Dear Mr Gannon......

Well73

Dear Mr Gannon, Jimbo, Jimmy boy may I just say a huge THANK YOU. I know we haven't done anything YET but it's been a while for a Well fan like me to be so positive about transfers made and to have somebody in charge who does what he says he will do. Not sure what the plan is for Jan. transfer window but I'm sure you've got it covered.

I look forward to seeing our new players and cant wait to see what you get out of the young guys at the club who haven't had the chance to shine yet. You have my backing 100% sir and wish you and your staff all the best.

Mon the WELL ! ! :rolleyes:

IN JG WE TRUST

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i completly echo this Well73, and i'm sure i speak for the huge majority of well fans !

when gannon became manager, i think he brought with him a positive feeling around fir park which has been absorbed byy well fans.

all his signings seem to be positive prospects, and he seems to be in the know when it comes to player transfers, players for charlton and everton back this up.

also, the way he talks about the team and to the media make well fans adore him after every interview !

there has been some very positive posts from stockport fans on here over the past few weeks which reinforces his good reputation.

on the other hand, while we heap praise on Jim, alot of wellfans respect must go to John Boyle ?

lets be honest, who had actually heard of Gannon before he came to motherwell ?

we were linked with the likes of aidy bootroyd etc ... Gannon was an out sider, but came through Boyles vigerous interviews as the right man for the job by Mr Boyle who obviously had the interests of the club at heart and i think that deserves MAJOUR credit in the direction of John Boyle :rolleyes:

this has all the ingredients to be a great and exciting season ahead for motherwell :P

I AM PROUND TO BE A WELL FAN NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS !!

'MON THE 'WELL !!!

IN JIM GANNON AND BOYLE WE TRUST :cheers:

Absolutely on both acounts and credit where it's due for Boyle. Here's a good fan article on that very subject, from the STV site. Don't know if it's been posted elsewhere.
He said that 'Well is 'punching above its weight'. I hate hearing that phrase. This is football - if we have talented players that play to the best of their ability we will win games.

"Punching above your weight" suggests that you are performing at a higher than your talent should allow.

Totally agree. Although not everything John Boyle has done has been well received, most of his dealings have been good for Motherwell FC. So far Jim Gannon has done very well on all fronts, but its still early days and I'm sure the man himself would guard against building things up too much.

Thus far its all encouraging though.

"Punching above your weight" suggests that you are performing at a higher than your talent should allow.

I'm not sure that it does tbh. I always think that the size of a club's home crowd is a decent indicator of the level of success it can expect. It's not an absolute measure but is close enough as, loosely, the more paying customers you have the bigger your income and the more money you have then theoretically you can invest more in a better quality team (doesn't always work as Torre Andre Flo went out of his way to prove).

In this respect we're probably a bottom 6 team given that we usually have around 5k punters - much less than at least 5 other SPL teams and around a tenth of each of the OF. By rights we should be nowhere near European qualification.

So when you say "performing at a higher than your talent should allow", you could easily replace the word talent with budget and I think the statement becomes a fair one.

i've enjoyed the last few months but it'd be daft to suggest everything is 100% perfect. in all three league games we've seen changes of formation that have resulted in massive changes in the level of performance. imo we've been far better than the other 3 teams we've played and if we had played as well we can for the full 90 in all minutes we'd have took maximum.

i'm also concerned that the short term nature of all our signings except humphrey plus other players going out of contract at the end of the season will leave us up shit creek again next summer.

grading the signings: coke and hateley have been great, ruddy was fantastic in bucharest but has looked a bit shaky since but has done well, humphrey looks like he might have something and could be on a jim o'brien style gradual improvement however jennings hasn't shown anything positive and lukas' performance on saturday matched the reviews from plymouth and huddersfield.

two years ago we were all raving about mcghee and the football we were playing and look how that ended up.

i've enjoyed the last few months but it'd be daft to suggest everything is 100% perfect. in all three league games we've seen changes of formation that have resulted in massive changes in the level of performance. imo we've been far better than the other 3 teams we've played and if we had played as well we can for the full 90 in all minutes we'd have took maximum.

i'm also concerned that the short term nature of all our signings except humphrey plus other players going out of contract at the end of the season will leave us up shit creek again next summer.

grading the signings: coke and hateley have been great, ruddy was fantastic in bucharest but has looked a bit shaky since but has done well, humphrey looks like he might have something and could be on a jim o'brien style gradual improvement however jennings hasn't shown anything positive and lukas' performance on saturday matched the reviews from plymouth and huddersfield.

two years ago we were all raving about mcghee and the football we were playing and look how that ended up.

Can you show me how u managed to get your feet on the ground?

:P

:P

Bit more caution. Yes we've signed a lot of players, but that's because some of our big players have left- freeing up wages and transfer fees. I've not seen anything from our signings that would suggest we should go OTT with the praise, however Giles Coke looks to have been a brilliant find.

we were hopeless in the first 45 minutes at perth then when we changed to 4-4-2 we made loads of chances. unfortunately we were wide open at the back because craigan was off even although he had been solid bar a couple of bad passes.

against killie everything was going great then we went to the 4-5-1 and let them back in the game for 15 minutes and were very lucky that kyle missed the header.

on saturday he dropped sutton who had probably his best game in a motherwell shirt the week before to play the polish striker who was very poor. moving hateley out of midfield was also a strange choice. the double sub also pretty much ended the game for us as we ended up with forbes completely out on his feet for the last 20 minutes and jennings not contributing much.

you want a manager to set out a team which gets the best out of his resources. for me both away games were there to be won as st johnstone aren't all that great and this is the worst aberdeen team in years and the fact that we didn't win them has been due to all the tinkering. apart from the old firm there isn't very much in this league to worry about and gannon should be concerned with sending out his strongest side and giving them 90 minutes to win the game. as much as he has done very well he definitely didn't do that at perth or aberdeen. he's a young manager and it's a learning curve for him, things are going well but they aren't perfect.

It's very early days yet but it's a case of so far, so good from Jim Gannon. His attitude and approach, both on and off the park is very refreshing and it's been great to see youngsters like Forbes, Slane & Hutchinson break into the first team and hold down places at the expense of more experienced players such as Craigan, Lasley, McGarry etc...We're unbeaten in the SPL and we're now into September! When did that last happen?

However, I don't buy into this 'we've got a better manager than McGhee' line just yet. It's far too early to say that. JG might well turn out to be a better Motherwell manager than his predecessor, but let's not get carried away here. We finished 3rd in the SPL in McGhee's first season here and played some of the best football in the league. Like him or not, our former manager is a tough act to follow and I'm not going to compare him to McGhee until this season is over. The jury is still out on his signings, although Giles Coke does appear to be the pick of the bunch from what we've seen thus far. I'm still concerned about the defence though, as we still lack that commanding, no nonsense center half and Craigan isn't getting any younger, or better for that matter.

I don't think we'll get into the top six, I just feel that given that our squad is relatively small and also made up of a number of 'rookies' that we will at times struggle and go through some bad patches and that might well see us being sucked right into the relegation dogfight. On the flipside of that though, from what I've seen so far I think we have enough about us to get ourselves out of trouble and have good patches that might see us in contention to finish in the top half of the table, but more importantly, keep ourselves clear of the foot and pick up enough points to ensure that we safely avoid the drop come May.

So, in Jim Gannon we trust? I think so...

to be fair i don't think we've any chance of us getting relegated. accies look good to do a gretna this year so it should be pressure off all season long.

top six could be a possibility as well. hibs and united are bit ahead of the rest and hearts should be even though they could implode. i don't see killie, st johnstone, aberdeen or st mirren being any better than us so why not aim for it?

to be fair i don't think we've any chance of us getting relegated. accies look good to do a gretna this year so it should be pressure off all season long.

top six could be a possibility as well. hibs and united are bit ahead of the rest and hearts should be even though they could implode. i don't see killie, st johnstone, aberdeen or st mirren being any better than us so why not aim for it?

+1

Top 6 finish and a cup semi-final would do for me

I think we are in for a cracking season - and in Jim Gannon we have cause for optimism. I say this in full expectancy that over the season, we will put in some poor/mediocre performances and drop points at Falkirk, St Mirren and Killie. But this young squad of pace and talent can beat the Old Firm. I anticipate more highs than lows between now and May.

As shite as aberdeen are, we're not entitled to win everymatch, never mind up at pittodrie. If you said in April that we were gonna replace clarkson with a polish reserve player that nobody had heard of and Hughes n Klimpl were to be replaced by a guy called Giles Coke and Mark Hateley's son, people would of just laughed.

Its a testament to Jim Gannon that already he has the team playing his style of football, and can also spot a player within our price range i.e. nothing. He also knows that we're nowhere near the finished article and has previously said that this season will be used to develope the players we have.

Anyone who expects us to beat St Johnstone and Aberdeen away from home because their shite and we're no isn't really considering that at present we have a young team who will inevitably be inconsistent. These people should also prepare there best shocked look when i say this...we might actually lose a fair amount of games anaw!! To let a team back into the game for the final 15 minutes when we're three nil up is the last thing on my mind. Its no Real Madrid here...win your home games, take whatever you can get away and i imagine we'll consolidate 7th place/push for a top six. Realistically that has to be our benchmark for the season considering our losses in personal and the relative unknown qualities of our new additions.

Mon Jim Gannon!! (and John Boyle)

Fully behind Gannon and Boyle. Very early days but there are SO MANY positives from the new pitch, to the new players and management, and so on that I reckon we will have a good steady season. Sure, the OF might take a few goals off us this season and give us the odd sore defeat BUT I am confident we are gonna give one or two teams a proper hiding in the SPL this season.

As shite as aberdeen are, we're not entitled to win everymatch, never mind up at pittodrie. If you said in April that we were gonna replace clarkson with a polish reserve player that nobody had heard of and Hughes n Klimpl were to be replaced by a guy called Giles Coke and Mark Hateley's son, people would of just laughed.

Its a testament to Jim Gannon that already he has the team playing his style of football, and can also spot a player within our price range i.e. nothing. He also knows that we're nowhere near the finished article and has previously said that this season will be used to develope the players we have.

Anyone who expects us to beat St Johnstone and Aberdeen away from home because their shite and we're no isn't really considering that at present we have a young team who will inevitably be inconsistent. These people should also prepare there best shocked look when i say this...we might actually lose a fair amount of games anaw!! To let a team back into the game for the final 15 minutes when we're three nil up is the last thing on my mind. Its no Real Madrid here...win your home games, take whatever you can get away and i imagine we'll consolidate 7th place/push for a top six. Realistically that has to be our benchmark for the season considering our losses in personal and the relative unknown qualities of our new additions.

Mon Jim Gannon!! (and John Boyle)

I agree 100% with that. It's no often that happens. ;)

Anyone who expects us to beat St Johnstone and Aberdeen away from home because their shite and we're no isn't really considering that at present we have a young team who will inevitably be inconsistent. These people should also prepare there best shocked look when i say this...we might actually lose a fair amount of games anaw!! To let a team back into the game for the final 15 minutes when we're three nil up is the last thing on my mind.

it wasn't the last 15 against killie, it was from about 50 minutes til hutchison scored. we went from being totally dominant to under pressure and our goal was against the run of play.

when you see us play at perth and we're totally rotten for 45 minutes and then 100 times better when we change the shape you have to ask why we didn't start like that. against aberdeen we had a weird team selection and subs and although we played well for the first 70 we never looked scoring. it's early days though and hopefully we'll start to see a bit more consistency soon.

it wasn't the last 15 against killie, it was from about 50 minutes til hutchison scored. we went from being totally dominant to under pressure and our goal was against the run of play.

So 18 minutes then...

Although Kilmarnock had a decent spell they didn't really cause any problems for Ruddy.

EDIT: As for St J's yeah we were pish for 45 minutes, but surely the fact that Gannon changed it is something very refreshing compared to many previous managers. Even under McGhee, we were always a plan A team. With Gannon it seems we have a plan a, b, c and a d if things are not working.

So 18 minutes then...

Although Kilmarnock had a decent spell they didn't really cause any problems for Ruddy.

EDIT: As for St J's yeah we were pish for 45 minutes, but surely the fact that Gannon changed it is something very refreshing compared to many previous managers. Even under McGhee, we were always a plan A team. With Gannon it seems we have a plan a, b, c and a d if things are not working.

.......and we WON! ;)