Mark Reynolds

jonnymfc

Hivnae posted for a while but you guys are getting ridiculous.

Mark is a young talented guy who has given everything for his team and his country over a short period of time through a very hard transition involving 3 managers and differing tactics and positions. you're expectations of his weekly contributions are outrageous and yet he has imo exceeded these. He will eventually leave, thanks in part to you and your attitude and to his ambition and i wish him well for his contribution, and yet I wish we could stop the criticism and ask him to be our next Joe Wark and reward him appropriately.

I know this won't happen but just because you were partly right with Magoo does not give you the right to malign a genuine young talented man who will always give his all for MFC.

Please think again about your comments and there effect.

Mate I don't think anybody has said that he is a bad player, more so the fact that he's perhaps not reached the dizzy heights that people have expected of him! Nobody's said he's shite, and he doesn't get ANYWHERE near the amount of abuse that certain players do. Whether it hurts his feelings or not, we have a right to an opinion, and if our opinion is that Reynolds' form has tailed off recently, people are allowed to express that.

That's me just defending the people who have that view, personally I think he's fucking dynamite, and I reckon he'll go onto great things!

Glad to read the last part of your response as that is the encoragement I expect for a young player.

BUT read the posts I responded to and the negativity they convey and tell me that they are not undermining the superb efforts of a true Motherwell player who is determined to give everything for the team while seeking to go on and become a success in his profession. I know opinions are to be welcomed but young players thrive on encouragement and this young man has earned the right to be supported.

I've read the last few posts and I couldn't see anybody undermining his effort. I re-read the whole thread so far and I couldn't find anybody saying that he doesn't give anything less than 100%. There's a difference between undermining his effort & constructive criticism. The only post I've seen resembling constructive criticism is somebody at the start saying that they think Mark Reynolds sometimes gets turned too easily when playing at centre half. When you compare one post to the amount of threads and posts and shite we get about Marc Fitzpatrick, Steven McGarry etc etc (the former also being a young player, he must be roughly the same age as Reynolds?), you have to say that Reynolds gets it pretty good from our support. Regardless of that, NO player is exempt from criticism; we are an SPL team and the fans have a right to want the best from our players.

I don't even know why I'm debating this with you, because I fully agree that Reynolds is fucking class and will go on to bigger & better things!

Quite frankly I think anyone is entitled to undermine a players ability on a fan forum if they so choose. Its a forum for open discussion and if people dont appreciate his efforts they should say so.

Reynolds is an exeption, he is a fairly high quality Scottish player who will no doubt do well. In interviews of late (since rangers bid) I think he has handled his answers with true professionalism and I applaud him. Its well document that he chose football over furthering his education, Im sure he was a straight A student. He is a smart guy, conducts himself on and off the field in a composed manner and I'm delighted that he is eager to earn motherwell a transfer fee, afterall that is what he is here for. He gets on with business and that personally is all I would ask for in a motherwell player, young lads with ambition, drive and intelligence.

Once again I agree and respect your comments.

How easy is it to become negative about our young talent?

If Mark is successful and does bring us funds for the future will the critics feel bad?

I fear for all of our young players

as I did for Mark Fitz and the horrible effect that our "fans" have had on him. Criticism should always be constructive imo, especially for the young stars of the future.

Would you really say fans criticism of Fitz has had a huge effect on him. I would argue he just tries to get on with it. Would have to say, directing abuse at him from the stands is far different to venting your frustrations on a forum.

and i doubt any reynolds critics (as few as there seem to be) would care less, more likely to feel like they have robbed whoever buys him blind. MOney for a player they dont like... Great.

Final observation before bed time- yes I do think comment on forum affects and reflects opinion on the terracings, especially on our young fans whom I have heard quoting posts on here.

Yes I do think certain fans have used negativity on here to undermine players such as Fitz and Clarky and other young players.

Mark Reynolds is a bright star of the future and does not deseerve to be damned with faint praise or have his contribution questioned by "realists".

However, each to their own and me to mine.

My beef was with MB and his comment about "only looking good because everyone else was ...",

He was and is good because he is talented and never hides. I wish we had more like him and hope that we will.

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

If you have a beef with me, make sure you get the quote right. I said that "He only looked so good because...". And I didn't state that was the case, only asked the question. I have no doubts Reynolds is a good player. But there are many good players who ply their trade at SPL level and go no further. In my opinion, Reynolds has not looked consistently like a player destined for bigger things. Is that OK with you?

We're getting into dangerous territory if we can't criticise players on here (I rarely do it at the ground, and if I do it tends to be "You need to do better than that.." rather than "You're shite, X") in case they read it. And now you've extended it to say in case young fans quote the posts and it gives them a negative view.

Away and gie yerself peace...

Mark Reynolds is a bright star of the future and does not deseerve to be damned with faint praise or have his contribution questioned by "realists".

Mark Reynolds is a Motherwell player with his wages indirectly paid by the punters who I would then think are entitled to discuss his contributions to Motherwell FC, positive or otherwise. I'm a big believer in supporting the young guys (and any Motherwell player for that matter), but I think you are in danger of becoming just a tad precious if we can't possibly give anything other than glowing praise for our players, young or old; and for the record there is nothing in this thread that remotely comes close to a criticism of Mark. Merely a tempering comment or two which suggests he's not progresed at the rate initially thought when he had his debut season. MB was merely posing a question as to why that might be. That's not a crime, criticism, or even particularly negative imo

However, each to their own and me to mine.

Spot on. Why then the need to try and strangle other people's right to a viewpoint differing to your own?

EDIT: I see MB has already responded, ach well, I feel like chucking my two bobs worth in anyway. That's what a get for working and posting at the same time!

I don't expect the poster to follow everyones posting history but if they were to trawl through mine they'd see I stuck up for pretty much every scapegoat that some Motherwell fans get on the back of.

I'm not ladeling into Reynolds and fair play to him for being ambitious and not being a total tit about it but at this point in time like MB suggested I'm not seeing the level of performance that is going to make big clubs seriously interested. Now at one point Rangers(poor excuse of a big club I know)were in for him so it could happen again but I'm mainly saying how if he is planning to move on I hope he finds his best form soon so we get the benefit of it. I love to see young players come through at Motherwell and go on to bigger things but first and foremost I more concerned how they do for us and the potential for us to rake in a good fee and keep the production line going.

Welladad, I am seriously wonderring if you are Mark Reynolds' dad. Your comments are borderline delusional. Reynolds is nothing better than a decent SPL defender, and if he wasn't quick he wouldn't even be that. Some of the mistakes he has made make Craigan look like Franco Baresi and you're comparing him to Joe Wark?!?! You must be mental.

I said at the time, and I re-iterate it now, turning down the offer from the h**s for him was a HUGE mistake.

Welladad, I am seriously wonderring if you are Mark Reynolds' dad. Your comments are borderline delusional. Reynolds is nothing better than a decent SPL defender, and if he wasn't quick he wouldn't even be that. Some of the mistakes he has made make Craigan look like Franco Baresi and you're comparing him to Joe Wark?!?! You must be mental.

I said at the time, and I re-iterate it now, turning down the offer from the h**s for him was a HUGE mistake.

Fraz - you see the guy play regularly, and I dont so I don't question your opinion of the big chap.

Playing devils advocate, we have now had 3 managers who have rated Reynolds highly, and from what I hear from fans of other SPL clubs, they also appear to rate him.

Am not suggesting you are anti Reynolds at all, but are you focussing on his weaknesses rather than his attributes? There is a big chap at ManUre who is famous for his gaffs for club and country afterall!

I dont doubt the money from Rangers was in the ball park for him, but unless the money is spectacular, I have no wish to see players jump ship to another club in our league - especially when his contract has a few years left on it. The same goes for all the speculation re Hammel, and others.

I don't dislike Reynolds. He is an honest enough lad who tries his best, but given the level of ability he has, he should count himself lucky to be in our starting XI. For me, both Craigan and Hutchison are better centre halves, so if I was the manager Reynolds' best chance of playing would be at left back or in the defensive midfield role.

It's pretty obvious that you need different attributes to play in different positions, and to be centre half, in my opinion, you need to be able to mark, tackle and be positionally aware. Reynolds has none of these qualities. His main attributes are his pace, fitness and passing, and that's why I believe he'd be better served elsewhere on the park. However, regardless of position, I don't think he's good enough to make a significant step up and that's why we should've taken Rangers' arm off.