Mark Guidi

Burma

CELTIC should have wrapped up victory long before Marco Fortune came to the rescue with a spectacular late winner.

But the Hoops will be thankful they made life difficult for themselves because it let the under-fire striker become the hero.

Fortune has struggled to provide value for money since his £3.8million move from Nancy in the summer.

But one swing of his right boot 10 minutes from time produced a rocket shot that flew past John Ruddy to keep Celts on top of the SPL.

It was an outstanding goal and settled a thrilling game.

Celtic opened the scoring with another superb strike from Georgios Samaras but Well roared into a half-time lead thanks to goals from Lukas Jutkiewicz and Mark Reynolds.

Aiden McGeady levelled but it looked like being another frustrating day for Tony Mowbray when Barry Robson missed a penalty.

However, Fortune came off the bench and netted within seconds to send the travelling support wild.

Mowbray decided to go with the same team that crushed Aberdeen last week. That allowed Samaras to join Scott McDonald up front again but something still seems missing in their partnership.

The strike duo are often too far apart and need to play in tandem more. However, the Greek striker was a threat and scored in 14 minutes.

He gathered the ball inside the Motherwell half and ran past three defenders to open up a sight of goal.

Samaras then cracked home a terrific finish from 14 yards but Well's defending lacked conviction and boss Jim Gannon would have been angry.

Celtic's backline also didn't look clever as they allowed Motherwell to seize the initiative before the break.

The Fir Park side levelled in 26 minutes when Robert McHugh whipped in a cross to the near post.

Artur Boruc came for the ball but got nowhere near it as Jutkiewicz nipped in front of the hesitant Gary Caldwell to score with a lovely finish.

Gannon's men then went ahead on the stroke of half-time when Glenn Loovens failed to deal with Tom Hateley's free-kick into the box.

The Dutchman could only flick the ball to the back post and Well star Reynolds - left unmarked by Andreas Hinkel - nipped in to shoot past Boruc from close range.

Celtic felt aggrieved at being behind and showed great determination in the second half.

Mowbray's men pushed forward relentlessly and could have scored five after the break.

McGeady was denied twice by Ruddy in the first half after superb runs but the on-loan Everton goalie had no chance in 52 minutes.

The Hoops winger collected a pass from Samaras inside the box and created half a yard for himself before rifling home a left-foot shot.

Celtic knew they couldn't afford more dropped points away from home and went all out for victory.

Ref Charlie Richmond helped their cause in 65 minutes when he pointed to the spot after Samaras was tripped by stopper Steven Saunders.

The Greek wanted to take it but couldn't get the ball from Robson. And Samaras must have been raging when the midfielder's effort was saved by Ruddy low to his right.

The Well keeper played a blinder and made another outstanding stop to deny Samaras from close range.

Mowbray threw on Fortune for left-back Danny Fox as he went for broke and the gamble paid off.

McDonald laid the ball into the striker's path and he took a touch before crashing home an unstoppable 20-yarder.

Despite the defeat Gannon was happy with Well - and rightly so.

He picked a young side and they made the Hoops work extremely hard for their victory.

Steven Meechan and McHugh were handed SPL debuts and both youngsters did well. The Steelmen played some nice stuff and weren't frightened to get the ball down and make passes.

They just didn't have enough from middle to front to penetrate Celtic and all Gannon needs is a bit of experience in his side.

If he has some money to spend next month he should go for an older head.

The Well boss will also hope to keep Ruddy. His loan finishes next month but the keeper could hold the key to a top-six finish.

As for Celtic, they've now claimed four wins on the spin - but the team still seems to be lacking a few things.

Mowbray will try to sort it and he needs the backing of his board.

How much more one sided can the press really be. Apart from the unforgivable error of claiming that McHughs 11th appearance for the first team was his debut (a mistake i doubt very much would have been made for any old firm player) there was no mention of 16yr old Pollok getting a game. In truth I beleive that given the financial disparity between the two clubs (we bring on a 16 yr old and they bring on a £4million Champions League striker) we can be more optimistic than celtic fans. Beating us by the odd goal in five does not make you a fantastic team. Gannon is trying to build a team, Mowbray is trying to buy one, hence the final comment Mr Guidi. Mowbray NEEDS millions to beat teams who have nothing.

CELTIC should have wrapped up victory long before Marco Fortune came to the rescue with a spectacular late winner.

But the Hoops will be thankful they made life difficult for themselves because it let the under-fire striker become the hero.

Fortune has struggled to provide value for money since his £3.8million move from Nancy in the summer.

But one swing of his right boot 10 minutes from time produced a rocket shot that flew past John Ruddy to keep Celts on top of the SPL.

It was an outstanding goal and settled a thrilling game.

Celtic opened the scoring with another superb strike from Georgios Samaras but Well roared into a half-time lead thanks to goals from Lukas Jutkiewicz and Mark Reynolds.

Aiden McGeady levelled but it looked like being another frustrating day for Tony Mowbray when Barry Robson missed a penalty.

However, Fortune came off the bench and netted within seconds to send the travelling support wild.

Mowbray decided to go with the same team that crushed Aberdeen last week. That allowed Samaras to join Scott McDonald up front again but something still seems missing in their partnership.

The strike duo are often too far apart and need to play in tandem more. However, the Greek striker was a threat and scored in 14 minutes.

He gathered the ball inside the Motherwell half and ran past three defenders to open up a sight of goal.

Samaras then cracked home a terrific finish from 14 yards but Well's defending lacked conviction and boss Jim Gannon would have been angry.

Celtic's backline also didn't look clever as they allowed Motherwell to seize the initiative before the break.

The Fir Park side levelled in 26 minutes when Robert McHugh whipped in a cross to the near post.

Artur Boruc came for the ball but got nowhere near it as Jutkiewicz nipped in front of the hesitant Gary Caldwell to score with a lovely finish.

Gannon's men then went ahead on the stroke of half-time when Glenn Loovens failed to deal with Tom Hateley's free-kick into the box.

The Dutchman could only flick the ball to the back post and Well star Reynolds - left unmarked by Andreas Hinkel - nipped in to shoot past Boruc from close range.

Celtic felt aggrieved at being behind and showed great determination in the second half.

Mowbray's men pushed forward relentlessly and could have scored five after the break.

McGeady was denied twice by Ruddy in the first half after superb runs but the on-loan Everton goalie had no chance in 52 minutes.

The Hoops winger collected a pass from Samaras inside the box and created half a yard for himself before rifling home a left-foot shot.

Celtic knew they couldn't afford more dropped points away from home and went all out for victory.

Ref Charlie Richmond helped their cause in 65 minutes when he pointed to the spot after Samaras was tripped by stopper Steven Saunders.

The Greek wanted to take it but couldn't get the ball from Robson. And Samaras must have been raging when the midfielder's effort was saved by Ruddy low to his right.

The Well keeper played a blinder and made another outstanding stop to deny Samaras from close range.

Mowbray threw on Fortune for left-back Danny Fox as he went for broke and the gamble paid off.

McDonald laid the ball into the striker's path and he took a touch before crashing home an unstoppable 20-yarder.

Despite the defeat Gannon was happy with Well - and rightly so.

He picked a young side and they made the Hoops work extremely hard for their victory.

Steven Meechan and McHugh were handed SPL debuts and both youngsters did well. The Steelmen played some nice stuff and weren't frightened to get the ball down and make passes.

They just didn't have enough from middle to front to penetrate Celtic and all Gannon needs is a bit of experience in his side.

If he has some money to spend next month he should go for an older head.

The Well boss will also hope to keep Ruddy. His loan finishes next month but the keeper could hold the key to a top-six finish.

As for Celtic, they've now claimed four wins on the spin - but the team still seems to be lacking a few things.

Mowbray will try to sort it and he needs the backing of his board.

How much more one sided can the press really be. Apart from the unforgivable error of claiming that McHughs 11th appearance for the first team was his debut (a mistake i doubt very much would have been made for any old firm player) there was no mention of 16yr old Pollok getting a game. In truth I beleive that given the financial disparity between the two clubs (we bring on a 16 yr old and they bring on a £4million Champions League striker) we can be more optimistic than celtic fans. Beating us by the odd goal in five does not make you a fantastic team. Gannon is trying to build a team, Mowbray is trying to buy one, hence the final comment Mr Guidi. Mowbray NEEDS millions to beat teams who have nothing.

1/ I assume he meant that it was Bob's starting debut as he has only come on as a sub in previous games

2/ I agree, a glaring ommission regarding young Jamie

As for his report, it wasn't far off the mark as they did outplay us several times and he did give credit where it was due He praised Ruddy and our youngsters and stated that :-

"Despite the defeat Gannon was happy with Well - and rightly so.

He picked a young side and they made the Hoops work extremely hard for their victory."

I think "the boys done good"

bring on the bluenoses. :ph34r:

1/ I assume he meant that it was Bob's starting debut as he has only come on as a sub in previous games

2/ I agree, a glaring ommission regarding young Jamie

As for his report, it wasn't far off the mark as they did outplay us several times and he did give credit where it was due He praised Ruddy and our youngsters and stated that :-

"Despite the defeat Gannon was happy with Well - and rightly so.

He picked a young side and they made the Hoops work extremely hard for their victory."

I think "the boys done good"

bring on the bluenoses. :D

Well thats what I assumed although Bob did start against ICT and scored in that game. What annoys me the most about this type of reporting is that its lazy. That was a fact that was easily and readily available to me, and yet the guy who is paid to report and research his subject matter doesnt care enough to do it right. Its fairly typical and it would not be tolerated by his superiors if he were doing it week in week out with the old firm.

this is the very same tit when reading the teams out on radio celtic yesterday had jennings as a defender , saunders in midfield alongside mchugh, he also pronounced coke as cokey , this muppet is a well known celtic sympethesiser(sp) and i would be amazed if he knew anything about anyone other than the h**s and tims hence why he works for both clyde and the hunday mail. the guys an out and out prick,

Im sure if you read match reports on every celtic or rangers game there is mistakes made on their players, lazy as it is, if you want quality buy a quality newspaper.

And Jamie Pollock is 17, nearly 18.

The comment about the journalist "being one of them so he has to be biased" is stupid. So motherwell fans can't admit celtic were the better team yesterday, simply because they support motherwell? I don't think so.

I think this thread is just about nit picking and having a moan, nothing wrong with that but it just makes you look slightly bitter.

Well thats what I assumed although Bob did start against ICT and scored in that game. What annoys me the most about this type of reporting is that its lazy. That was a fact that was easily and readily available to me, and yet the guy who is paid to report and research his subject matter doesnt care enough to do it right. Its fairly typical and it would not be tolerated by his superiors if he were doing it week in week out with the old firm.

But that was not his SPL debut, that was in a cup game.This game was Bob's SPL debut start. :P

How much more one sided can the press really be.

It's not the worse I've read however it does seemed leaning on Celtic's perspective of the game. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that had came from someone trying to be impartial on a Celtic fan page.