Humphrey & Jennings

itp1984

Unfortunately due to work commitments i had to work last night :lol: so didnt manage to get along to Airdrie, what was the verdict on the 2 new boys on their debut's?

Did any of them particularly stand out and have they given any indication what to expect of them for he season ahead?

Thoughts please....

jennings looked unfit and had a bad start get giving the ball away but he got better as the game went on. humphreys made a few good runs a few decent crosses but also didn't look match sharp and pussied out most challenges. they were both subbed after an hour

unfair to pass judgement really until they are match fit

Jennings looks as though he'll be our midfield dynamo. Good work rate and strong in the tackle. In saying that I think he definitely needs this pre season as he looks unfit and overweight.

Humphrey is like grease lightning but may be a bit lightweight for the SPL. Had a couple of good chances last night and didn't really strike the ball too well on both. I think he'll cause problems over the top with his pace and with a few games and a bit of experience under his belt may turn out to be a good find also.

Jennings looks as though he'll be our midfield dynamo. Good work rate and strong in the tackle. In saying that I think he definitely needs this pre season as he looks unfit and overweight.

Is this the same guy you told pettywilligrew you thought was me?

Ya cheeky wee chuffer! :lol:

Jennings looked like he was carrying a bit of extra weight, but he put in a good shift and looked pretty gutted with his performance when he came off. He isn't scared of a tackle and was quite happy to do the simple stuff.

Humphrey looks pretty quick and he showed some wee flashes of skill, but there were a few occasions where he could have went in with a bit more commitment in the tackle, but it's understanable at this point in the season and also due to the fact we were humping them anyway. His final ball wasn't up to much, he missed the target by a fair bit with most of his efforts on goal, and only put in the one decent cross.

Early days though, there's certainly something there.

I was very impressed with Jennings. Contrary to the above I thought his passing was good, I thought he read the game well and he looked very comfortable on the ball. He broke up the play so often. I think it's not a coincidence that we began to falter a little when he went off. I think he might end up one of these guys who divides opinion (like Neil Lennon at Celtic - tho he was shite :lol:) But in comparison to Lasley for example I think on what I seen last night I'd have Jennings in every time, especially as he isn't at 100% yet. I can't remember which goal it was- but it was in teh first half. He won a tackle in the midfield and then played a really nice diagonal crossfield ball on the ground for the possibly Paul Slane to get onto, which ended up leading to the goal.

I really like this idea of Gannon's - having the two guys sitting.

As for Humphrey I thought "Kevin McBride". Hopefully I'm way off mark with this B-) He could cross the ball right enough, tho to me he looked a bit lacking not just in fitness but confidence . I also want to see him working harder once he is fit.

I thought Jennings was too eager at first, but came into it after about 10 minutes. Chased everything and never gave up. He was also the calming influence. When we received a throw in it was he who was telling the lads to slow it down, when a slack pass came through again it was him who told whoever to get his head up.

Humphrey's started of very well, some lovely touches, and when he lost the ball fought to get it back. He seemed to suffer though as more and more went down the left wing!

Unfair to comment on players after one match but I'll give you my initial impressions.

Humphreys. Sort of like O'Brien, fast, runs with the ball but no delivery. Was also poor in front of goal, had two excellent chances to score and should have put away at least one of them. Reasonable in the air and won a few headers. Was involved early on but faded out of the game possibly due to lower fitness level than the other players. To be honest I don't think he made much impact and the game sort of went on around him. You can see some potential there but could be the sort of player that causes a lot of frustration.

Jennings. Had a bit of a nightmare early on, hardly looked a player at all, slow, gave away possession, hardly any awareness of what was going on around him. Later he settled down a bit and looked like a slightly more restrained Maros Klimpl, not the greatest technician in the world but someone that will put in a shift and act as a ball winner. Fair to say I don't think he'll shirk many tackles. Again, his fitness was lagging behind most of the other players. Overall the better of the two but neither player had a huge influence on the proceedings, it was all about our young players last night.

Unfair to comment on players after one match but I'll give you my initial impressions.

Humphreys. Sort of like O'Brien, fast, runs with the ball but no delivery. Was also poor in front of goal, had two excellent chances to score and should have put away at least one of them. Reasonable in the air and won a few headers. Was involved early on but faded out of the game possibly due to lower fitness level than the other players. To be honest I don't think he made much impact and the game sort of went on around him. You can see some potential there but could be the sort of player that causes a lot of frustration.

Jennings. Had a bit of a nightmare early on, hardly looked a player at all, slow, gave away possession, hardly any awareness of what was going on around him. Later he settled down a bit and looked like a slightly more restrained Maros Klimpl, not the greatest technician in the world but someone that will put in a shift and act as a ball winner. Fair to say I don't think he'll shirk many tackles. Again, his fitness was lagging behind most of the other players. Overall the better of the two but neither player had a huge influence on the proceedings, it was all about our young players last night.

can't disagree with you ya beezer, both looked like they could do a turn for us but as you rightly say the youngsters were all outstanding and deserve all the plaudit - long may it continue.

Humphrey, we knew was lightening quick and boy is he!! :O Heard from shrews fans that he has had to work on crossing and tricks to get round players. I would go along with that although his 'beating a man' skill looked not bad and crossing ok.

Jennings passing was good and just looked a bit fat

It sounds like Jennings was having his usual high octane game, except for the weight thing.

He was arguably the fittest player at Tranmere in the last couple of seasons, and he tackled as hard in the 90th minute as he would in the 1st minute.

I'm not sure when your boys were back in training, but Jenno was only due back with Tranmere as he signed for Motherwell. so he was more than likely well behind the rest of your squad in terms of fitness, especially match fitness. You have to remember some of your players had played three competitive games. Jenno hasn't played competitively since the first week of May.

As I said on here when he signed, he's more of a workhorse than flair player, and when fit I doubt many will question his commitment. I'd have a small wager he picks up a red card for you's next season because he doesn't hold back.

Looking at the brief highlights from the other thread it looked like he got forward in the first half. It looked like it was him hitting the post for the 2nd(?) goal.

If he could add goals to his drive he'll be a fans favourite. He's got it in him, but he often failed to pull the trigger for us.

Good luck in Romania, hopefully it will be on TV.

BTW - Why didn't BBC Alba at least show either Well's or Falkirks games? It can't be that expensive.

Echo what everyone else said, Jennings just didn't look 100%. Hump looks like a total Jessie but he put in one cross in particular that was unreal.

More to come I hope!

Guest 'Flow

Don't know if it has been mentioned, if it has I apologise, but did anyone see/notice a rather striking resemblance between Jennings and the late Jamie Dolan?

Even ran like him....

Hopefully he's as good!

'Flow

both stood out in first 45 as we won 6 v 0, thy were both tiredand pu in a good shift, i wa very impressed. addin to the young lads all played well. Reyonlds back to his preferred position. didnt need to go forward as slane dd the running.

Would have liked to see the Polish lad in the second half. Fraser was very poor. 4th game, still the look of fear in him when the ball comes to him. made 1 gd save tho