Study Of Steelmen Online

gullane

I am currently studying Digital Culture at Edinburgh Uni. I had to pick an online community to analyse. As an ethnographic study, the aim is to to tell it as it is. Ethically, it is preferable for the researcher to be a participant rather than just an observer. As I have been using this Well forum for some time, I thought it would be worthwhile to analyse it.

It raised a fundamental question for me - why do I use Steelmen Online? If I'm honest, although the internet is a large part of my work, I probably hit Steelmen Online more than any other website. I want info and opinions on what's happening at Fir Park.

My study therefore focussed on some recent discussion on transfers. I looked at how our community shared stories, speculations and stories. I think that if you cut through the banter, the forum members are actually quite good at working out fact from fiction.

This was only a micro-study, and I suppose it could be possible to unearth various discussions where members went way off track and found consensus on issues that were complete fabrications. However, in all my years using Steelmen Online, I think it's quite easy to spot a posting of a good story or a piece of idle, juicy gossip.

Cheers