Iain Brines This Saturday

Guest 'Flow

The referee for Saturday's game against Hibs is Iain Brines. The full list of match officials can be found by clicking on the link below.

This Week's Referees (5th and 6th December)

You will also find on the site a wide range of stats relating to Iain Brines including Motherwell games he has refereed and his general refereeing stats over the last 2 seasons.

Iain Brines: Motherwell

SPLrefs.com working together with the fans to improve refereeing standards in Scotland

I've always found him an arrogant school teacher kind of ref who respects no-one. After Jim Gannon's statements I'm thinking we might get some payback from Brines, but hoping not.

I think we have to cut 'father' Brines a wee bit of slack folks he has been a decent ref recently and realised after he dissallowed a ferfectly good goal against his beloved Smeltic by Zander Diamond at Torbitt towers 2 seasons ago that his career might do a 'brother' McCurry. :O

First goal : offside

Hammell's booking : it was the hibee that was tugging his shirt

Murphy's booking : it was never a dive, play should have carried on or the ref should have awarded a penalty.

A motherwell corner : Should have been a free kick on the edge of the box for a clear handball.

Ref's have always been the same....

But Brines was not the worst official today.

The linesman in front of the Main Stand was one of the worst I've seen in Scottish football, including the Juniors!

We reckon that the ball went out of play on four occasions yet he failed to give a decision. Await the replay on the "offside" before the opening goal.

First goal : offside

Hammell's booking : it was the hibee that was tugging his shirt

Murphy's booking : it was never a dive, play should have carried on or the ref should have awarded a penalty.

A motherwell corner : Should have been a free kick on the edge of the box for a clear handball.

Ref's have always been the same....

Said on the radio the ref asked O'Brien it was if he wanted the free kick or the corner. Surely that's not true.

Said on the radio the ref asked O'Brien it was if he wanted the free kick or the corner. Surely that's not true.

No, Brines was clearly indicating that the ball going out for the corner was in his mind as good as the free kick from just outside the box where the handball occurred. So he gave the corner.

I thought the goal was onside. The Murphy dive I thought he was probably right with as well. Certainly was looking for it and am sure the defender played the ball. The Hammell one was a shocker and the free kick/corner I wasn't sure about - that would have been the linesman's call though as the ref would not have been in the best position to call that. Overall I thought he made some mistakes but nothing that had any influence on the outcome of the game.

Brines was his usual over-efficious and fussy self, and certainly appeared keener to book our players. The Hammell yellow was shocking as the Hibs player clearly had a handful of Stevie's jersey. One of the many things the main stand side lineman missed!

The Murphy yellow for a 'dive' was very poor, looked a clear penalty and again was right in front of the linesman, who again did nothing. The handball was so obvious and I can't understand why a free-kick wasn't given. Once again it was right in front of the linesman. What was Brines signalling at that point anyway?

Now, the linesman. How many times was the ball over the touchline and he failed to spot it? A very poor official who should hand back his fee for yesterday as he clearly failed to carry out his job.

It sems the refs payback to Gannon has started, the next two weeks should see it intensify sadly.