Ger O'brien

numpty

http://www.derryjournal.com/derry-sport/O3...well.5868943.jp

Kenny asks players to "give it one more season"

Published Date: 30 November 2009

Derry City defender Ger O'Brien is being chased by Scottish Premier League (SPL) side Motherwell FC, Candy Stripes manager Stephen Kenny has said.

The news that 25 year-old O'Brien is being linked with a move to Fir Park comes only days after the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) announced that all Derry City players are now free agents because of the club's expulsion from the League of Ireland.

Kenny stated that he thought it would be a "great opportunity" for O'Brien who signed for Derry City before the beginning of the 2009 season.

"Ger has attracted attention from Motherwell," said Kenny. "It's a great opportunity for him but I think that he is waiting to find out about their financial situation before signing anything. At the minute I think that they are only able to offer him a deal until the end of the season but understandably he is holding out for something longer."

It is also believed that striker Sammy Morrow is also a possible candidate for the SPL having courted attention from Kilmarnock FC. Sligo Rovers are reportedly interested in signing winger Gareth McGlynn and Premier Division champions Bohemians are close to securing the signature of defender Steven Gray. Also, Irish League side Portadown are interested in signing both goalkeeper Gerard Doherty and midfielder Ciaran Martyn.

It is also understood that central defender Clive Delaney is considering resuming his career as a chartered accountant with Dublin the most likely destination and David Scullion has moved to Australia.

Elsewhere, Ruadhri Higgins will spend a second week on trial with SPL side Aberdeen and there have been rumours linking midfielder Kevin Deery and forward Thomas Stewart with Dublin team Shamrock Rovers.

Last week Derry City's financial situation was put to the sword when they were put into administration. The players and back room staff had not been paid for over 10 weeks and the Sunday Journal understands that the administrators met with the club on Friday and told them that only players who had been at the Brandywell for over two years were entitled to a redundancy payout.

Kenny who rejoined Derry in December 2007 is not entitled to any redundancy money and like all of his players he has had to "write off" the wages he was owed.

"Players and staff who have been with the club for less than two years are not entitled to any redundancy money. I have been with Derry for little under two years so I am not entitled to any money," he said.

"I think it's important to understand that the players have been treated extremely badly. They have had to write off a lot of money and they have been left high and dry. I also have had to write off any money I was owed. I know it's a lot for me to ask players to sign again for much less money but hopefully something can happen."

He continued: "If we can keep our most talented local players together then we might be able to compete next season," claimed Kenny. "If the players were to give it one more season with the club I think we would have a good chance of gaining promotion and we would still have quite a good side. But I am realist and I understand why the would chose to move on because some of the players deserve to be competing in the Premier Division."

At the beginning of the week it was revealed that Kenny had turned down the opportunity to manage Dundalk FC in next season's Premier Division. Instead, the 38 year-old signed a "revised" two year contract with the Brandywell club.

When asked if his vision for next season had been made any clearer in the last few days Kenny said that he has to wait until next year's budget is finalised by the new board.

"Every single one of my players has been told that they can leave the club," said Kenny. "Because of what has happened in the last few weeks I am no position to offer any of my current players anything for next season. When I agreed my new contract with the board we agreed in principal an approximation of what the budget might be but I probably won't be able to start having meaningful conversations with players regarding new contracts until next week."

Meanwhile, James McClean has decided not to join English League Two side, Lincoln City. The 19 year-old Northern Ireland Under 21 spent a few days on trial with the Imps before returning home to Derry.

"James's father phoned me and said he was homesick and won't be leaving Ireland," said Lincoln City manager and former Celtic and Chelsea player Chris Sutton.

"It's unfortunate because we've been impressed with what we've seen of him."

Sutton added: "Historically some of the Irish players who have come over have struggled to settle.

"He does come from a big family but I thought two days was a little short, I'd have expected him to give it a week."

Kenny concluded by saying that he hopes to convince the promising youngster to stay with Derry and help them return to the Premier Division as soon as possible.

"I am a big fan of James and I hope that he decides to stay with the club," said Kenny. "James loves football. He is first on the training ground and sometimes I have to drag him off it because he is so enthusiastic. As a manager it is a real pleasure to work with people who love football the way James does. I am quite keen to keep him."

This guy is shite, get him to fuck he can't pass a ball, cross a ball or even defend.

If he does sign there is bound to be a thread on here about how shite he is before long, might aswell start one now.

Och give it a rest.

Motherwell eye up move for Derry City defender Ger O'Brien

Dec 1 2009

MOTHERWELL are in talks with Derry City defender Ger O'Brien, according to the Irish club's manager Stephen Kenny.

Fir Park boss Jim Gannon has targeted the former Shamrock Rovers full back to bolster his threadbare defensive ranks.

O'Brien is able to move clubs now after the Football Association of Ireland ruled that Derry players were free agents following a contracts scandal.

The 25-year-old is a right-back but can play anywhere across the back four.

"Ger has attracted attention from Motherwell," Kenny told the Derry Journal.

"It's a great opportunity for him but I think that he is waiting to find out about their financial situation before signing anything.

"At the minute I think that they are only able to offer him a deal until the end of the season but understandably he is holding out for something longer."

Well could also move for Lancaster City striker Jordan Connerton, who spent time on trial at Fir Park last month.

The 19-year-old has scored 21 goals this season for the Unibond League side.

If he signs I hope he's not another Danny Murphy in disguise.

After rave reviews from Cork City fans I was certain that Danny was set to be a Motherwell legend.

We will just have to trust Gannon on this one and hope Ger O'Brien (if he signs) goes on to be a true Motherwell legend.