Jennings Interview In Sunday Mail

numpty

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/sco...78057-21565621/

Steve Jennings: Motherwell Players Bonded In Grief After O'Donnell Tragedy

Aug 2 2009 Scott Mcdermott

STEVE JENNINGS didn't know Phil O'Donnell. While playing at Tranmere Rovers he heard about the Motherwell skipper's tragic death but never thought he would witness the full effect of it.

That was before Jim Gannon handed him a ticket to Lanarkshire and a shot at European football.

The Scouser was only too happy to accept the invitation and can't wait for the SPL season to start.

But after being embroiled in a tragedy right on his doorstep he's no stranger to the grief that will never leave Fir Park after O'Donnell's sudden passing 18 months ago.

Jennings lived just five minutes from where young Everton fan Rhys Jones was shot dead as he cycled home from football training in August 2007.

The midfielder, a fellow Toffee, played his part in helping the Croxteth community unite - and sees similarities in the Steelemen's dressing-room.

Several first-team stars who witnessed O'Donnell's death are still at Fir Park and vividly remember what their inspirational captain brought to the club.

Motherwell suffered another tragedy last week when O'Donnell's former team-mate Paul McGrillen passed away at the age of just 37.

And Jennings believes that will only strengthen the bond he has noticed at Fir Park since his summer move.

As he prepared for Thursday's Europa League return with Steaua Bucharest, the 24-year-old said: "I've noticed a real team spirit about our dressing-room and maybe that has come about after what happened to Phil.

"I didn't know the man but I've already asked a few of the boys about him.

"When young Rhys was murdered it was a shock to the system. It affected the whole community.

"We all took a stance on it as crime in that area had got well out of hand. It changes you as a person and, even at a young age, it affected me.

"Any problems I had went on hold and I realised how lucky I was. God only knows how Rhys' family operate on a day-to-day basis.

"Something as tragic as Rhys' murder can bring people together. It comes as such a shock and it's no surprise the Motherwell boys are so close-knit after what happened to Phil.

"It's important to stick together and the lads here have done that."

Jennings has also been blown away by the Fir Park youngsters who could take the SPL by storm this season.

Shaun Hutchinson, Ross Forbes, Paul Slane and Jamie Murphy all look the part after destroying Albanian side Flamurtari in the last round of the Europa League.

And Jennings said: "I've been so impressed by the kids. Everyone back home is asking me what it's like here and that's the first thing I tell them.

"We knocked in eight against the Albanians and not one scorer was over 20. That's unbelievable. When I signed I didn't even know we were in the Europa League so it was a bonus.

"As a kid you want to play in the Premiership and don't think of Europe. But when it hits you it's exciting."

Growing up on Merseyside, Jennings saw many dramatic European games.

None more so than the painful night he watched city rivals Liverpool stage a miraculous comeback against AC Milan in the 2005 Champions League Final.

And Jennings - who blushes when the names of high-profile pals Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher crop up - is thrilled to finally savour Euro action himself. Well look set to bow out of Europe after a 3-0 defeat by Steaua in the first leg but the Englishman has enjoyed every minute of his adventure.

He said: "I don't mention it too often but I watched when Liverpool came back against AC Milan.

"My phone was turned off for three or four days after that - I couldn't take the abuse I was going to get from Reds fans.

"If you had said to me this time last year that I would be playing in Europe, I'd have said, 'No, not a chance.' "But when you move clubs things pop up from nowhere.

"The lads have already given me stick for calling the likes of Jamie Carragher a mate. So I don't want to say too much.

"But I've seen these guys achieve so much and they are a credit to our city.

"I look up to people like Jamie and Steven. They will be genuinely pleased I'm getting a taste of Europe now.

"They didn't realise Motherwell were in Europe either until I told them but wished me the best of luck."

In jenno you have got a cracker player,Great engine and very neat on the ball,Jenno is one of the players that dosent get noticed a lot doing all the dirty work but when hes not playing you see gaps everywere.

The most important thing about Jenno is Confidence and this is were you the "Well" supporters come into play,Get on his back like the Tranmere fans done a few years back and he dosent look half the player,Back him the way the Tranmere fans have done over the last two seasons and with his confidence soaring he has been twice the player,Truly brillant at times.

So lads let him settle in,He wants to do well for you as you want him too.

Good luck for the season and stay behind Jenno and you will have a star of the future there.

Jenno is one of the players that dosent get noticed a lot doing all the dirty work but when hes not playing you see gaps everywere.

Ah right, well that'll be him number one target of the boo boys come the end of the season then. A lot of folk in the East Stand obviously don't actually know much about football - the midfielders who do the "dirty work" in 'Well teams are also usually berated by wankers in the stand.

Ah right, well that'll be him number one target of the boo boys come the end of the season then. A lot of folk in the East Stand obviously don't actually know much about football - the midfielders who do the "dirty work" in 'Well teams are also usually berated by wankers in the stand.
Oh right mate,Well just stand up for him mate because a confident Jenno is a asset to any team.

funny to see him saying gerrard and carragher are a credit to liverpool. carrager throws coins, scraps with fans and states in his autobiography he was going to get his thug mates to attack lucas neill. gerrard is legally allowed to pre-emptively whack anyone who he thinks might breath on him.

stay classy liverpool!