Bathgate V Motherwell 11

well_army

Said a couple of times on Radio Scotland towards the end of the week that the time were having to be bussed up the road from Gatwick and would only arrive back home in the early hours of this morning, so I wouldn't expect any of the squad from Thursday to be involved.

It'll most likely be a the U19 squad that remains with some of younger group below that and perhaps an odd trialist or two. Remember the 19's have to prepare for the new season too and its not uncommon for them to face junior sides or teams from the East of Scotland league etc as part of the their preparation.

I will get a note of it.

I thought (Dario) Quinn when he came on at centre half looked murder to be honest. Meechan looked very good in the 1st half. The young lad certainly know how to knock the ball about a bit!

Darren Smith looked ok but really should have stood out a bit more.

The big guy at centre half (Number 4 called Hunter) for Bathgate looked decent. Not quite SPL standard but capable of holding his own at a lower league team.

Poor game if I'm honest. Bathgate missed 3 sitters.

I think Darren Smith and Archdeacon (both played full game) are way ahead of the rest and need first team action to aid development.

Didn't notice any trialists or either the new signings.

Motherwell XI

1. GK - had a wee fumble with a shot, but not tested. bit small.

2. right back, Mark, decent distribution and done well. played full game

3. ross mckinnon played first half only, at left back - didn't encourage me.

4. looked overweight, made a mess of a few things and doesn't attack headers or clean up.

5. won everthing in the air at the back and looked pretty good. Don't know who he was, but think he was getting called 'guppy'? played full game

6. first half only. Can't remember much apart from a few runs and one good cross

7. Darren Smith - plenty energy, pinged a few good crosses, linked up well, good game

8. Meechan - first half only, done well enough but wanted a bit more since he had been near first team last year

9. Tall skinny striker, effort was there, but nothing special up the sleeve

10. Attacking midfielder, decent height and mobility, only played first half but thought he comfortable linking up play etc

11. Archdeacon - best on show in the first half, faded in the second half, but decent control and confidence. Interested in seeing him play inn the spl

Subs:

couple of boys who came into the midfield 2nd half looked like they are just out the 17s, so were bit smaller and lightweight, but all done ok.

The defender dario quinn has some good height for central defence (not as good as no. 5)

Our team (taken from Bathgate Thistle site),

Thomson, McPhee, McKinnon, Fallon, Gupwell, Gallacher, D. Smith, Meechan, G. Smith, McAuley, Archdeacon. Subs: Innes, Pollock, Martin, Halsman, Quinn, Pollock.

It sounds like a team of Under 17s/Under 19s with Dazza and Mark Archdeacon.

Surely the end of the road for Dazza if he is playing in this shite!! We also now have two right wingers in the squad which, with pace as his only ability is his only position now.

I think we should do all we can to get him a decent wee club somewhere and free up a wage.

I like him all the same but sentimentality needs to move aside.

I think Darren would benefit from a season long loan to first division or even english league.

I hardly think he is breaking the bank in terms of wages.

His development has been hampered by playing 10mins every few games. He needs 20-30 games with a full 90mins before he can make an honest impact here.

Anyway, since Optimus Prime got the team sheet...can someone find out more about "Gupwell" please?

He's one of our under 19's from last year mate.

Aye, Craig Gupwell. I used to play boys club footy with his big brother Andy.

Know he was in the U19s last year, dunno if he's any good though.

EDIT: Just saw the above reply. Both Gupwells were naturally nicknamed "Guppy" and Craig was definitely a centre half. Reckon it would be too much of a coincidence not to be Craig Gupwell that played yesterday!