Ex-players

Steve Diggle

Apologies for the negative to this thread.

I met Brian Heron's son on holiday recently and he's apparently had a major stroke and is now in a nursing home.

He was a bit before my time, so maybe others can fill in what type of player he was etc..

I met Brian Heron's son on holiday recently and he's apparently had a major stroke and is now in a nursing home.

He was a bit before my time, so maybe others can fill in what type of player he was etc..

I only seen him the once or twice - my old man used to rave about him though. Like lightning on the wing apparently.

Sad news - hope that life's as good for him as it can be.

There's a bit on the Oxford United website - good wee article (unfortunately fails to mention the well tho) http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10342~1329085,00.html

Here's the info from neil's ex players page http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/pla.../brianheron.htm

This is really sad news, hope he's at least comfortable. He is one of my first 'favourite' Well players I can remember as a a nipper along with Billy Campbell , outside left and outside right or wingers as they are called now. Some info on him at the link below.

http://www.motherwellnet.co.uk/pa/h/heron.html

I remember him well, the proverbial flying machine, his free kicks were a bit special too as he was able to bend the ball with the outside of his foot. I'm sure he and Bobby Watson joined the well in a swap deal with Peter MCcLoy going to Rangers. Bobby played a number of years for us of course but Brian was only at firpark two or three seasons before he moved on. Great player I wish him well.

Ian Kennedy Works in Asda Hamilton as did Willie Pettigrew (Think he is gone now, he was a youth coach for the well)

Jim Griffin went on to become a lecturer at Motherwell College but heard he joined the tic as a Scout.

I once worked besides Joe Warks wife and he used to visit, she used to tell me stories about him, for instance once he got Player of the year and his prize was something like a new Living room carpet. Times have changed