European Referees

Jay

He was very poor with the big decisions tonight in particular. We we due at least one penalty and Hamell was clearly fouled in the build up to Steaua's third goal. The linesman on the main stand side was an utter joke too, got sod all right all night.

I think Scottish referees are fucking shite just as much as the next man, but is it just me who's actually beginning to think they're not quite as shite as some of the dross that seems to be refereeing in Europe!?

They are all gay. They invented gay. They put the gay into Fit-gay-ba.

Guys as much as we played well, to suggest the referee was the cause of us going out tonight is nonsense - the better team went through. THe ref never helped but credit to the opposition!

Agreed, the better team did go through. However I did have hope for a wee win last night and the ref totally killed that.

Thought I saw him getting on the Steaua bus last night with a hooker on each arm.

In theory referees are a neutral arbiters, but in real life it's easier said than done because it's far less risky to upset a small team than a big one. The clubs with money and power can make life very uncomfortable for officials due to the exposure they ( the clubs ) receive. So it's natural that officials will be cautious when the big boys are involved, and whilst I'm not suggesting at all they deliberately cheat, there must be a subconscious pressure despite all the talk of objective refereeing. That's why the Old Firm will always get the rub green in Scotland, same as Manchester United and Liverpool and England, Real Madrid and Barca in Spain. Referees are only human and it's inevitable big crowds and big stars will affect their judgement. There's much less to lose by giving a tight call against Motherwell, whose anger at a referee's performance will create few headlines in comparison to some other clubs.

so they cheat to avoid getting a hard time ?

The sooner they are able to utilise tv technology the better IMHO.

Often said it. We have some refs who when you take the Motherwell tinted specs are who are on the whole pretty good. I watched a German highlights programme a couple of times last year when in Berlin and every game was blighted by an example of refereeing muppetry. And the Spaniards have previous - I give you Scotland v Italy. I thought Mike Dean in the Newcastle game today was top drawer and I've never been aware of him being in Europe.

The problem with that is though, even after tv review there will be decisions which are 50/50 and basically come down to the ref.

Agree in principle though.

I know what you are saying about 50/50 decisions but some of the mistakes that are made are as blatant as hell. It willk root out the absolute shockers. I forgive referees and linesmans' mistakes if they are close calls because it is not easy but some mistakes are unforgiveable. Get the TV technology in especially Hawkeye for goal-line decisions.

When do you stop it for Hawkeye though? Say a team "clears" it off the line does the referee stop it even though the ball is still in play. What if he does stop it but a breakaway 2 on 1 up the other end and it turns out it wasn't a goal. That will be not solving any problems. What if they decide to look over it in the next stoppage of play - which turns out to be a goal for the defending team?

Hawkeye should not be brought in. Goal Line technology that doesn't require a stoppage should though, until that happens then it should be left the way it is (or have a touchline ref at each end - something UEFA crapped out off in the Europa League?)

And the Spaniards have previous - I give you Scotland v Italy.

Christ, I built up the courage to watch the highlights of that game for the first time about a month or two ago and I still can't believe the "foul" he gave against Hutton.

At the time in Hampden it never looked like a free kick, but fucking hell!

When do you stop it for Hawkeye though? Say a team "clears" it off the line does the referee stop it even though the ball is still in play. What if he does stop it but a breakaway 2 on 1 up the other end and it turns out it wasn't a goal.

Well, taking a cue from other sports, one way would be to give either team the chance to challenge the decision the next time the ball goes dead (perhaps allow one or two challenges per team per half).

In the rare scenario where the next time the ball goes dead is when the other team scores, and it turns out the original 'clearance' should have been a goal, then the first goal is given and tough luck on the other team. (But if the correct decision had been given in the first place, they wouldn't have been able to run straight up the park and score anyway. One time in a thousand they might just have done it straight from the subsequent kick off, but this way they still get their opportunity to do that.)

If it turns out the original 'clearance' really wasn't a goal anyway, then the team that ran up the park and scored gets to keep their goal, and everything's hunky dory.

Well, taking a cue from other sports, one way would be to give either team the chance to challenge the decision the next time the ball goes dead (perhaps allow one or two challenges per team per half).

In the rare scenario where the next time the ball goes dead is when the other team scores, and it turns out the original 'clearance' should have been a goal, then the first goal is given and tough luck on the other team. (But if the correct decision had been given in the first place, they wouldn't have been able to run straight up the park and score anyway. One time in a thousand they might just have done it straight from the subsequent kick off, but this way they still get their opportunity to do that.)

If it turns out the original 'clearance' really wasn't a goal anyway, then the team that ran up the park and scored gets to keep their goal, and everything's hunky dory.

I was ready to concede defeat there but thats a great argument :lol: . If that fails what about the ice hockey flashing light sensory thing whatever it is called :lol:

I was ready to concede defeat there but thats a great argument :thumbup: . If that fails what about the ice hockey flashing light sensory thing whatever it is called :lol:

If we get something like that in, that will be the only time we'll have goal line technology! It's bad enough you're lucky to get an hour of football a match never mind adding all this pishy stop starting shit.

Challenges won't work either. Unlike other sports football is supposed to be a fast pace, none stop sport... unfortunately it's not anymore.