John Ruddy

weeyin

Saw this snippet in the Times Online match report today.

Ruddy’s loan spell at Fir Park ends in January but the goalkeeper is keen to extend that because he feels that Gannon is building something at Motherwell. “The manager is very methodical and knows what he wants and we have the foundations at the club to take on the top two. I am certainly keen to stay at Motherwell beyond this season.”

Hopefully we have the funds to make this a reality.

Although i'm doubtful we could raise the £250,000 needed to buy him, i'd say it would be money well spent.

Hopefully if we are looking to do anything further, such as extend his loan or even buy him, we do it before he gets the chance to impress anyone too much and start attracting interest.

Ruddy signed a 4 year deal with Everton at the end of the 2004/2005 season. So, if my arithmetic skills are still up to snuff, that should mean he's available on a Bosman at some stage this season. Of course, that doesn't mean he comes cheap as there would typically be some sort of signing fee going to the player himself, but I imagine it opens up more realistic possibilities. Especially if he is keen to stay.

Apart from the Europa League games, I've not actually seen Ruddy play until Saturday there. Good shot stopper aye, but for a big guy he came and flapped at about 4 crosses.

He solid with crosses.

The amount of times i've seen him catch it comfortably where Buzz woulda flapped at it.

He might be keen to stay but I think Motherwell FC will be less keen to pay a transfer fee.

If the £250,000 figure is true it would be one of the biggest transfer fee's we''ve ever paid and in this financial climate there is no chance of us spending that much. Frankly, in the post Bosman age, when a contract hardly protects a clubs investment it'd be daft for a club like us to pay that sort of money even if we did have it.

He might be keen to stay but I think Motherwell FC will be less keen to pay a transfer fee.

If the £250,000 figure is true it would be one of the biggest transfer fee's we''ve ever paid and in this financial climate there is no chance of us spending that much. Frankly, in the post Bosman age, when a contract hardly protects a clubs investment it'd be daft for a club like us to pay that sort of money even if we did have it.

Agreed. No way will we pay quarter of a mill on a player!

There's no way we'll pay £250,000 for Ruddy.

I'd be delighted if he stayed until the end of the season,he's a good 'keeper. I can't help feel though that he's helped by the fact he actually looks like a GK. Tall and broad,shouts at the defence in a loud voice etc. Image plays a huge part in how players are perceived. As Gazzy B states he's not as error free as some would have you believe.

You say we wont pay £250k for Ruddy.

We paid £110k for Hammell albeit that was out of the £250k for Paterson.

But maybe there is still some money in transfer kitty from the Clarkson,Quinn sales and the maybe thought Ruddy was too much of a risk to first gamble £250k.

only gagg and mcskimming we paid more for and you are right no way will we pay that amount[spencers fee will never be found out :rolleyes: ]

He does come for balls be has no chance of getting and has made one or 2 mistakes. However, he's twice the goalkeeper Smith was or ever will be. In fact, he's the best keeper I've seen in a 'Well shirt for a long time and would be delighted for any kind of extended deal.

Very true that. over the years we've never been blessed with that many exceptional keepers.

Big Sieb was probably the best on his day that I can remember - but he flew by the seat of his pants at times too and was a bit too erratic.

Big Ruddy is a breath of fresh air and is still young in keepers terms as well. Would love for us to hang onto him.

You watch any keeper in any game and they'll make errors. I really don't gie a fuck about that either - he's miles better than what we had.

I think big Ruddy is quality, but if we do have a £250k warchest lying about (which I doubt) then I'm not sure I'd want it blown on a goalie. Apart from anything else, they tend to command less of a transfer fee going forward so it's highly unlikely we'd sell him on for seven figures in the future.

£100k plus 5% sell-on clause would be reasonable I think. Would love him to stay though.

He does come for balls be has no chance of getting and has made one or 2 mistakes. However, he's twice the goalkeeper Smith was or ever will be. In fact, he's the best keeper I've seen in a 'Well shirt for a long time and would be delighted for any kind of extended deal.

Your sig is awesome. Actually just sat and pished myself for 5 minutes!!

:lol: