Steaua's Story - Bbc

Captain_Jack

the facts are pretty much spot on in that article but it really only touches the surface of the realities of Romanian football and it's not so much 'the Steaua story' but rather a quick glimpse at 20+ years of Romanian football, summed up in too few words.

I think every article in foreign press I have read about Becali must have mentioned the fact that he banned a Queen song from the pre-match music playlist, but it's all very exagerrated. It was something along the lines of:

Becali press conference:

Becali: (...) and I am against homosexuals.

Journalist: But do you know that at your home games during the warmup there is a song by Queen played on the stadium and their lead singer was a homosexual?

Becali: Really? I'll ban it then.

So yes, the man is a lunatic. Unfortunately the media eats up all his statements and puts them on front pages because it guarrantees ratings. I saw you guys were complaining about how Celtic and Rangers get most of the coverage. It's the same in Romania. Steaua and Dinamo have most of the fans and might get half the pages in a sports newspaper, with the other half being divided between the rest of the teams and the other sports. So when an ignorrant fool like Becali seizes the country's best supported club, you can imagine what kind of coverage he will get.

Concerning foreign referees, they have been used on and off in Romanian league/cup games, mostlly for the crucial matches and on request from one club or another since the late 90's. This is a delicate issue though, as on the one hand we know that clubs will try and put pressure on Romanian refs or try to outright bribe them, but on the other hand bringing in foreign refs will block the progress of young Romanian referees. It's delicate :lol:

Only Arges bribed a referee in the last 20 years. At least this was official! FC Arges was relegated at the end of this season anyway.

If you dont have proofs dont make stupid accusations. About the big clubs, yes, this is the same for Steaua and Dinamo, but especially because the all big newspapers from Romania are in Bucharest,even they have local editions in all Romania. But in comparation with Scotland, we have every game from Liga 1 at TV, they paid 96 mil of euros for the TV rights. We also have every team in Europe, even Vaslui, Timisoara, Urziceni or other teams. The Motherwell fans are right to be unhappy for not having the 1st match at TV.

About Becali, yeah, he is non-conformist and speaking a lot of crap, he thinks he is Marlon Brando of Romania, but he has a good soul. After the 2005 floods, he funded with $4 million the rebuilding of about 200 houses destroyed by the overflow of the Siret river. He also paid million of euros for bulding new monasteries and rooms for sleep for the Romanian monks from the Athos Mountain in Greece...

Anyway, its Becali's fault he is talking too much with the press. He likes to pretend he is a big star, now being in the European Parliament too. And Bucharest is full of paparazzi and journalists who write everything for the sensational...

Here are our 2 biggest sport newspapers:

http://www.gsp.ro/ (Gazeta Sporturilor, the equivalent of "Gazzetta dello Sport")

http://www.prosport.ro/