Ref For 'well V Gers

pop84

I'm not going to go down the "Oh no, woe, misery, woe....blah de blah" route but MacDonald's selection for the 2nd time in 4 games has made me wonder how these guys actually get selected for games.

Genuinely its something I've never really given any thought to.

I mean how many refs do the SFA have in the pool?

I assume its not just names out of a hat so how do they decide who to select for each game? Is there a criteria? Who selects them?

Quite curious.

Where are these SPLrefs.com posters when you need them!! :)

I'm not going to go down the "Oh no, woe, misery, woe....blah de blah" route but MacDonald's selection for the 2nd time in 4 games has made me wonder how these guys actually get selected for games.

I assume its not just names out of a hat so how do they decide who to select for each game? Is there a criteria? Who selects them?

Quite curious.

Where are these SPLrefs.com posters when you need them!! :)

I would guess that us, 'the wee diddy team' dont really come into it in the SPL's thinking.

Although many would disagree, McDonald is rated as one of the better refs, and this is a TV game involving the old firm. I think that has probably more to do with it than whether he's reffed us this season. On the plus side, we haven't lost with him on the park this season yet....

Interestingly the OF will have played two away games each after this weekend and will both have had Dougie McDonald and Craig Thomson for them. Also interesting is that Celtic play Dundee Utd on Saturday and Steve Conroy is refereeing, the same ref as Dundee Utd had in the first game like McDonald is with us. What I have noticed is that Charlie Richmond, Iain Brines, Eddie Smith and Calum Murray who were all frequently in about the high profile games last season have not refereed an SPL game yet this season, including this weekend to come. Add that to the fact that McCurry and Dougal have gone it means the new order are getting a good run at the SPL at the moment. How they are picked I have no idea but the OF always get the better refs when they are away. I assume they look at who is available, of them who has the best experience for a particular game and how long it is since they have had them last - I imagine its not an exact science.

Quite curious.

Where are these SPLrefs.com posters when you need them!! :whistling:

Apologies for not posting the ref for your game against Rangers earlier. Thanks to pop84 for posting it. :P

We'll try and find out from the SFA what criteria, if any, is used for the selection of referees.

I'll post an update on this thread if we get an answer.

Thanks

www.SPLrefs.com

I propose a sweepstake for the first card. Everybody sticks a quid in and whoever picks the right two minute block takes all!

Makes it a wee bit more interesting.

Reynolds might be a good shout for a yellow card or Whittaker from Rangers as both of them have been booked 3 times when McDonald has been the referee.

Good luck if you punt on them!

Apologies for not posting the ref for your game against Rangers earlier. Thanks to pop84 for posting it. -_-

We'll try and find out from the SFA what criteria, if any, is used for the selection of referees.

I'll post an update on this thread if we get an answer.

Thanks

www.SPLrefs.com

Good stuff, cheers for running with it. I have no axe to grind about any particular appointment just curious, now that the thought has popped into my head, to see if there is actually any method behind it.

Thanks again.

Quite curious.

Where are these SPLrefs.com posters when you need them!! :wallbash:

We have contacted the SFA regarding your query and their response is as follows:

"Having spoken to our Referee Development Officer I have been advised that category one referees are allocated to SPL games purely on an experience basis. So the most experienced referees are allocated to what is deemed to be the toughest fixtures of the weekend".

Although they didn't go into specific details about who selects them and how they determine who the most experienced refs are, it at least gives some further info.

Thanks

www.SPLrefs.com

Forgive me fellow 'Well fans for I have sinned

at one point during the first half after Murphy had dodged a scything tackle, I uttered the words

'Well played Referee' and then muttered to those around me 'He's having a decent game' :lol:

Never before have I been SO wrong, he was his usual terrible self although seemed to forget to book the usual handful of Motherwell players, progress :wallbash:

We have contacted the SFA regarding your query and their response is as follows:

"Having spoken to our Referee Development Officer I have been advised that category one referees are allocated to SPL games purely on an experience basis. So the most experienced referees are allocated to what is deemed to be the toughest fixtures of the weekend".

Although they didn't go into specific details about who selects them and how they determine who the most experienced refs are, it at least gives some further info.

Thanks

www.SPLrefs.com

Good effort! Cheers for taking the time to find our and post your findings.

At least it gives you an inkling as to why they have made the selections they do.

Thanks again :thumbup:

Thanks

www.SPLrefs.com

So in other words the shite referees are used as guinea pigs in fixtures that don't include the Old Firm. In my opinion all SPL referees should be up to the same standard and should be given a specific fixture list as to which games the referee so that is is fair all round.