Who Will Follow Mcghee To Aberdeen ?

EastStandWellFan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was talking to Steph Hughes only a few minutes ago and from him he doesn't know whats happening next season but it don't look like like he sees himself at Aberdeen.

Said every chance he could still be at Fir Park and didn't say no so to see you next season!

Where was he? Starka?

Hope he stays next season hes our most creative player by a country mile.

McGhees got some nerve, I'm not bitter that hes left I just don't like the idea of him sniffing about our club.

Its not looking good for us is it :lol:

Do you believe London Irish that you Mark McGhee showed the club maximum commitment and respect in the short time he was here ?

Yes, that is the case I am making. He turned down Hearts last summer, putting Motherwell first rather than his own personal financial advantage. He told the SFA he would only accept the Scotland job with preconditions about not leaving Well mid-season, hence protecting Motherwell's interests rather than maximising his own prospects of getting the job. And he has now decided he wants to move on after 2 years. There is no disrespect there whatsoever.

And on that subject, I'd be grateful if you could show me some respect by not making jibes like "you Mark McGhee", just because I happen to have a different view on these matters to you.

PS He was also still under contract when he decided him and Leech were leaving at the end of the season.

Yes, I am aware of that. His decision to sign a new contract last summer when he knew he was a very marketable managerial commodity protected Motherwell's interests, and the club are now £200,000 better off for that. Who knows, it may well have got close to paying for his entire contract for the past two years. Not bad that, given the success he brought the club. Regardless of this, this money can now be beneficially used to take the club forward. Admirable conduct as far as I am concerned.

But you are wrong there. MM DID stay for his own personal financial advantage. Where do you think the cash for the new pitch went last year?

I think the differences of opinion in this thread highlight that, as ever, there are two sides to every story. None of us know what really happens in these moves because we aren't privy to what goes on in the background. We only have public utterances and rumours to go on. London Irish makes a fair point that McGhee was honest enough to say Motherwell weren't the height of his ambitions and that he would like to move on to a bigger stage at some point. Then again, I can sympathise with those who feel he seemed at times too pre-occupied with his next job, which came across as a lack of respect for his then employers. Motherwell brought him in from the wilderness, following two years of unemployment, and he could have been more tactful in his public comments. I'm sure all 'Well fans knew he would leave, probably sooner rather than later, and Aberdeen has an emotional pull for McGhee he was never going to turn down. How honourable or otherwise he behaved may become clearer in the days and weeks ahead, but he's gone and the most important thing now is for Motherwell to get a good replacement.

But you are wrong there. MM DID stay for his own personal financial advantage. Where do you think the cash for the new pitch went last year?

Well at least the £250k compensation can cover the cost f the new pitch, freeing up some cash to give to luc nijholt :D for players

Its not as black and white as you make out Irish.

Yes MM could have had more money by moving to Hearts, but we all know it was a risk to take that job - as someone said on NSC this week: Hearts are the Newcastle of Scotland. Their owner is mental.

Nobody knows how successful or otherwise McGhee would have been had he moved a year ago.

In many ways McGhee probably played safe - Motherwell in Europe, a significant increase in salary, and a squad he felt still had room for improvement.

During his time at Fir Park McGhee worked hard to do his best for the club - unfortunately he also rubbed a sizable section of the the fans up the wrong way with his antics in the press etc. Perhaps the fans did misconstrue what he was actually saying, but its not the first time this has happened.

McGhee was good for Motherwell, but we were just as good for him! Aberdeen may have a place in his heart - but its another tough gig. I would not be surprised to see him move on again quickly if he gets an offer from England.

You've talked me around London Irish.

Considering he was unemployed when we took him on, the fact that he decided not to leave after a year (while at Stansted about to board a plane for further talks with Hearts) - only staying due to increased , possibly , double wages is to be applauded.

In the year since he applied for 3 other jobs

Im starting the collection for a statue.

He gets genuine thanks for that first season though , possibly never to be repeated.