contracts for players he doesn't fancy/can't play in his system. The new guy is gonna have one hand tied behind his back financially anyway so why tie a 2nd hand behind his back?

I think this works out pretty well for us. 'Mon the 'Well.

The starting 11 we could put together from the players we have under contract right at this very second would get us by for a few games in the event of an injury crisis. No more. There is no depth whatsoever. No creativity in midfield whatsoever. If Clarky or Lasley got injured even for one game we would be fucked. It's been pretty clear that McGhee was intending to leave at the end of the season by the lack of contract extentions offered to McLean, Clarkson, Quinn and Reynolds. ie, "I don't give a fuck 'cos I won't be here..." attitude. Even with Hughes, Buzz, Boab and Klimpl we needed additions. We now need to replace them, PLUS a few more to even stand still. An arguement could also be made moves to tie Klimpl down asap were not made so McGhee could take him with him wherever he went. Not what you expect from your manager.

Not really understanding the outrage over McGhee leaving us with a threadbare squad. Personally, I'm glad about that. The new guy can bring in the guys he wants then and is not stuck with contracts for players he doesn't fancy/can't play in his system. The new guy is gonna have one hand tied behind his back financially anyway so why tie a 2nd hand behind his back?

I think this works out pretty well for us. 'Mon the 'Well.

Well done Mark, you can give Haggis his log in details back. :nod:

It's a fair point you make but a new guy will have to bring in quite a few players in a short space of time to get anything resembling a squad together.

As it stands (counting players who've played more than 5 first team games - for anybody)

GK

Fraser (although there is talk on another thread that pre-contracts might not be binding)

DF

Quinn

Hammell

Craigan

Reynolds

MF

Lasley

Fitzpatrick

O'Brien

McGarry

DL Smith

FW

Clarkson

Sutton

Murphy

are the players we have under contract. By my reckoning we have enough for a 4-4-2 with a couple of subs. Even then a midfield of O'Brien Fitzpatrick Lasley McGarry doesn't fill me glee. I appreciate the new guy will have a blank canvas, but he'll also have a lot of work on his hands...

It's a fair point you make but a new guy will have to bring in quite a few players in a short space of time to get anything resembling a squad together.

Yep - but the players HE wants. McGhee would have been in teh same situation anyway - albeit maybe a week or two further forward.

I appreciate the new guy will have a blank canvas, but he'll also have a lot of work on his hands...

My first thoughts would have been that no good having a blank canvas when you cant afford the paint but I'm in a very pro-JB mood at present and he made this statement on the offishal site.........

“However, we will be pro-active in preparing for all eventualities to ensure that the best interests of Motherwell Football Club are upheld.”

and I hope that means he has a plan re management and the squad!!

On the basis he suprised us all when MMG joined and made a few £££££ available for salaries I would hope he is ready to surprise us again.

Yep - but the players HE wants. McGhee would have been in teh same situation anyway - albeit maybe a week or two further forward.

Aye, you're right in a sense. No use McGhee leaving us 16 players if the new guy didn't like 5 or 6 of them, only giving him 10 he really wanted. But if the new guy doesn't like 5 or 6 of the ones we have at the moment, he'll be enrolling us in a 5 a side league...

Bit concerned but not much. Plenty time to get players in yet, hopefully everyone else is fit and they got a couple of european games to impress the new manager in. Bit of luck more than just two but with europe being something of a bonus rather than hard fought for reward if we not in good shape for that I'll live with it. But long time yet until both new league campaign and the transfer deadline.

I'll get worries if the squad looks like it does say 5 or 6 weeks from now.