Jamie Murphy

Iain7_mfc

A couple of years ago i'm sure a heard on this very forum that he was the new Faddy. The guy couldn't lace Faddy's boots. He's just no good enough, whether he's playing wide or central it just doesn't seem to work. He had the potential but from the past two seasons he's not improved. Hope things start to get better for the guy but i just can't see him making it at this level. Hope he proves me wrong though.

Yep - seems to do better for Scotland when he gets to play right up top rather than where he plays with us. In fact the best game I ever saw him play was for Scotland U21s v N Irelan U21s last year. I think unless you play him as an out and out striker he is a waste of a jersey. McHugh looked a much more complete player than him tonight.

faddy has nothing to do with anything.

when jamie has played through the centre this season we've made chances. when he's been playing wide we haven't.

murphy is effective if you get him the ball in the final third or on a breakaway. when he plays wide right we give him the ball on the halfway line which is pointless.

when jamie has played through the centre this season we've made chances. when he's been playing wide we haven't.

murphy is effective if you get him the ball in the final third or on a breakaway. when he plays wide right we give him the ball on the halfway line which is pointless.

At times, on non-footballing topics, I've thought you're a c**t.

However, you totally get that Jamie Murphy is a Striker and not a Winger. Fair play.

Too many folk on here love having the blinkers on.

Let's be honest Faddy was a one-off

Every other young player goes through what Jamie is, they have 2 seasons of showing promise and then hit a bit of a wall and it's how they respond that marks out their career.

Look back at Clarky, hit the first team with a bang and then how many would have showed him the door a few seasons back? but he responded and earned his next move up.

Look even at Reynolds, many had him down as EPL class and then had some tough times last year but has started much better this season and will grow.

We need to support Jamie. I think he must be very frustrated he has been seen as the next biggie and then the likes of Forbes, Hutch, Saunders & Slane have come through and taken the press spotlight. Jamie has the potential to improve and I'm sure under Gannon he will given time.

I'm sure that next season or the season after we'll be having the same discusssions about Slane or Forbes or McHugh or the next Faddy!

Spot on.

Jamie isn't playing in his preferred role but it doesn't excuse him from poor decision making last night. He's on the park as a support striker and on the few occasions he was in the St Mirren half he should have been laying the ball off wide and going into the box to support Jutkeiwich. Instead he dallied long enough that he gave St Mirren a chance to get back and mark what little attacking players we have. To many times he dallied before choosing the wrong option.

Jamie is still young enough and will always get my backing. Comparing folk to Faddy is what happens to all our young strikers and it raises unrealistic expectations among fans. Faddy was a one-off, he wasn't compared with anyone and it let him concentrate on doing what he does best. Lets give our young players the same courtesy and backing and see where that takes them.

Jamie is still young enough and will always get my backing. Comparing folk to Faddy is what happens to all our young strikers and it raises unrealistic expectations among fans. Faddy was a one-off, he wasn't compared with anyone and it let him concentrate on doing what he does best.

Don't get me wrong, every player will get my backing and tbh we'll never have another player to compare to Faddy. It was a certain member of this board a long time ago that put that on his shoulders but, and most 'well fans probably followed suit.

The sooner people stop comparing players to McFadden the better. McFadden was a one off, no one has came close to his ability since, and anytime we get an attacking player, being branded "The Next McFadden" can often be their downfall. Lets just stop calling players "The Next ...." and let them concentrate on being themselves.

As for the topic matter, as I said in the Hearts thread, I think Murphy is good through the middle, as part of a 4-4-2, and I think the second half at Perth is as dangerous as our attack has looked- but you can't fit a system round one player who's not even an automatic pick.