Fao East Stand Middle Section

Moe_Green

Possession Football 101.

Possession football is a style employed by teams whereby a team will retain possession by passing the ball amongst their own team, the idea being is that by doing so they will encourage the opposition to move up the park to try and win the ball back,this allows the team in possession to exploit the spaces left by players coming to try and win the ball, as well as drawing teams out to contest the ball it can also cause frustration among opponents where they may lose their discipline of teams instructions and allow the team in possession to exploit this indiscipline.

Sadly shouts from the East stand (Middle section) consisting of -

A) Get the fucking baw up the park,

B) How many mair stupit passes ur they gonna play before they git it up the par

C) Haw Gannon git them telt ta git it in the boax ( Gannon is the one teaching the posession football, so shouting at him will only fall on deaf ears)

D) Imploring any player that comes within earshot to punt it intae the boax.

Will be correctly ignored, Malpas left a few years ago, Motherwell FC now play possession football, wake up FFS and get with the programme

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possession football is great when there is an end product to it. Unfortunately today there was no bite or spark to damage Falkirk when it mattered. That being said, it's good to watch a team trying to play football with the ball on the deck. Just lacking that cutting edge to our game at the moment.

Possession football is great when there is an end product to it. Unfortunately today there was no bite or spark to damage Falkirk when it mattered. That being said, it's good to watch a team trying to play football with the ball on the deck. Just lacking that cutting edge to our game at the moment.

I agree with most of what you say, we are a team full of young guys and most tof them are still getting to know each other, that and the fact Gannon is drilling them to play a particular way, It's gonna take a bit of time but we are heading the right way. Patience from the support is essential right now.

Agree with most of it. I love having all the possession but ONLY when we're having a proper go. The only league games ive only really seen us having a proper go is St Johnstone and Killie. 3 goals in the games since simply isnt good enough. If we dont score more goals then even a top 6 may be hard to reach. The good thing is that we're not losing much.

Possession Football 101.

Possession football is a style employed by teams whereby a team will retain possession by passing the ball amongst their own team, the idea being is that by doing so they will encourage the opposition to move up the park to try and win the ball back,this allows the team in possession to exploit the spaces left by players coming to try and win the ball, as well as drawing teams out to contest the ball it can also cause frustration among opponents where they may lose their discipline of teams instructions and allow the team in possession to exploit this indiscipline.

C) Haw Gannon git them telt ta git it in the boax ( Gannon is the one teaching the posession football, so shouting at him will only fall on deaf ears)

Will be correctly ignored, Malpas left a few years ago, Motherwell FC now play possession football, wake up FFS and get with the programme

+1, that's where I sit and there are individuals who criticise everything, e.g. Stevie Hammel excellent all day MOTM contender and when he missed 1 pass they were on his back. Its as rare as hens teeth to hear anyone shouting "well done" or "great ball" etc. or anything positive.

Possession Football 101.

There is a guy called Wullie sits in that section and to be honest i have never heard as much shite spouted at a football match in all my years than i have heard from this guy. It's unreal. He must be the most foul mouthed, ugliest guy that slags of every Motherwell player, linesman, referee. People are always turning around telling him to shut up and i'm surprised he's never been launched out of the park.

Overall I agree but some times we do over play tho. there were plenty of times when we were in good positions to cross the ball into the box but went back accross the park. I think that is why a lot of fans are getting frustrated. Could u really blame them today tho? I thought we were shocking in the 2nd half today. Sometimes the old hoof up the park, even if it is only to advance you up the pitch a few yards, is exactly what is needed. Let people have their opinions they are doing nobody any harm at the end of the day.

Still think the players are gettting used to the style of play the manager wants and at times are unsure what to do.

Hopefullly as the season progresses the team become used to each other and will create more chances with the cutting edge we all want to see.

Also, you will always get the punt it up the field, hes behind you, pass it , f**k thats a sh**e ball, punters no matter where you sit.

By the way thats why they are sitting in the stands.

I decided I would sit with my dad today and sat in this section with him and my brother.

After about 3 minutes we had a corner which Forbes was going to take but the ball kept blowing away from him, and a guy behind me moaned 'C'mon tae fuck Ross' before saying 'He's no' the same player anymore is he?' I just stood up and went to my usual seat before I decked the c**t :cheers:

The supporters down there are fucking ridiculous.

Overall I agree but some times we do over play tho. there were plenty of times when we were in good positions to cross the ball into the box but went back accross the park. I think that is why a lot of fans are getting frustrated. Could u really blame them today tho? I thought we were shocking in the 2nd half today. Sometimes the old hoof up the park, even if it is only to advance you up the pitch a few yards, is exactly what is needed. Let people have their opinions they are doing nobody any harm at the end of the day.

I'm not trying to deny anyone an opinion, but to sit and lay into the team the way they do when they don't seem to understand what they are trying to achieve does get on ones Tits after a while.

Possession Football 101.

Yeah...although throughout the east there is a smattering of diddies dotted about

Worse than that - we are talking about a support that thought Bob Malcolm was a quality signing with good passing skills.

Is it possible to be in 1 of the camps but not the other two. Personally I think you are talking pish.

You think weeyin's talking pish with that statement? :cheers:

It's okay Bob's gone now, you're allowed to tell the truth about him.

Guy behind where I sit in the Cooper was coming out with such gems as: "Just get past him", "Just put it in the net" etc.

Nice one Mr. Tactics, I don't think Gannon or the players had though of that! :nod:

I see Murphy and Forbes' honeymoon periods are over and they are now getting targetted by the boo boys. :cheers:

You think weeyin's talking pish with that statement? :cheers:

It's okay Bob's gone now, you're allowed to tell the truth about him.

I think you have misunderstood my point. What I mean is they are generalising that the fans who act like wanks in the original post are the same ones as the ones who applauded Richie Foran and thought Bob was good. I am asking him if it was possible to be in one camp but not the other 2.

I am not a one of the wanks that the original post talks about nor am I one of the fans who thought Bob Malcolm was good. However, I did applaud Richie Foran because I thought he was a decent player for us and feel it was my right to do so. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but when I wrote that earlier I had a stonking hangover. :(

Anyway wee yin and the other guy stop the generalisation :nod: .

This may be a sweeping generalisation but I think that it is the older members of our support that don't tolerate the passing about at the back. From what I hear round about me some of the old boys think that route one is the way forward (retro football).

Having said that although I know that patience and passing is the way forward it can be frustrating to watch. It's probably because as a team we don't have it right yet in the sense that when eventually the opening comes we are not quick enough to spot it particularly in relation to defenders running with the ball into space that opens up in front of them. On occasion the defender in space is playing it to the other defender who is actually more tightly marked, just for the sake of the pass. I think that is what Gannon is talking about when he says the players have to improve their decision making on the park.

It is the way forward and as fans we have to cut the players some slack and foster an environment that allows them to learn this way of playing (is that asking to much from the Well support?).

Hats off to Craigan yesterday btw. I think he more than most in fighting the temptation to launch it and he is actually doing it well. He played a couple of beautiful pinpoint cross field balls yesterday. He is obviously trying very hard to stay in the team which is great to see.

Hats off to Craigan yesterday btw. I think he more than most in fighting the temptation to launch it and he is actually doing it well. He played a couple of beautiful pinpoint cross field balls yesterday. He is obviously trying very hard to stay in the team which is great to see.

Totally agree, I also swear I seen him use the outside of his foot to pass the ball yesterday. I didn't even think Craigan knew he could use that part of his foot while under control of the ball. Although after his mazy run against Kilmarnock, I think a couple of times he was fighting the urge yesterday to take on few players but he thought he better not :lol:

I think I may have underrated his passing ability for FM <_>

This may be a sweeping generalisation but I think that it is the older members of our support that don't tolerate the passing about at the back. From what I hear round about me some of the old boys think that route one is the way forward (retro football).

Having said that although I know that patience and passing is the way forward it can be frustrating to watch. It's probably because as a team we don't have it right yet in the sense that when eventually the opening comes we are not quick enough to spot it particularly in relation to defenders running with the ball into space that opens up in front of them. On occasion the defender in space is playing it to the other defender who is actually more tightly marked, just for the sake of the pass. I think that is what Gannon is talking about when he says the players have to improve their decision making on the park.

It is the way forward and as fans we have to cut the players some slack and foster an environment that allows them to learn this way of playing (is that asking to much from the Well support?).

I Agree. If we keep the baw then they cannae score.

Simples

Aye did you see him turn and glare at the East Stand when he fired a ball from one wing to the other? <_>

Just as he'd launched it someone quite loudly yelled "That's fucking terrible" or along those lines only the ball to land right at the feet at the intended recipient (Hammell possibly).

Not amused I think!

Though it remains refreshingly Craiganesque to see him to do the occasional but traditional hoof up the park and end up slicing it sideways. As long as it doesn't end up in our own net ofcourse......