161 members have voted

1. 1. Where will it all end up

• Top Six
    • Bottom Six
    • Relegation
    • 3rd place
    • League title or champions league place
    • First cup win since 91

I think the element of surprise is a great point, and one which I think will see us top six and very competitive in the cups.

There is nothing between ourselves and the likes of Hibs, Aberdeen and United so as far as I'm concerned we can not just get in the top six, but potentially be close to another Europa League spot.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
I think in the first year Gannon really has his work cut out, top six and/or a good cup run is the best we can hope for realistically.

Theres a good core to build on but its gonna take time!

Unless we get in a few more (decent) players, I can't see it being anything other than a bottom 6 scrap. I'd settle for 7th place or at least comfortably out of any relegation battle.

I'm absolutely desperate to get back to Hampden!

To be fair, as long as we play some decent stuff and comfortably avoid relegation that'll do me this season.

Anything else a bonus. Transition year and all that.

Consolidation is the key this year. I'm hopeful Gannon will lay the foundation with a few new players while bringing on some of the youngsters. If we finish 7th or 8th, but with a good base for the following season, I will be happy with that.

I just hope the supporters give the man a chance to build and don't demand instant success.

Bottom 6 in a rebuilding first season. Top six finish and a decent cup run next year!

IMO 3rd, 4th, and 5th won't happen next year. 6th place I would be delighted with. I can see us finishing 7th/8th with a good run in one of the cups. 2010/11 is when we might see the BIG benefits of Gannon.

It all depends on who we sign during the next month before the season kicks off, but I honestly think we are in for a bit of a bottom six scrap in season 09/10 and I'd take survival from relegation right now. During this summer we have lost our manager - and let's not kid ourselves here, McGhee was a good manager for us - and several key players like Clarkson, Quinn, Smith, Hughes & Klimpl to add to the loss of McCormack last summer and Chris Porter in January. You can't lose players like that and not expect to struggle so Mr Gannon really does have a task on his hands to keep us in the SPL, although the early signs appear to be promising as our new boss certainly talks a good game so here's hoping he can sort out our threadbare squad.

We need to be realistic, a top six finish and especially a European placed finish is highly unlikely as there are three, possibly four other sides who are far better equipped than ourselves to do that. On the other hand though, there are also a good few sides who are no better, if not worse off than we are and I expect to see Kilmarnock, St.Mirren and Accies struggle this season aswell. A great deal hinges on the transfer activity between now and the transfer window at the end of August.

I'd be 'happy' with a similar season to last, bottom six but no real relegation anxiety.

I honestly don't see how any of the provincial clubs are going to break into the Top Six this season as most of them have more or less been strip mined of their playing staffs (Us, Hamilton, Falkirk, Kilmarnock etc) are newly promoted (St Johnstone) or weren't very good in the first place (St. Mirren).

The Top 6 will almost certainly be the 6 city clubs and it will be left to the others to scrap it out in the bottom six.

I also have my doubts about the ability of lower league players from England to cut it in the SPL. Since it looks like we might have a team full of them next season that could be a problem.

We'll see what happens but right now I'd rather have lower expectations and hopefully be surprised than expect too much and be disappointed but I can see the bottom six being a really tough, dog eat dog mini division with hardly anything between the teams.

Some excellent points from back in July.