European Referees

Jay

I think Scottish referees are fucking shite just as much as the next man, but is it just me who's actually beginning to think they're not quite as shite as some of the dross that seems to be refereeing in Europe!?

Yep! Anders Frisk has to have been the worst of them all. Charles Aguis, the Maltese bloke who did the first leg in Dortmund, had a tremendous game and perhaps was the exception to the rule. But Frisk, who was run close by this clown tonight, has no rival thus far........IMHO of course!

the ones to night were shit , but the one for celtic vs dinamo was pretty good

My point is though that we give Scottish referees a hard time and act as though they are below the standard of refereeing in the rest of Europe which, based on our European exploits this season, is utter nonsense.

The referee in Albania was utter garbage, the referee in Romania was poor, and the referee tonight was an absolute joke. So 50% of the referees we've had in our European run have been shite!

At least in the SPL, shoulder challenging isn't a foul!

The day that Scottish football adopts the same sort of refereeing as in Europe (ie. the slightest touch results in a free kick) is the day that I give up club football altogether.

I think Scottish referees are fucking shite just as much as the next man, but is it just me who's actually beginning to think they're not quite as shite as some of the dross that seems to be refereeing in Europe!?

I've been saying that for years every time somebody moans about Scottish referees... have never really seen much evidence that ours are any better or worse than anywhere else's, on average.

At least in the SPL, shoulder challenging isn't a foul!

The day that Scottish football adopts the same sort of refereeing as in Europe (ie. the slightest touch results in a free kick) is the day that I give up club football altogether.

Guys, don't want to stirr up things but if you talk to non-british fans you'd be seeing quite the opposite opinions when it comes to tackles and those "shoulder challenges". :lol:

In theory referees are a neutral arbiters, but in real life it's easier said than done because it's far less risky to upset a small team than a big one. The clubs with money and power can make life very uncomfortable for officials due to the exposure they ( the clubs ) receive. So it's natural that officials will be cautious when the big boys are involved, and whilst I'm not suggesting at all they deliberately cheat, there must be a subconscious pressure despite all the talk of objective refereeing. That's why the Old Firm will always get the rub green in Scotland, same as Manchester United and Liverpool and England, Real Madrid and Barca in Spain. Referees are only human and it's inevitable big crowds and big stars will affect their judgement. There's much less to lose by giving a tight call against Motherwell, whose anger at a referee's performance will create few headlines in comparison to some other clubs.

Guys, don't want to stirr up things but if you talk to non-british fans you'd be seeing quite the opposite opinions when it comes to tackles and those "shoulder challenges". :lol:

By opposite opinions do you mean that non-British fans view "shoulder challenges" as fouls?

That doesn't surprise me, if that's what you're saying, as they must be used to seeing free-kicks being given for nothing tackles. It's obvious from watching how European players hit the ground as soon as they're touched, and how fouls are given in Europe that would never be given in the SPL, that letting a player know he's "in a game" is a big no-no outwith UK football.

Someone should tell the rest of Europe that football is supposed to be a contact sport!

Spanish Refs like that tube tonight are what spoil watching La Liga for me. Amazing league with fantastic footballers but the refs blow for every little thing and only manage to kill the flow of the game. Players know what to do to get a foul or decision to go their way and the refs happily oblige. Maybe we should just ban Spanish referees.

In theory referees are a neutral arbiters, but in real life it's easier said than done because it's far less risky to upset a small team than a big one. The clubs with money and power can make life very uncomfortable for officials due to the exposure they ( the clubs ) receive. So it's natural that officials will be cautious when the big boys are involved, and whilst I'm not suggesting at all they deliberately cheat, there must be a subconscious pressure despite all the talk of objective refereeing. That's why the Old Firm will always get the rub green in Scotland, same as Manchester United and Liverpool and England, Real Madrid and Barca in Spain. Referees are only human and it's inevitable big crowds and big stars will affect their judgement. There's much less to lose by giving a tight call against Motherwell, whose anger at a referee's performance will create few headlines in comparison to some other clubs.

Sadly never a truer word typed!!

Guys, don't want to stirr up things but if you talk to non-british fans you'd be seeing quite the opposite opinions when it comes to tackles and those "shoulder challenges". :doh:

:O I'm non-British :P , football is a physical game, shoulder contact should not be considered a foul the continental game is killing the physical side of the game by all the falling over players do with the slightest contact.

It'll be more enjoyable watching crown green bowls in the future if these softies get their way

Guys as much as we played well, to suggest the referee was the cause of us going out tonight is nonsense - the better team went through. THe ref never helped but credit to the opposition!

Referee's are always going to make mistakes, they are only human after all, but they HAVE to get the major decisions that effect the score line of the tie correct.

It's obvious the referee and the linesmen didn't manage that tonight and not only did he get one decision wrong that effected the score of the match, he got several wrong.

I'm not going to sit here and say that if it wasn't for tonights referee we'd be in the next round of the Europe League, but we certainly wouldn't have lost the home leg and we might even have won it.

That ref was fucking garbage.

Referee's are always going to make mistakes, they are only human after all, but they HAVE to get the major decisions that effect the score line of the tie correct.

It's obvious the referee and the linesmen didn't manage that tonight and not only did he get one decision wrong that effected the score of the match, he got several wrong.

I'm not going to sit here and say that if it wasn't for tonights referee we'd be in the next round of the Europe League, but we certainly wouldn't have lost the home leg and we might even have won it.

That ref was fucking garbage.

Sums it up :nod: . Getting the big calls right is the basic standard, and those who were at the match, those who watched online, and the radio commentators are largely in agreement that the ref didn't do that.

The ref was spanish tonight? I canny watch spanish football on tv cause it is so stop start

he was Spanish and without experience, not one of their big ones. he was just weak or had a bad day. Romania lost 2 qualifications because of the referees, one in 2002 because of Kim Milton Nielsen and one because of Urs Meier. Also at Boro-Steaua, Steaua had clear penalty in the 91th minute but the referee was a coward... you say about your hand, but our player didnt have 3 meters and the defender from Boro had 5-6 meters in 2006!

so this thing with the referees IS RELATIVE! after years and years that we had the same feeling the referees have something with us, now its ok...

Guys as much as we played well, to suggest the referee was the cause of us going out tonight is nonsense - the better team went through. THe ref never helped but credit to the opposition!

I don't think anyone is disputing that over the two legs the better team went through. I would however question the refs decisions on crucial calls e.g. blatant hand ball in first half that deserved straight red to Steua player and pen to M'well, goal 3 to Steua Hammel tripped off the ball by Steua player no free kick given. FFS i'm sat here half pissed and know the ref was rank.

I agree with Jay our refs might be bad but that spanish see you next tuesday fair beats our refs in the shite department. :nod:

Spanish Refs like that tube tonight are what spoil watching La Liga for me. Amazing league with fantastic footballers but the refs blow for every little thing and only manage to kill the flow of the game. Players know what to do to get a foul or decision to go their way and the refs happily oblige. Maybe we should just ban Spanish referees.

I agree. Spanish refs are bad.