Mst Football Forum Evening

AndyRoss

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant night! Well done to all those who organised it.

two things of note...

He might have dodged the question about his contract but going on everything else he said it appears gannon is here to stay for a while.

McCart wants slane but from the way him and gannon were talking i get the impression thats not gonnay happen.

Great night and for once a Great panel. Jim Gannon is already a Well Legend after tonight. Craig Brown for next Scotland manager cos he know what he's talking aboot!! :D Enjoyed Hately and McCart awell, both gave very intereting answers as expected. All in all, a good night for the Trust and hopefully they are back on track after some recent difficulties

Thoroughly enjoyed last night, thanks to everyone who organised it and to the members of the panel for still turning up on a cold snowy Thursday. All four of them would be cracking guys to have a few pints with and hear a few of there stories, sound guys all of them.

As others have said, every time I hear big Jim I'm more and more impressed by him. Articulate, intelligent and tells you how it is, I thought that he dealt with the question regarding his contract very well and totally agree with him, contracts aren't worth the paper that they are written on and that he feels that he owes Motherwell for taking him on when he was unemployed. I feel that he is the type that likes to see things through and watch his teams and players develop. He has a refreshing philosopy towards football and developing the players.

Not able to make last night because of a prior commitment. Glad too see that it seemed to go quite well.

Was there a decent turn out of Well fans??

And most importantly is anyone willing to share some more detail of Jimbo's responses to questions that were put to him....................

Did the question of the loanees come up and the likelihood of them staying?? What about the situation with Jim O'Brien??

Would be grateful to hear a little more........please...

Thanks very much to everyone who turned up last night, with 100+ 'Well fans turning out on a terrible night the week before Xmas.

Was also chuffed to note that the Trust received 53 memberships last night, including messrs Gannon and Cowan, which is great.

I'm sure there'll be a press release out shorty, if there isn't already, for the folk who weren't able to make it along.

Thanks again to everyone who came and supported the night- hopefully a lot of you enjoyed it enough to come along to future events.

Cheers

+1. Logged on this morning and was expecting this thread to have grown legs! B-)

From my perspective it was a pretty enjoyable evening.

Thought it was well handled by Andy Devlin who ensured that all the panel members were given an opportunity to air their views and that it didn't solely end up with everything aimed at Gannon who would be the star attraction for most. Only fair given the wide and varied panel.

General topics discussed amongst other things included the pros and cons of summer football, youth development and the Scottish national team past and present.

As for MFC stuff two things grabbed my attention most. First was Gannon's revelation that he had declined to talk all teams who had enquired of his availability since coming to Fir Park when asked if he was going to be here for the long term. He initially seemed to take a wee bit of umbrage at the question as if his commitment was being called into question, before being swiftly assured that it was a fear of him departing that prompted the question. He responded well to that one reminding the audience that he owes John Boyle a debt of gratitude for taking him on when he was unemployed and considers himself a loyal and hard working employee.

The other when asked why he chose to play the likes of Meechan, McHugh and Pollock last Saturday when he had experienced players available were that they were better. He qualified that remark I felt while answering that question and a couple of other times by pointing out that he had to know if these boys were of a sufficient quality to be of use later in the season and that there was no better place to find out. He gave the example of having faith in Bob McHugh to take over from Lukas if he returns south.

Other stuff of note was the plan of succession he aimed to have in place where if one player goes another would be available to step in.......McCart admitted that the club let him go to Celtic on the proviso he didn't sign any of our youths. He tried his luck in the summer with McHugh and Slane but the club hunted him.......Gannon mentioned the conditioning work on Jamie Murphy......Gannon spoke of the discipline he demands on the park believing that fouls = free-kicks. Less free-kicks = less goals conceded = more points and less suspensions etc.

Probably a lot more you could add but that'll do for now.

As I say though a pretty good evening and look forward to the next one.

if mcghee hadn't been under contract then we would haven't got the £200k so it obviously was worth something. disagree?

Not about disagreeing, perfectly valid point, just the fact that you made it given your obvious dislike for all things Gannon, presumably with some glee. Can just imagine you cackling behind your keyboard as you typed. Have we got a wee witchypoo smiley at all?

Not about disagreeing, perfectly valid point, just the fact that you made it given your obvious dislike for all things Gannon, presumably with some glee. Can just imagine you cackling behind your keyboard as you typed. Have we got a wee witchypoo smiley at all?

it's got nothing to do with my opinion of gannon. the statement was a load of shite and especially nonsense considering we recently got a six figure sum for a manager under contract.

as far as gannon goes i've got my opinion other people have got theirs. the next six weeks is massive for us, we're eight points off the bottom and seven points off europe.

if mcghee hadn't been under contract then we would haven't got the £200k so it obviously was worth something. disagree?

True, but his contract, which tied him to the club, could always end up being a waste of time as all it would take would be a decent compensation offer from another club and he would be away. Which was exactly my point, but really deep down you knew that anyway didn't you?

If contracts were still worth anything McGhee would still be our manager seeing out the last year of his deal.

Hows that ?

Aberdeen bought him out his contract for a fair price.

I think Steelboys point is if a manager isnt under contract he can just walk away and we wouldnt get a penny for them ?

I think Steelboys point is if a manager isnt under contract he can just walk away and we wouldnt get a penny for them ?

gannon clearly meant that a contract means very little if someone wants or doesnt want to be at a club. There are always ways out of them so in that sense they are worthless. Nothing more than that.

gannon clearly meant that a contract means very little if someone wants or doesnt want to be at a club. There are always ways out of them so in that sense they are worthless. Nothing more than that.

And Steelboy clearly meant that not having a contract is worthless , on the other hand McGhee having one made us £200k as without one all we wouldve got was a "toodle ooh" as he waltzed out the door on his way North. Id also imagine they are a reassuring sign of commitment to a player considering signing on for a manager at any given club.

Slavery has been abolished , dont think theres any arguing that you cant force people to do a job they dont want.

They do ensure compensation for your assets though id have thought ?