Oooo, Ahhh Van Der Gaag!

Well Up For It!

See a wee snippet in today's Tory bum-f*ckin Sun that Motherwell legend Mitchell Van der Gaag has taking his first steps into management with SC Maritimo in Portugal.

He has been a youth coach at the club for a few years, and after Maritimo ditched their manager at the weekend, Van der Gaag has been drafted in to replace him.

Couldn't find a link to this I'm afraid...

And that got me thinking about all the former 'Well players to go on and manage at "bigger" clubs than 'Well, acheiving more than they did as a player. I know Van der Gaag played for Maritimo, but it's arguably a bigger club than us....

So what's your thoughts on former 'Well players as gaffers?? Who has done well, who has been shite??

And that got me thinking about all the former 'Well players to go on and manage at "bigger" clubs than 'Well, acheiving more than they did as a player. I know Van der Gaag played for Maritimo, but it's arguably a bigger club than us....

We signed (and sold back to if my memory is correct) Van Der Gaag from PSV who are a bigger club than Maritimo so how's he achieving more than he did as a player?

We signed (and sold back to if my memory is correct) Van Der Gaag from PSV who are a bigger club than Maritimo so how's he achieving more than he did as a player?

We bought him from PSV and sold him to Utrecht, but he spent half of his time at PSV out on loan, and was never a regular first team player during the other half. So his time at Maritimo probably was the peak of his playing career. His time at Fir Park aside, of course :D

So far the obvious names have bounced about, but what about the bad??

Ian St John anyone??

On talk sport the other day they were talking about good player don't make good managers ie Southgate, Keane, McGhee ( :D ), etc and all the best managers were pish players, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, etc.

Hows that apply to Well? Coyle can come under good manager and good player, but other than that the lesser Well players such as Davies, Martinez, Burley,etc have had most success. While a few of the better players, St John, Nijholt, McAllister, Lambert have had limited success if any.

Just done a wee bit of digging there. In a way, we're both right.

Van Der Gaag was a youth player with PSV, but seemingly they have some "co-operation agreement" set-up with Second Division FC Eindhoven which seems to be similar to a feeder club idea where they can swap players about. Van Der Gaag was under contract to FC Eindhoven when he signed for us, but I suppose you could say he was a PSV player since he could basically be called to play for them at any time. Don't think he ever did play for their first team though.

So far the obvious names have bounced about, but what about the bad??

Ian St John anyone??

On talk sport the other day they were talking about good player don't make good managers ie Southgate, Keane, McGhee ( :D ), etc and all the best managers were pish players, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, etc.

Hows that apply to Well? Coyle can come under good manager and good player, but other than that the lesser Well players such as Davies, Martinez, Burley,etc have had most success. While a few of the better players, St John, Nijholt, McAllister, Lambert have had limited success if any.

Billy Davies and George Burley were quality players for Motherwell, and Nijholt and Lambert have had a reasonable success for young managers.

In short, you're talking pish.

Ya diddy.

Billy Davies and George Burley were quality players for Motherwell, and Nijholt and Lambert have had a reasonable success for young managers.

In short, you're talking pish.

Ya diddy.

Aye maybe.

But what I ment is they never went on to have high profile careers as a player, apart from Lambert who I just don't rate as a manager. St John, McAllister and Coyle were all top international pedigree in my eyes.

Maybe I was a bit harsh in my summarisation... I did say limited as they are all fledgling managers.

How about Alex Mcleish , former player and Manager of ours, like it or not he has gone onto bigger and better things –

Hibs Manager

Rangers Manager

Scotland Manager

Birmingham Manager

He is probably our most successful former player/manager that is now in management.(prepared to be shot down)

Just done a wee bit of digging there. In a way, we're both right.

Van Der Gaag was a youth player with PSV, but seemingly they have some "co-operation agreement" set-up with Second Division FC Eindhoven which seems to be similar to a feeder club idea where they can swap players about. Van Der Gaag was under contract to FC Eindhoven when he signed for us, but I suppose you could say he was a PSV player since he could basically be called to play for them at any time. Don't think he ever did play for their first team though.

Van Der Gaag played plenty for PSV. He was never a first choice but in the early ninties he was getting 10 - 20 matches a season and played along side some impressive personnel - Romario, Erwin Koeman, Wim Kieft, Hans Van Breukelen, Gerald Vanenburg, Gheorghe Popescu, a young Ronaldo - and a certain Artur Numan later of Rangers. He also played with Scott Booth at Utrecht and a young Pepe at Maritimo, now of Real Madrid.

1988/89....PSV

1989/90....NEC

1990/91....Sparta 22 (2)

1991/92....Sparta 33 (1)

1992/93....PSV 10+6 (3)

1993/94....PSV 18+1 (1)

1994/95....PSV 7+2

1995/96....Motherwell 12 (1)

1996/97....Motherwell 26 (6)

1997/98....FC Utrecht 25 (1)

1998/99....FC Utrecht 16 (2)

1999/00....FC Utrecht 30+2 (7)

2000/01....FC Utrecht 18+8 (2)

2001/02....CS Maritimo 27 (3)

etc.

Bob Maaskant is the NAC Breda manaager. They qualified for Europe this season but were annihilated by Villarreal.

No mention of Derek Adams? Looks like he's doing a fine job up at Ross County. Eddie May's another,although maybe not for much longer.